Science Forums

Scroll speed on x11 on mac

Hi all,

a search through the net did not give me any info. When I work from home and go per ssh on my linux-machine at work from my mac at home and open eg. an emacs windows of a code I want to modify, then the scrolling (both with 2 fingers option and the mouse) is too quick. The scroll speed in the system preferences does not have any influence it seems to me.

Any ideas, the only thing I found on the net was that I am not the only one with this problem.

Big thanks in advance for any suggestion

well I do not just type ssh [email protected], but I type with the option -X, ie ssh -X [email protected].

From a linux OS this just starts X as usual, for Mac it makes X11 (mac version) available. The X11 from Mac is quite a bit worse than the linux one, what I hate most is that if you open different windows from the machine you ssh'd to ALT-TAB does not permit to browse through them since they all go under the name X11...

13- Scroll wheel weird behaviour.

The mouse scroll wheel acts strangely in X11. If you scroll slowly, nothing happens. It acts like there is a speed threshold and only then will it respond, by scrolling a bunch of lines at once and often all the way to the top of the scroll buffer and there is no way to control how much it scrolls.

This is a known issue by Apple. Unfortunately they cannot comment on when the fix will be available.

So I just have to wait I guess (no use contacticting the devs), it was #13 on the first link you gave. Thanks anyway Alexander, so I know there is no quick fix I could make