Science Forums

New music is meaningless

Boof-head

Well , initially I stated that modern music appears to have a movement towards meaningless intent (however meaningful that statement might be). I think it probably goes through phases, and finds a 'comfort level' that reflects say, modern ideas.

Where do you get with an idea which is so done to death (GM and the furious ones disbanded decades ago) that you explore "meaninglessness" with it, and release all those tunes that you could either play in sequence or all at once and not notice anything?

Perhaps Slim is onto something - the real Mr Shady does not exist and "he can't stand up". We may/may not have a problem here...

Greetings. Speaking as one of the 'youngsters' of this generation I feel compelled to say something. I have some pretty different musical preferences for kids my age. I prefer 'punk' music for its rebellious spirit and different views. Two of my favorite bands are NOFX and Anti-flag. Anti-flag is a political punk band, all of their songs reflect happenings during the time of the album release. Their newest album is disliked by many fans because it has a completely different style from their older albums. NOFX is pronounced "no effects" and they have some pretty....interesting songs in their albums. Their only album I listen to is "The Greatest Songs Ever Written" and the songs "USA holes" and "Wolves In Wolves Clothing" which are in a different album. In The Greatest Songs Every Written one of their songs talks about what happened to the music industry.

I really hate other kinds of music like rap and hip hop. To me those seem to encourage certain behaviors like violence and consumerism. And they seem to discourage critical thinking and stuff along that path. Atleast that is the impression I get from the kids I know who listen to stuff like rap and hip hop.

EDIT: I forgot to post some links to NOFX and Anti-flag songs on youtube here they are:

One of NOFX's lighter songs

Franco-UnAmerican http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5OyWtBB3M

Anti-flag's 911 for peace

911 For Peace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_QUZBUyLE

NOFX's separation of church and skate (not a typo) Its about why the punk gene when downhill

The Separation of Church and Skate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLqvfckh-U

Anti-flag's Bring Out Your Dead this was sung for the album Mobilize and was released in the early 2000's I think.

Bring Out Your Dead! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsloAYpUnV0

Anti-flags tearing down the borders which relates to the Anarchist idea that there should be no borders or nations, and by doing this everyone wont be able to find reasons to fight and hate others.

Tearing Down The Borders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJSWL_WCqs

Hoped you like these songs, the last one is a bit scratchy so you might want to look for another Tearing Down The Borders video. For Anti-flag these are all songs from their erlier days. Their newest album is called The Bright Lights Of America, and the one before that (which is awsome by the way, if you like it buy it there are essays relating to every song in that album) called For Blood And Empire.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

There is still really great music all over the place...and if anything there is even more variety out there then ever before, and people are blending styles both new and old all of the time.

Or, if you really are fed up with music and the "music industry", why not make your own music? There is so much personal power to be found in writing your own songs.

There is still really great music all over the place...and if anything there is even more variety out there then ever before, and people are blending styles both new and old all of the time.
I agree.

One need only look at the release schedules of the first dozen or so CD publishers to realize that music is being recorded and distributed at a far greater rate than would allow any single person to listen to more than a small fraction of it – and this excludes music published purely over the internet. Hence, when I hear statements/complaints of the form “all new music is X”, I’m inclined to ask “oh, so you’ve heard all the new music, have you?”

What’s really being expressed by such statements, I think, is more of a reflection of how the speaker is accustom to accessing new music, than of new music or the various people and technologies by which it reaches people. If you make little effort to seek out the music one most likes, but rather passively consumes that which financially-focused people most promote, you’re likely not to much like it.

Rather than the present day state of music being unusual, I think it’s a return to how things were for most of history and before, before sound recording and telephonics, when one couldn’t hear all the new music because of the geographic impracticality of going to where it was being made. There was, it seems to me, a brief window, roughly 1920-1960, when sound recording was both accessible to many musicians and listeners, but not so accessible that more was being recorded than a dedicated listener could keep up with. Barring some sort of regress or diaspora of civilization, I don’t think humankind will experience this again.

These are wonderful times, I think, to love music. :smilingsun: