Science Forums

Vice Presidential Debate

Turtle

but her expertise in Energy would be most useful IMO...

she called nuclear and clean coal, alternative fuel technology, IMHO i think she knows energy when and only when it concerns oil and gas-based products, she not even once mentioned solar, wind, hydro, geothermal or any real alternative or organic fuel technologies. I really don't think she's as "in tune" with the whole energy thing, as you seem to think she is... call it a hunch :)

Todays America could be found in Obama or Palin

I totally agree, today's America is found in both, but while true, i don't think that they have enough experience to make decisions in a world that has lived so far from the real world, it is almost pointless to put someone in tune with the real world, and showing no will to change in charge... I guess statement really against both Obama and Plain. And once again i don't see McCain as being any better off, he has no clue about the real world, like Palin has no clue about politics, McCain has no clue about the real world, i think that is why he chose her, she completes his image, but she, at the current rate will have a tough time in a high office, where i think Obama has some feel for politics, and a good feel for the real world, with Biden guiding Obama in the political world, i think they are a better fit, at least as far as real world vs politics is concerned...

Virtually any agreement made by the President is subject to Congressional approval

long-term, certainly, short term, he does have the power to put anything in place short term, without having to ask anyone for approval...

One little other thing; The person elected needs the availability of people who can and will serve in his/her administration. Forgetting guilt by association, McCain currently has the respect of most those persons or by comparisons much more qualified than anything Obama could attract. McCain, also is nearing the end of a political career, not likely concerned with the next election, any legacy or promotion of personal agenda's for purpose. Obama is showing all the signs of an eight year term and influencing national policy well beyond that.

Agree, and sadly shake my head in approval of both points...

alexander; Of course I haven't sat down and talked with Palin, but reading between the few lines written, I feel she has a realistic view of transforming energy from what is to renewable. Frankly IMO, were 30 years from dependency, free if then and putting off building of new Nuclear Generators, use of coal, even compressed natural gas infrastructure is vital. Obama thinking ten years is not going to happen and any delay in keeping the current structure up to date and modern is self defeating. Our electrical grid system is ready to collapse and building around this system to allow alternatives into the system (opposed to local) make little sense for years to come. On transportation fuel, think Nano Tech will supply some interesting remedies in the future, but NEVER get to even todays cost for crude for econonomical...Oh yes, Geo Thermal is one power source, I never hear much about but getting some very good results in California, Nevada and probably could supply all of Alaska in a few years. Remember I am talking US and world requirement (China/Russia/India/Africa) may be a hundred years from even trying alternatives.

Congress does hold the purse strings and can cut anything they want from the budget. If it is Obama and a Democratic Congress, you may not like the compromise I see being used. On short time programs (Executive Orders) or added duties to a department, they are subject to Executive Duties and/or testing in the Supreme Court, IF USED. I could see a State Driven Constitutional Convention being formed on many interest, with in a year to 18 months...if not used.

Remember I am talking US and world requirement (China/Russia/India/Africa) may be a hundred years from even trying alternatives.

What do you think, they are stupid? Typical American view point that US is smart and the rest of the world is stupid....

Start off the top of your list:

China builds most of the solar panels, and with their new outlook on global warming, they are finally moving towards cleaning up the air, taking lessons learned in Beijing, and applying them to other industrial cities. Now, i am not saying that China will move on alternative fuel any time soon, they do have a very extensive fossil fuels infrastructure that may be reluctant to new energy invaders...

since i only have time for one more, lets do a coin flip, ah, here we go

Russia, with smart european minds, vast expansion area and fossil reserves, they are an interesting mix. They well realize that there is a global greenhouse problem, and that it is caused by the fossil fuels. They have an extensive grid of nuclear power plants, they have one of the largest hydroelectric plants (in the top 5), and they do a lot of research in alternative fuels, and technologies. Energy Ministry report implies that Russia has the resources not just for abundant hydrocarbons, but renewable sources as well. "We have a stock of five times the amount of renewable and alternative energy that we are currently using". They recently talked to Venezuela, to partner up in some researches to come up with solutions for alternative and clean fuels, both production of them, and further research. The report mentions that the use of non-traditional energy sources might reach as much as 30 percent by 2030.

"there is an abundance of small businesses that offer, for instance, solar panels that people can buy for their homes. On a small, non-centralized scale, there is some visible effort. The Moscow city government, for instance, is funding an experiment in using solar panels to heat homes. Another experimental project is the "green office," where employers are encouraged to adopt conservation strategies in the workplace. Last year, meanwhile, Mikhail Prokhorov, the chief of the Onexim investment fund, announced plans for the Megion Hydrogen Partnership - an effort to build a car park that would run on hydrogen in the Far East Khanty-Mansiysk town of Megion. " (Moscow News - National - Alternative Fuel: Russia?s (Modest) Strides)

citing further down

"Earlier this month, for instance, researchers at the Vinogradsky Institute of Microbiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences made a startling discovery: a rare, archeal microorganism that produces hydrogen by breaking down cellulose. The result? The U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute will continue researching the organism."

last quote, then i have to go

"Yevgeny Korolyev, a researcher at Tekhnogaz GIAP, a company that develops DME (dimethyl ether) as part of the Karpov Institute of Chemistry Research in Moscow, described a problem common for scientists. "The higher the price for oil, the more interest there is in alternative fuel," he told The Moscow News. "The more interest there is, the more chances that our technologies will be applied." The problem is that while there might be great potential demand, the real demand is not dependable.

DME, a clean fuel derived by chemical conversion of natural gas or coal, is an isomer of ethanol (meaning it has the same atoms but a different molecular structure), and has the same fuel properties as propane-butane. Its advantages are attracting major energy companies in Europe: it does not emit any sulfur, nor does it generate carbon or any particulate matters. "Gas is the most economic source, but DME can also be derived from oil, coal, and biomass," says Korolyev. "

Point is, you can't approach this as a typical American, just because you dont hear about it on CNN, does not mean it does not happen. Watch a real news channel, watch BBC America, at least their world news section is really about news around the world...