Science Forums

Nuclear Half life

Radiate: follow a radial path, implicitly an outward one, hence go away from the centre.

The term originates from this and stuck around for many things. Shout, and you are causing acoustic energy to radiate from your vocal apparatus.

There are so many kinds of radiation...

i got a question, what is radiation?!? i know what it is and what it does but what is it? i am talking the structure of it? what weakness does it have? help the curious

To be basic, as far as nuclear radiation is concerned, there are three kinds of ways nuclei can decay, and in the process, radiating. These decay processes are called alpha decay, beta decay, and fission. In alpha decay, an alpha particle, a helium atom with two neutrons, is radiated. In beta decay, a beta particle, an electron, along with a theoretical antineutrino, which is unimportant right now, is radiated. In fission, an atom actually splits, most commonly into near equal halves, and four neutrons are radiated in the process. And, during each of these forms of radioactive decay processes, energy in the form of gamma rays, or high energy electromagnetic radiation akin to visible light, can be radiated as well.

There are more "advanced" radiation processes, but I would say the aforementioned are the most basic.