Science Forums

Holographic projection

sanctus

Er...some more details would help. What is the first space?

I remember reading an article in New Scientist about five or size yars ago about a guy who had a theory that the universe was a huge crystal in the 5th dimension, and the expansion of the universe was the crystallisation of space-time. So *everything* we see is the surface of this crystal. I found it kind of poetic, although it is utter rubbish. :cup:

I was just written like (my translation from German): The capacity store bits in a blach-hole computer is proportional to the square of the calculation-speed. The factor of proportionnality is G3h/(c^5). The most important thing is that this result takes you directly to the holographic Principe, which states that our 3d universum is sort of 2d. (...) Usually it is believed that this principe comes from unknown details of the quantumgravitation.

It was written by Seth Lloyd and Jack Ng and the article is about if black holes and/or the universum can be seen as a computer.

Ah, so they're saying the third dimension is more or less an illusion, and that our universe is a 2D hologram? I'd ahve to read it all to be able to comment.

According to this list of publications, the article was in Scientific American in 2004, although I don't know which month.

http://www.physics.unc.edu/faculty/faculty_pubs.php#ng

The issue is available digitally form here but there is also a short resume of it at that link. Looks like an interesting issue, anyway.

The general idea that this universe is a projection stems out of modern brane theory derived from M-Theory. Its not so much that our universe is actually 2D, its more that all the information needed about this universe could be encoded on a 2D surface. Our 3+1 dimensional universe would be the projection of that information from off of that 2D surface is a bit closer to the idea, though that's a limited perspective in itself.

One way of looking at this is our universe from what we can observe started out as a singularity. For some reason, we'll leave that reason unstated for now, that singular point expanded. When the universe was a singular point all the information about this universe was encoded on its event horizon surface simular to how our best theory predicts information should be ecoded on the surface of a blackhole. As the Universe expanded that stored information was released. That release is the holographic expression(in 3+1 D format) of the information that was encoded on the event horizon.

What's often overlooked in all this, yet, the center of debate with Hawking and others, is what could be termed hidden information or entropy. Basically, our universe may or may not have started with more information than we actually can recover observation wise. What we live in and see may be only part of the information that there is. Such an idea has prfound implications about our ability to actually fully explain this universe in the end run. If there is hidden information then we can only explain things as far as what we can observe. It rather goes back to Godel's old debate about the sum of our knowledge being less than the whole. However, the hidden information or entropy may also explain way while nature yields us strong evidence for evolution we still have problems explaining how life first got started. Hidden information could be exactly the missing explaination. So, in itself the idea that we only get part of the picture is not all bad.

In short there is a whole lot about this holographic idea that does rather fit the picture. Yes, it begs the question is the universe like a computer. But, it also brings up the question is the universe itself an intelligence of sort that rather fits the philosophy section. Anchient Eastern thought has always leaned that way. Personally, I think the Jury is still out on all this. But I do admit it would be one hell of a finding if ever proved that all this old creationist debate stuff found out in the end run that yes, there was a creator and its the universe itself which is something in a way science has been trying to tell us all along.

thanks for your clear answer.

It's funny you draw a similar conclusion than the authors of the text I read, they say at the end that if the univrse is a computer then it probably calculates just itself which makes it exists. They didn't get to point that therefore the universe is its own creator, but I like this interpretation....

One way of looking at this is our universe from what we can observe started out as a singularity. For some reason, we'll leave that reason unstated for now, that singular point expanded. When the universe was a singular point all the information about this universe was encoded on its event horizon surface simular to how our best theory predicts information should be ecoded on the surface of a blackhole..

This doesn't make sense. Information is recorded after an event has occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

“Only things in the third dimension can affect things in the second dimension; thus we, being three dimensional beings, live in a two dimensional world.” I don’t call myself a physicist by any means, I have dabbled a little in it, but I haven’t seriously read about dimensions aside from common knowledge. This is something I heard recently any insight, comments, truth?