Science Forums

Multi-LED project

this isn't a school project but i still am in dire need of help.

there are two project parts i need help with and they are almost the same

the first, i need to be able to toggle between 31 individual LEDs with a momentary switch.

and the same for the second but with 12 LEDs

I haven't had electronics class since i was in 6th grade

HELP!!! :joker:

What's it going to DO? I know you say switch, but how fast, what pattern, do you want varying brightnesses? Dim functions? Are you capable of programming/using a pic microcontroller and breadboarding or limited to down&dirty 1/8" solder globs and "roach" wiring?

'Sno biggie. 2^5 = 32. Five on-off swiches and a little logic will give you all possible combinations. LEDs are DC diodes that only light in one direction of applied voltage. Does that suggest some fancy wiring?

REMEMBER! LEDs are negative ohmic resistances. Don't forget your series ballast resistors!

A few months back, I e-mailed a wholesaler in China, for a sample of an LED light, used for growing plants. To help spark future business, the sales people don't mind sending a sample at the wholesale price.

LED Grow Lights,Plant Grow Lights,LED Greenhouse Lights,UFO LED Grow Lights

The light I got is 50 watts and is composed of 50 one watt lensed, high output LED's, arrayed in a circular pattern. The LED's are red, blue and white (35,10,5), with the wavelength output of the red and blue is at the maxima of the chlorophyl light energy curve, which is 660 and 460 nanometer.

I tried it with some vegetable plant seedlings; pepper and tomatoes, and it really gave them a turbo boost. It was a cloudy and cool spring in the NE-USA and this really helped keep the first string seedlings on schedule.

There was an interesting observation. The light looks reddish-purple because of the red and blue LED's. This purple light caused some of the tomato plants to end up with bright purple leaves; genetic modification? These bright purple leaves lingered for about a week, when I put the plants outside. They then changed to dark green. These tomato plants were placed the garden and are now 7 feet tall with plenty of tomatoes. None of the tomatoes have turned red yet. The plants seem to prefer to make more flowers and little tomatoes and holds them all for safe keeping. It could be the hybrid chosen but the bugs all seem to avoid these plants.

A few months back, I e-mailed a wholesaler in China, for a sample of an LED light, used for growing plants. To help spark future business, the sales people don't mind sending a sample at the wholesale price.

I just wrote to them HB and received this reply

Thanks for your inquiry, this is Lily from Chevy Light to answer you. We are leading designer, manufacturer and exporter on LED grow light.

Our main product for grow light is as following picture.

T8 LED tube Lamp 120cm - Unit price USD$35.

I attached the price list of our grow light for your reference, please check the attachment.

About the 15w LED grow light, as its performance is not so steady, we always commend the 12w to replace.

We can make our light compatible with 240V Australian System that is no problem.

Basically, we exported our 7w, 9w, 12w, 21w light to Australia with E27 joint like following picture.

While for 50w, 90w, 120w, 300w, the plug is as below.

Could this type meet your requirement?

Actually we don’t have Australian Distributor, but we have some Australian customers with closed relationship.

And according to their test report, our light has excellent performance.

Frankly speaking out price is not the lowest one, but we can assure the quality.

At present, many other supplies in China are forcing down the prices of grow light, and of course the cost is low quality. Some of our customers told us that they also buy cheap light from other suppliers sometimes, because it seems to be the same as our light in appearance, but after a few months they said that many of the lights especially the UFO product and similar square 300W product on the market have a bad name as a non effective light, and now there is this community opinion that these lights are “cheap Chinese knock offs” and they don’t work.

But for our lights, such evaluation would never arise, we are leading designer, manufacturer and exporter on LED grow light, so we have to warrant our goods as of the first quality and our cost would be higher.

And we had a lot of customers in EU and USA are testing the efficiency, it prove the light is helpful for geminating and growing, but not so good for flowering, considering it's saving energy and efficiency, we are improving our lights from time to time, we keep quality and materials are the best in China. We hope the long term business relationship!

Here I attached the comparison for our light and some other lights for your reference, hope it will be useful.

LED lighting is the trend to replace the traditional light for energy saving and environment protection, low heat. The following are our characters as below:

1, life-span: more than 50,000 hours, saving energy.

2, Low temperature, it will not burn the plant, especially in seeding stage etc, we had added temperature sensor to control temperature inside lamp.

3, Intensity of light: high intensity of light with our special lenses to focus light and special reflective sheet. Some customer will test u-mol data.

4, Wide color spectrum: we provide 2 kinds of red color for choice (630nm and 660nm), blue and white LED to make the light having wider spectrum.

5, Test Performance: Most of our lights had been tested by customers from HOLLAND, USA, and AUSTRALIA, high efficiency!

6, Power supply: we use brand power supply to guarantee our quality.

Our product had passed CE; the following link is the test report for your reference.

http://www.growlight.cn/grow_light/LVD-Report_CHEVY.pdf

http://www.growlight.cn/grow_light/EMC-Report_CHEVY.pdf

Hope our lights can meet your demand and support your business in the future.

Any problem, feel free to let us know, and if there is anything we can do to help you, we shall be more than pleased to do so.

My MSN account: [email protected]

My SKYPE account: chevylight1

Website: led grow light,Plant Grow Lights,LED Greenhouse Lights,UFO LED Grow Lights

Best Regards,

Lily.C

Chevy Light

Tel:+86-755-29102493/29102491 +86-13873310960

Fax:+86-755-29644987

Website:led grow light,Plant Grow Lights,LED Greenhouse Lights,UFO LED Grow Lights

E-mail:[email protected]

MSN:[email protected]

Add:6/F, No. A, Runfeng Industrial Garden, Dongcai Industrial Zone, Gushu, Xixiang Town, Bao'an District, Shenzhen 518102, P.R.China

2009-08-10

3 attachments —

Did you guys notice the plant type on the bottom two pictures on the showroom page? :eek2::naughty:

You mean the Tulips or the Tagetes minuta :) :)

Whatever. . .

The USA war on drugs is a counterproductive, society-corrupting-undermining, waste of money.

An indoor plant is reducing pollutants and GHGs,-- the main game now.

Table 4.2: Summary of recent(a) illicit drug use: proportion of the population aged 14 years and over, by drug type, Australia, 1991 to 2004

Substance/behaviour 1991 1993 1995 1998 2001 2004

Marijuana/cannabis 13.7 12.7 13.1 17.9 12.9 11.3 (per cent)

Statistics on drug use in Australia 2004 (AIHW)

From today, possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis and the cultivation of up to two plants will be decriminalised, attracting a fine or education session.

The Australia Custom's use of sniffer dogs is clearly undermining our Concerned Citizens' attempts at saving the planet :)

• 3 months later...

An interesting footnote.

Sell your gold and buy LED?

Cree: Shining on the LED Lighting Market 6 comments

by: Bryan Gomez November 27, 2009 | about: CREE

The lighting market that is expected to be completely transformed years from now is currently worth $119 billion. There are many players in this industry who are fully aware that the penetration rate of a potential full scale LED lighting transformation is only 1%. Leading the way is Cree Inc. (CREE) and below is an excerpt of my interview with them.

Stockinvestingcoach.com: The very first time I encountered CREE was in an article five years ago that talks about disruptive technologies, as coined by Clayton Christensen, and its potential to change the market place. Modesty aside, how disruptive are the products of CREE then and at present looking forward?

Raiford Garrabrant: It’s quite a coincidence that you first encountered Cree five years ago, because that is right around the time I joined the company, and the reason I joined was my belief in the disruptive nature of LEDs in lighting.

Five years ago, using LEDs for general purpose white lighting was really just an idea. We could see the potential, but there was virtually no adoption of LEDs for general purpose white lighting. Today, we are seeing that potential turned into reality.

One example is the city of Los Angeles, which decided to replace 140,000 city street lights with LEDs (more information on that project is available here). We think LED adoption is still no more than onepercent of the lighting market, but it is starting to gain momentum.

Looking forward, we think the LED Lighting Revolution will continue, and Philips Lighting, one of the largest lighting companies in the world, if not the largest, predicts that approximately ninety percent of lighting will be LED based by 2020.

SIC: How big of a market are you looking at in dollar terms?

RG: The lighting market was $119 billion in 2007 according to The Freedonia Group.

Cree: Shining on the LED Lighting Market -- Seeking Alpha

• 4 weeks later...