Science Forums

Temporary Internet Files

Anyone seen anything like this? I had a call in from a user complaining that they couldnt log in because they didn't have enough space on their drive, so i looked at it, and 40 gigs were all used up. After going through all the major directories, i could only account for maybe 10-15 gigs, so then i looked at the preferences of the Windows dir, and the thing in a minute counted over 7 gigs. So i stopped that, and tried narrowing it down, and it seemed that "Temporary internet files" was taking up ginormous amounts of space. After leaving it overnight to delete files, it cleaned up, ready for it, 29.8Gb of space (yes i am sure it was all in that folder).... Anyone ever see anything like that?

The highest I've seen is 15GB.

It's amazing what some people let their systems endure. Almost 30 GB of temp files! :hihi:

The *first* thing I do when I work on someone's computer is run ccleaner (crap cleaner). It usually frees up on average about 3-4GB. Also, the great utility JDiskReport is very handy for determining where the bulk of the HD is being consumed. There's several different freeware progs out there similar to jdisk. Take your pick. :)

Freezy, it's a good tip for someone just reading this thread, i hope the comment on how to clean windows systems wasn't directed at me though ;) ...

I use ccleaner all the time, and been using it for quite a bit actually, infact i have it running on the terminal server (here at work) to clean everyone's remote profile and user hive by default, every login... makes me have to reboot the server less often, that paired with user hive cleaner service, and a lot of tweaking :)