Science Forums

Hi!

SheriAyn

I'm Sheri. My interests are Astronomy, Physics, Biology, and Mathematics. I live in Arizona and work in cancer research.

On my way home from work today it occurred to me that if space is expanding then at some point molecules, atoms and eventually protons and neutrons will no longer exist. Is this true or do the forces that hold matter together adjust with the expansion of space? If it is true, what will be left?

On a side note, somewhere I read about how humans in the future might save themselves from this fate by somehow leaping into another universe. Even if this other universe had the same laws of physics, wouldn't our state of expansion prevent us from ever doing this? I can't imagine what kind of physical adjustment a body would have to go through to instantaneously change it's spatial relationship. I am assuming of course that the other universe would not have expanded to the point ours has. Otherwise, what would be the point in going there?

I realize we probably don't have an answer to this question but I was wondering what other people might think.

Welcome!

Interesting question. My best friend and I have discussed it more than two adult human beings should.

If the universe is expanding proportionately, then all divisions of it are expanding proportionately. Perception is all. If not, then we should be able to detect the precursors of the current configuration of matter. After that I have to defer to the science types. I'm just a guy who applies logic to observation. (I think I may have come up with a decent definition for science.)

Sorry for the distraction. Your question was too interesting to resist.

Again, welcome!

--lemit

I'm Sheri. My interests are Astronomy, Physics, Biology, and Mathematics. I live in Arizona and work in cancer research.

On my way home from work today it occurred to me that if space is expanding then at some point molecules, atoms and eventually protons and neutrons will no longer exist. Is this true or do the forces that hold matter together adjust with the expansion of space? If it is true, what will be left?

On a side note, somewhere I read about how humans in the future might save themselves from this fate by somehow leaping into another universe. Even if this other universe had the same laws of physics, wouldn't our state of expansion prevent us from ever doing this? I can't imagine what kind of physical adjustment a body would have to go through to instantaneously change it's spatial relationship. I am assuming of course that the other universe would not have expanded to the point ours has. Otherwise, what would be the point in going there?

I realize we probably don't have an answer to this question but I was wondering what other people might think.

Those are what I term "tasty questions". All good things in all good time. :)

First of all, welcome to Hypography! ;)