Science Forums

What would happen if we legalized drugs?

Ganoderma

i totally agree with that. Some countries are getting more and more harsh on owning plants now as well. Probably the most recent are state laws in the USA outlawing a Salvia species wish is hallucinogenic.

Its kind of neat to think though, that i can order castor beans online no problem, and even label them on the package, and get them just fine. pretty cheap i might add. though a long list of non-lethal plants are not allowed and i can go to prison for growing them, or even ordering them.

Even poppy seeds from P. somnifera are controlled in canada, despite being able to buy them at the grocery store for food (i have grown them out, every time thus far they have been the opium poppy).

Racoon. There seems to be a lot of people that understand these hipocracies, but why are they (lawmakers/enforcers) still being allowed to prosecute something such as this? Not only are they doing this against the populations will, in some cases, they are quite literally going against the basic freedoms certain countries hold (ie. constitution).

PS. A hypography drum circle seems like it would be a blast :hyper:

Racoon. There seems to be a lot of people that understand these hipocracies, but why are they (lawmakers/enforcers) still being allowed to prosecute something such as this? Not only are they doing this against the populations will, in some cases, they are quite literally going against the basic freedoms certain countries hold (ie. constitution).

PS. A hypography drum circle seems like it would be a blast :hihi:

:thumbs_do I'm no Racoon, but I impersonate one when convenient. :thumbs_up ;) In short, "they" are allowed because "we" allow them, and we allow them by not disallowing them. But, take heart, things can & do change if even only at a slow pace. :turtle:To whit:

California Bill Would Legalize Marijuana

Speaking at a landmark press conference today, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) introduced comprehensive legislation to tax and regulate the commercial production and sale of cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol.

"With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common sense. This legislation would generate much needed revenue for the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environmental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious crimes", Assemblyman Ammiano said. "California has the opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart, responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana."

The proposal is the first marijuana legalization bill ever introduced in California.

• 3 months later...

24 August 2009

Portugal's drug laws

listen now | download audio

Ten years ago Portugal had one of the worst drug problems in Europe.

Heroin use was out of control and the rate of HIV infections in drug users became a humanitarian crisis.

So what did Portugal do? They decriminalised all personal drug use in that country, crack, heroin, LSD, you name it. Drugs are still illegal, but it's no longer a crime to use them.

Instead of jail, users and addicts are offered treatment and education. In this Health Report special feature Nicky Phillips looks at how Portugal transformed their drug laws and whether this worked.

. . .

Nicky Phillips: It's been eight years since Portugal decriminalised drug use, so why the sudden interest? Well a recent review of Portugal's drug laws by the CATO Institute, that's a think-tank, has sparked significant attention because the report found decriminalisation a success, and it suggests other countries with drug problems give it a go.

Portugal's drug laws - Health Report - 24 August 2009

IMHO,The USA is unlikely to go down this road due to its' rabid Christainty and there is too much money being made by too many people with the present system (Including private jails).