Science Forums

Why do elephants take such big craps?

Theory5

Yikes! what a question, theory!:ohdear:

Elephants naturally consume a good quantity of food due to their size. Ingesting a lot of fiber in their diet allows for a productive elimination. Thus producing a large pile directly proportionate to consumption. Although, if the elephant has an ailment or there is an internal problem, that outcome may be reduced.

Green poop can be an indication of what you have ingested.Food coloring can change the color of feces. I am not sure of your current health status, but here are a few examples of what may also cause this color.

Salmonella - can cause greenish stool (usually diarrhea)

Giardia - can cause greenish stool (usually diarrhea)

Swallowed postnasal drip - ie. from an upper respiratory disorder

Intestinal disorder

Starvation stools - usually in children; green watery stool caused by being on a liquid diet for a few days (e.g. if ill)

Gastroenteritis

To get a better understanding your particular situation please see the link provided

Causes of Green stool - WrongDiagnosis.com

Elephants leave big craps (I never saw anyone take a crap, they always seem to leave a crap :blahblahblah: ) because they are full of crap, large herbivores need to eat huge amounts of food, they allow this food to ferment in their huge stomachs. The larger the stomach the more efficient this process becomes. So they take huge dumps from huge stomach and huge very long intestines, since they eat lots of green stuff their crap is often green. At for your poop, possibly you are full of green crap too :hihi:

When I was in Africa I had the opportunity to explore the contents of elephant crap. ONe of the amazing items the elephants were consuming were large nuts from palm trees. The nuts apparently need to pass through an elephant to germinate. The gut of the elephant removes the husk of the nut, but leaves behind the intact seed.

The size of the seeds? About the size of a cannonball!

• 3 years later...

Since this is already a slightly tasteless thread I am unable to resist the temptation to ask, and answer, the question....

Q: "Why does your feces come out long ways?"

A: "If it didn't your *** would close with a bang."

Apologies .... mea culpa.

You do have a sense of humor after all.:rolleyes:

Did anyone notice the legs sticking out at the bottom of that crap pile?;)