Science Forums

Irrational Pi Defrocked

Robust

Well, Robust, you have given us four different values for that radius:* 2.25675833419, 2.25675823838, 2.25 and 2.24873078056.* Why don't you save us all some anguish and tell us which one is the correct one in your opinion?

They are all correct, Rincewind, for the pi value that is given.That's the point of it all - to show that pi is arbitrary. If we were to carry through with the stated problem, which is merely hypothetically given to state the case, then we have a new ballgame in which the radian is the quarterback. I don't think we can deal with that properly until satisfying the mind that the sacred irrational pi is not sacrosanct.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Robust, you have given us four different values for that radius:* 2.25675833419, 2.25675823838, 2.25 and 2.24873078056.* Why don't you save us all some anguish and tell us which one is the correct one in your opinion?
They are all correct

And that is the crux of the problem that you keep avoiding. 4 circles, each with a different radius, cannot all have the same area. Anyone should be able to see that a disc made with the smallest of these radii would not have enough area to make any of the discs with a larger radii from the smaller disc. Are you claiming they can?

Okay, gang! Now we're back to square-one, which was my original posting on this forum - the Base 10 Anomaly which shows that it is the distance between each angular degree on the circumference - least distance possible - that is sacrosanct. I see it essential to such ambtitious undertakings as astro-physics, the critical configuration of wich is the oblate sphereoid in consideration of it's equitorial an polar dimensions, the equitorial being the greater by a figure of 1.00129 ad infinitum - atmospheric radiation giving a slight margin of variance.

The crux of it all, people, is given in my first posting on this forum (Base 10 Anomaly) which gives the least distance possible that can exist between 2 angular degrees on the circunference of a circular plane. It is essential to understanding the significance of that relationship and role of the radius/raidan before we can hopefully carry on with the thing. You can see that I'm a bit clumsy at it, but will help as I can.

They are all correct, Rincewind, for the pi value that is given.

So, what you're saying then Robust, is that a circle of area 16 can have four (or any number) of different values for its radius? In other words, the radius of a circle can have any variable value, and that has no bearing on the value of its area.

Is this what you think, Robust?

I've never been fond of strawberry pi but I've worked out that, for the same area, it ought to have the biggest radius. Nearly twice that of prune pi!

I'd ask if that might make it deeper or shallower but that would introduce the concept of volume to the discussion. Since the current topic still seems to be so misunderstood by some, I think we should be cautious to introduce new material.

Noooo! It changes the ratios between area, radius, circumference...

Work it out, keeping in mind carbohydrate content, acidity, pigmentation etc...

So you are saying that somehow the circumference is related to the square root of the carbohydrates?

It isn't so simple as the sqare root, according to the other parameters it can even be the sine of the carbohydrates raised to 13/17 or even an irrational exponent. To work it out properly you need to calculate Euler's gamma function of the acidity and it helps to suppose that the Gauss conjecture is true.

A whole new geometry, in flat Euclid space!

Much can be made much simpler we could use the First Postulate of Alternative Algebra and the First Theorem of Alternative Algebra.

For people that are not familiar with them, I give a brief recap:

First Postulate of Alternative Algebra: You may divide by zero

First Theorem of Alternative Algebra: Any two numbers are the same.

Okay, gang! Now we're back to square-one, which was my original posting on this forum

Ohhh, I see. Of course the radius of a square is variable, if it were constant, then it would be a circle. I guess the change of seasons caught me off guard. I thought we were talking about circles sinc we usually discuss the geometry of squares when the Earth's magnetic field is perpendicular to Orion's Belt.

Ohhh, I see. Of course the radius of a square is variable, if it were constant, then it would be a circle. I guess the change of seasons caught me off guard. I thought we were talking about circles sinc we usually discuss the geometry of squares when the Earth's magnetic field is perpendicular to Orion's Belt.

Not cute, Clay. Why are you being antagonistic? This is a quite sincere and legitimate topic looking for assistance.

Not cute, Clay. Why are you being antagonistic? This is a quite sincere and legitimate topic looking for assistance.

Ha ha ha. Why don't you get sincere and answer some of the point blank questions you keep avoiding then? You could start by explaining how 4 different circles, all with different diameters, can all have the same area or you can admit that they can't. Take your pick.

FWIW, this is a science forum. Claims require proof and the burden of proof is on the one making the claim so present a rigorous proof or drop it.

Ha ha ha. Why don't you get sincere and answer some of the point blank questions you keep avoiding then? You could start by explaining how 4 different circles, all with different diameters, can all have the same area or you can admit that they can't. Take your pick.

FWIW, this is a science forum. Claims require proof and the burden of proof is on the one making the claim so present a rigorous proof or drop it.

Clay, get real , man! There is only one circle with the given area - and there is only one radius describing that area. This thread is about the variability of pi - simply to show that the irrationa pi is not sacrosanct - nor is any other pi value.