Science Forums

New sections

Tormod

After a lot of work, we finally unveil two new sections of the forums.

The first one is our Science gallery, which has been open for a while during beta testing, but is now considered an integral part of the site. Everyone can browse the categories, but only registered members can view full size images. The gallery will be curated by Alexander and Dark Mind.

The second is our Science links directory. This is in fact a direct port of our old link collection, but now neatly integrated into the forums. There is some work left to do on weeding out dead links. The links directory is open for all, also non-members, but only members can post replies and rate links. Please give it a spin and make sure you report dead links...

To find the sections please use the main menu.

___Tormod said, "What format do you use? I can of course up the attachment size limit for images."

___I have been saving my scans as .jpg & scanning at 150 dpi in grayscale & color document modes. One of my recent Katabatak color graphs was 649KB before I shrank it down. It is a convoluted trail for the Katabatak stuff as I do the graphs on a dinosaur computer with a very good printer (up to 13x19" inkjet) & then scale them to fit 8x11, print, & then scan the print... Annnnyyy way, I am open to ways I can improve the clarity of precise geometry in my attachments.

PS to Tormod. Certain large prints are extant & awaiting my due diligence in their regard B)

It is a convoluted trail for the Katabatak stuff as I do the graphs on a dinosaur computer with a very good printer (up to 13x19" inkjet) & then scale them to fit 8x11, print, & then scan the print...

Are you saying that you produce the image on a computer, print it and then scan it back in? This seems like the long way around. For constructions I would search around on the web for a free 2D CAD software. You get that compass & straight edge functionality and you don't need to print your drawings to create jpgs or gifs.

___It is long indeed; got a minute? First, this computer I use to get on the web is pretty new, but not mine. It has no floppy drive BTW. The computer I use for making my drawings is an old hand-me-down with Windows 95. The software I use is Canvas by Deneba version 3.something. I got this years ago for just $25 (it is several hundred) in a group purchase. They now are up to version 8.0 & 3-D now, but they say it won't recognize files as old as mine. I did the first vesica piscis diagram with it.

___The latter two vesica piscis constructions I did by hand & then scanned; the fine pencil lines disapeared almost after reducing the image (this problem is taken care of thank you Sir Tormod).

___I have to ask for permission to put any software on this machine, so I will see about that. B)

One solution would be to get a USB floppy drive that you can connect to the computer you use for the internet, assuming the Win95 box has a floppy drive. It is a cumbersome kludge though and you would not need a USB floppy drive for years to come since floppies are nearly obsolete. Does the Win95 box have USB ports (even if they are inoperative)? If so you might could boot it with a Knoppix CD. It comes with a couple of graphics programs like GIMP. I think it may have a simple CAD program as well. Since it supports USB it would allow you to use a USB drive to move files between computers and you will get a lot of continuing use out of a USB drive. A few thoughts you may find helpful.

___First to Tormod, I tested the new limit a couple times; once it said my limit was 488KB, & I tried a test in the test section & it said I was over limit. Do I need to start winnowing out some old attachments? Also I see my new gallery & I can't wait to prepare some higher definition versions of the graphs. I think I will need instruction on how to do all that.

___Now to C1ay. The dinosaur does have a disk drive (which works intermitently) & this web machine is part of another roomates local network & he has a floppy in one machine & said I could copy them into a shared folder & get them here to this machine that way. Of course Canvas looses a lot of resolution & detail when you use its convert to jpg function, not to mention that it is a jpg format these machines refuse to recognize. The old machine hasn't a USB either.

___I think now with Tormod's adjustments that I can at least not have to shrink the scans & maybe even scan at a higher resolution. I am always happy to try & make do with what is at hand. B)

No, no, Turtle, no need to delete anything. I had forgot that there is a limit on max uploads per user. Well in cases like your own the gallery will come to the rescue. Just go into your member category there and try to hit the upload button. If there *is* no upload button for you, let me know.

___There is an upload button, but I get this message when I click it:

Turtle, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.