Science Forums

Rash info for my sister

hairychick

hello hairychick,

welcome!!:)

Sounds like she has not seen a dermatologist.Two years is an awfully long time. A rash, although that is a vague term should not be taken lightly. The affected skin is a symptom of an underlying problem or condition. Dermatitis from a local irritant, can trigger a serious infection from excessive scratching. Bacteria can enter through the broken skin and serious consequences will follow. Have her schedule an appointment tomorrow, do not let this drag out any longer

hello hairychick,

welcome!!:shrug:

Sounds like she has not seen a dermatologist.Two years is an awfully long time. A rash, although that is a vague term should not be taken lightly. The affected skin is a symptom of an underlying problem or condition. Dermatitis from a local irritant, can trigger a serious infection from excessive scratching. Bacteria can enter through the broken skin and serious consequences will follow. Have her schedule an appointment tomorrow, do not let this drag out any longer

My sister has seen many dermatologist in that time period..The only thing that is keeping her sanity is high doses of prednisone.She feels like the rash is under her skin and is prickling like needles all over her body. She now has seen an allergist who did the tests to see what she is allergic too..It came back nothing...Every time the doctors put her down to 7.5 prdnisone she starts all over again...At the 15 she can function...Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for help with this kind of condition..Thank You

hey chick,

has there been an actual diagnosis? Prolonged use of corticosteroids is not good. Your body naturally produces cortisol and without gradually tapering off the dose ,can have consequences as well. How is the predisone administered? Can you also briefly describe the rash and any other symptoms that may be occuring?

...Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for help with this kind of condition..Thank You

Here's something new: Atopic dermatitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In April 2009, the journal Pediatrics published an article on a study showing that bathing in a dilute household bleach solution - 1/2 cup or 120 ml of ordinary household chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite), to a bathtub full of water) can be beneficial[14]. It is believed that the antibacterial effect of the bleach combats the effect of the skin's colonization by staphylococcus aureus. S. aureus can cause infections in an existing rash when the skin is broken by scratching; in addition, the bacteria can worsen the itching, leading to more scratching and inflammation. ...

Surprising to see this at Wiki as it is fairly new, though I saw a short piece on TV news last week mentioning the bleach treatment. I was actually looking for a good reference in regard to using epsom salt baths to treat dermatitis. :) Couldn't find a good source, but worth asking the doctor about. :shrug:

Don't pay any attention to us. Get your sister to a doctor. There are too many kinds of rashes that can be too easily misdiagnosed by people like us.

We are not doctors. If we were, we would tell you a remote diagnosis of a "nasty rash" is impossible, and that treatment without diagnosis is useless and probably dangerous.

You have to trust me on this. I've allowed a "nasty rash" to go undiagnosed longer than I should have. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

--lemit

p.s. You might ask the doctor about your hypertrichosis.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

hey chick,

has there been an actual diagnosis? Prolonged use of corticosteroids is not good. Your body naturally produces cortisol and without gradually tapering off the dose ,can have consequences as well. How is the predisone administered? Can you also briefly describe the rash and any other symptoms that may be occuring?

A few dermatologists said that shehad chronic hives...She stopped all medications that she was taking..One doctor said he thoiught it was an allergic reaction to a blood pressure pill she had been taking...She has been taking an itching pill and antihistamines to help her cope with the itching. Nothing seems to relieve it except high doses in pill form 15ml predisone..They want to get her off the predisone but every time they try to back it down she breaks out again all over her body..Her scalp,arms legs,back,stomach, groin and face..they are tiny red spots and she says she feels like someone is poking needles in her.At first we thought she may have shingles but the rash was all over not on one side of her body..But it almost seems like its her nerve endings that is effected with the way she feels...The rash was doing better, about 5 months ago, but there again she was on heavy doses of predisone as soon as they ween her down it flairs again..Thank you for taking th time to get back with me..I had mentioned to her about going to some clinic where they can test her or use her for research so she can on with her life...

hey chick

I am wondering what type of blood pressure meds she is taking. Rashes can also occur with hypertension as well as an allergic reaction to the medication. I would suggest that she get comprehensive diagnostic tests for blood, kidney and liver .This rash may be a symptom of a larger problem that may not be readily diagnosed by a dermatologist or allergist.In the mean time, soaking in tepid bath water with baking soda, may give her some relief.Tell her to try to keep her stress levels down and wear cool cotton clothing. Mild shampoos and soap for bathing.I am also wondering why 2 years. Was there some sort of trauma that may have precipitated this? Or any significant changes in her life or health at that time? Have her remember this time, even something that she may feel was insignificant, may be important. Arm yourself with as much knowledge and present it to the doctor. Also have her chart any changes that bring about flare ups, whether that be food, stress, or anything else she may notice. I hope this helps and your sister is able to get a definitive answer and get well:)

hey chick

I am wondering what type of blood pressure meds she is taking. Rashes can also occur with hypertension as well as an allergic reaction to the medication. I would suggest that she get comprehensive diagnostic tests for blood, kidney and liver .This rash may be a symptom of a larger problem that may not be readily diagnosed by a dermatologist or allergist.In the mean time, soaking in tepid bath water with baking soda, may give her some relief.Tell her to try to keep her stress levels down and wear cool cotton clothing. Mild shampoos and soap for bathing.I am also wondering why 2 years. Was there some sort of trauma that may have precipitated this? Or any significant changes in her life or health at that time? Have her remember this time, even something that she may feel was insignificant, may be important. Arm yourself with as much knowledge and present it to the doctor. Also have her chart any changes that bring about flare ups, whether that be food, stress, or anything else she may notice. I hope this helps and your sister is able to get a definitive answer and get well:)

Thank you for your response. She has had tests for lyme disease, lupus, and many others. She has had lots of blood run ups in the past. At first we thought it could have been from the flu shot..Cause it occured about a month after that...She also was working in a store that most of the items came from overseas..Thought she may have picked up some kind of bacteria..She is wearing cotton and bathes only every other day.Washes her clothes in hyperallergenic ingredients and uses mild soap if any at all...she had gone on a visit to a friends house one instance, and when she got back she was all broken out again after a period of comfort...We thought then that it could have been a dog that her friend had. But all the allergy tests ahe had came up negative,,,She is very stressed but I think its cause she itches so bad sometimes and can't get any comfort...They have her on some mild sedative now but that doesn't seem to help either....Thanks Again

well i can certainly understand the stress and it would be hard to control. I am wondering though about the visit. Did she review what she had eaten and drank as a possible trigger? And what about the house itself? Could she be affected by formaldehyde in a new home or possibly mold in an older home? Consider her home, are there possible problems that have not been observed but may lay hidden.Sick building syndrome can also apply to chemical irritants in paints, flooring, etc. Molds, bacteria, pollen, etc can be lurking in the duct work and bugs in the walls.Chemicals in furniture should not be ruled out. Sofas and bedding can harbor much. You may have already checked and considered these things, but in the event you may have not,i have posted for your consideration

well i can certainly understand the stress and it would be hard to control. I am wondering though about the visit. Did she review what she had eaten and drank as a possible trigger? And what about the house itself? Could she be affected by formaldehyde in a new home or possibly mold in an older home? Consider her home, are there possible problems that have not been observed but may lay hidden.Sick building syndrome can also apply to chemical irritants in paints, flooring, etc. Molds, bacteria, pollen, etc can be lurking in the duct work and bugs in the walls.Chemicals in furniture should not be ruled out. Sofas and bedding can harbor much. You may have already checked and considered these things, but in the event you may have not,i have posted for your consideration

Thank you for your comments..We don't think its any of those things because she has lived in her home for about 20 years and she also has a home here in florida..She resides in NY for 6 months and flrida for 6 months..It doesn"t get any better when she goes back and forth..But if it was an allergic reaction to dust mites or any of those things that would have came up on the allergy testing..They found she is not allergic to anything...Which we can'tunderstand..She was in the hospital the other day because she felt like someone was poking her with needles in her back and she couldn't stand the pain..They gave her an infusion of steroids and some pain meds. and told her it was an allergic reaction to the allegro that the doctor (allergist just put her on) Does that make sense... I think she is going to call an immunologist on Monday...Someone must have an answer....Thanks

hey chick, it would NOT have been identified on an allergy test. These are not allergic responses, but reactions . Are both of these homes occupied during her absence or are they closed?

note- an immunologist is an excellent idea:)

One home is occupied the other isn"t....

improper ventilation for six months cannot be a good thing. I will venture a guess here-the Ny home is at least 60 years old and the Florida home possibly within 10-15 years. If the Florida home is unoccupied in the warm humid zone, there stands a good chance of mold.In the drier winter months, certain molds are more dangerous, than in the humid months. The Ny home may have better ventilation, however, improvements made over the years can disturb irritants and send them airborne as well as new carpet, cabinets contain chemical irritants. Let me know if i am off base here. It is important to all of us to take a comprehensive look into our living conditions.There are several informative sites concerning sick building syndrome, but i will post a link from the EPA for your review.

Sick Building Syndrome | Publications | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA