Science Forums

ElViejoEli

ElViejoEli

Good Morning Folks:

My name is Eli and I live in New York. I'm a retired school teacher (bio and chem) who also dabbles in coaching a high school track/field team.

My interest in posting in the Science Forums deals with questions/ideas that I get frequently asked by my athletes.

My questions today deals with air flow around the eye of a needle. I don't know if anyone out there has ever done any research on the flow of air around and through the eye of a needle, but that is my current question/idea I'm grappling with.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide on this topic.

Eli:shade:

So Eli,

can you give us more details?

For example, I can describe an experimental set-up: We have an air-flow in a 1-foot wide pipe, that we can vary from 0.1 ft/sec to, say 10 ft/sec. We have a 2-foot section of the pipe that is clear plastic. Mounted on a thin rod is a sewing needle stuck (axially) in its end. The rod is mounted so the eye of the needle is on the axis of the pipe (at the center), and the axis if the pipe goes through the eye. By using inserted smoke, and lasers, and a short-range telescope, we can observe the flow of air through and around the eye of the needle.

Is this what you're looking for? Is there any particular aspect of airflow or turbulence you're looking for?