Science Forums

Music app for Linux

Tormod

A while back we were talking about the lac of good music applications for Linux.

Well, Rosegarden version 1.0 has just been released.

Rosegarden is a professional audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment.Rosegarden is an easy-to-learn, attractive application that runs on Linux, ideal for composers, musicians, music students, and small studio or home recording environments.

Still useless for me since it does not support VST (Virtual Studio Technology) which is currently PC/Mac only, but who knows how long it will be before some standard for plugin development will turn up. There is apparently already one in the works which lets you play soundfounts etc.

Anyways, for those interested it's available here:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

ardour, audacity, xmms, rythmbox, lame, muse, gstreamer, amarok ... should i go on with goot linux apps for any kind of music stuff?

P.S. Tormod, dont deny yourself the beauty of having Portage (gentoo pms) on Mac, its been ported and works great, people say it is 10000000 times better than fink :o

cant find any info on it now, will do that eventually, here is a quicksearch with reflections:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-41203.html

g2run, see ya

Alexander,

I'm familiar with almost all of the programs you've referenced, and they are great for playing and ripping music, but I don't know that they meet Tormod's requirement of music composition...

His link to Rosegarden has some screenshots that might help define the functionality he's looking for.

nemo

I just noticed this from a press release in another forum (it was not clear from the Rosegarden pages):

DSSI synth and audio effects plugin support, including Windows VST effects and instrument support via dssi-vst.

Hm...maybe time to check it out. VST support basically means that I can use all my software synthesizers and effects, most of which are commercial (and rather expensive, which is why I can't afford to switch to an OS where they can't be used...).

quote]Alexander,

I'm familiar with almost all of the programs you've referenced, and they are great for playing and ripping music, but I don't know that they meet Tormod's requirement of music composition...

xmms, rythmox and gstreamer you might be referring to, but not audacity or aurdor.

Ok, Ardour allows you to do crazy stuff with up to crazy professional sound cards. It is made for professional audio edditing, mixing and everything.

Hydrogen drum machine, Wired, actually wired is incredible, rosegarden has been getting a lot of talk also.

ok, music soft worth taking a look at for linux; synthesisers, mixers, editors, creators, virtual keyboards and anything in between :)

aceqview, audio-entropyd (its really cool as it generates audio from entropy devices), brutefir, cm, cmix, creox, ctrlxmms, DBMix, dirtoogg, easytag, ecasound, erec, ermixer, fluidsynth, freebirth, galan, glmix, gamix, gmorgan, gramofile, hearnet (allows you to listen to your network), lilycomp, lilypond, mixxx, multimux, museseq (might as well check out muse, musepack-tools and musescore), normalize, noteedit, opmixer, pd, positron, protux, qsynth, rawrec, rcenter, rexima, rezsound, shorten, snd, sox, spiralmodular, ssrc, sulu, supercollider, sweep, synaesthesia, tapiir, terminatorx, trommler, vkeyboard, vlevel, wavsplit, zynaddsubfx.

Linux is cool with Audio :cup: