Science Forums

The thing we all do, called Judging

inside the sun

Some of that varies by state in the US. In NJ, I am not allowed to ask, nor is the application allowed to ask, age, race, marital status, whether they have children, nor am I allowed to consider location.

I have heard it argued that one's name should not be required on the application either because many names reveal gendr and/or suggest ethnic origin. I personally believe this is carrying political correctness just a bit too far....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard it argued that one's name should not be required on the application either because many names reveal gendr and/or suggest ethnic origin. I personally believe this is carrying political correctness just a bit too far....

And interviews could be via email, with neutral names? Jeez, just leave it up to my moral compass, and audit the results.

One problem I have is a lack of women in my field, so I'm regularly questioned by HR. Last spring I hired 14 people, all men, every one over forty. No women appplied.

One problem I have is a lack of women in my field, so I'm regularly questioned by HR. Last spring I hired 14 people, all men, every one over forty. No women appplied.

Yeah, you really can't win for losing sometimes. I suppose HR will expect you to hire a woman that does apply even if she's not qualified since you're really open to a lawsuit if you don't.

One of the problems I run into in checking people's references is that their past employers won't tell me anything about them except that they worked there. It's really getting harder and harder to qualify hires befor putting them to work.

One of the problems I run into in checking people's references is that their past employers won't tell me anything about them except that they worked there. It's really getting harder and harder to qualify hires befor putting them to work.

The rules here are that all employment verification requests have to go to HR in writing, who will then only verify dates.

"Fortunately", I work at a large shop in a shrinking field. Almost everyone who applies for a job worked with someone already here somewhere else. Informal references work fine. Some people I have already interviewed when I worked at other companies.