Science Forums

Electromagnetic motor

Not reading the posts, eh?

I 100% agree with you that generating energy from motion is = to decreasing efficiency. Only way to regenerate enrgy is by using wasted energy, such as using regenerative braking. Static build up on the body of the car is generally a wasted energy source, and as i said, it will NOT increase air friction, you are not changing the body design, you are using the physical process that happens to your car anyways, but is generally wasted by grounding the body of the car to the battery. It still does not sound economical to regen energy this way, to me anyways, but it will not increase the air friction...

not at 60 mph.... it would make a difference only at very high rates of speed, and the amount of power needed to ionize the air is too much, you wont save any energy from doing that. It was tested by Russia in the mid 80s, they had an unmanned craft flying at mach6, and basically used to ionize the air to signifficantly cut the air friction, and thus heating of the nose of the plane. They basically said that it takes too much power, and not that they fully gave up on the project, but they just flew slower... and put the apparatus on hold till better power management is possible (maybe the spy planes use it or something, or the experimental craft, like SU47 Berkut, they dont say, but as far as i know, it's not used in any curerntly in-use aircraft, though as you say, it does work)

Now were splitting hairs, if ionizing the air doesn't significantly affect friction at low speed I will say that low speed will not produce significant static energy. (another factor not mentioned is whether or not the air is dry, humid air doesn't produce static even close to the way dry air does) I guess we need a real expert to chime in and spank one of us :)

Agreed, and in fact i have said so in my earlier post.

I will say it one more time. Static regenerations IS NOT a good solution, it requires a lot of equipment, it requires to have special wheels and tires (the only way you will get electrons moving is to have a ground). It requires car electronics to be isolated to prevent arcs, it increases the amount of damage to the car in an event of a lightning strike (you will get more then some weld marks, i'll say that)

Agreed, and in fact i have said so in my earlier post.

I will say it one more time. Static regenerations IS NOT a good solution, it requires a lot of equipment, it requires to have special wheels and tires (the only way you will get electrons moving is to have a ground). It requires car electronics to be isolated to prevent arcs, it increases the amount of damage to the car in an event of a lightning strike (you will get more then some weld marks, i'll say that)

It's no fun arguing with some one just as stubborn as I am. Lets stop splitting hairs we are going to confuse ryan.:hihi:

Lol, I'm not stubborn, well to some extent i am, but i do let off :hihi:

Ryan was confused to begin with, i merely proposed the only way i see plausible to regen power from a car, without increasing aero drag, from that point i agree with you, it is not the way to regen energy, not will you get much of it, i think our only disagreement was on the aero drag, and i hope at this point you don't still think that using car shell as a cap will increase drag tho, in either case, i'm letting off of it, and am looking for other ways to regen energy, if such exist :(

Ryan, don't get confused :(

Yeah, I am a little confused. I guess I am getting the gist of it what you are both saying. Waste energy needs to be harnessed. Going back to the original design I had proposed, wouldn't the heat generated from a brush around the axls/drive trane be enough. If the pria can do it with brake regeneration can't we do it with that mechanism whereby also producing electromagnetic energy. I know friction causes heat so how do DC or AC motors work as far as running the motor without much friction?

Using paint is a plant patent come up by a bunch of chemists that produces aerodynamics and reduces drag but why when Alexander says you'd fry everything from the electricity produced by a lighting strike suggests that no ground would be available. What if the ground was incorporated into the tires so that that bolt went directly into the ground if it hit the car.

Still ionization at high speeds. An electrical charge to a atom right? We'll why does speed infuence wether or not a charged particle is charged because of friction? Friction is like moving a comb over your hair? An electrical charge is produced. Do it fast and you produce many electrons so the faster you go the more energy you could produce but because of traveling in a vacuum light is able to move through it faster otherwise it is photons disapating?

This electricity idea to fuel a car if it was a hybrid would mean you would have to be traveling at a speed that would generate it. What is that speed comaparative to the traffic laws 10 15 20 25 30 35 45 55 65 is there a median. Some things to think about.

ok, i was afraid of this.... here we go :)

but why when Alexander says you'd fry everything from the electricity produced by a lighting strike suggests that no ground would be available. What if the ground was incorporated into the tires so that that bolt went directly into the ground if it hit the car.

Ground will be available, but since your body is not grounded out, the lightning strike will have to run through the system electronics frying them, before grounding, and no, if you were wondering, that is not what a lightning strike does in a regular car...

We'll why does speed infuence wether or not a charged particle is charged because of friction?

if you are referring to my idea to use static charge on the body as a means to produce energy. The amount of air moving over the vehicle, will determine how much and how quickly the charge builds up...more air, more charged particles interact with the car body to build up the charge...

Going back to the original design I had proposed, wouldn't the heat generated from a brush around the axls/drive trane be enough.

what do you mean by a brush? brush of a motor or brush, as in a brush?

I know friction causes heat so how do DC or AC motors work as far as running the motor without much friction?

nobody said there wasn't any friction... the simplicity of the motor is the answer here, one shaft spinning on, usually, electromagnetic bearings, there is little friction, and the fact that the core that spins, does not touch the outside that drives is a lot. But don't misunderstand it, there is plenty of heat produced by the motors, generally due to sheer amount of power being pushed through the coils, tiny friction of hundreds of millions of electrons within miles of wire is the cause for that :phones:

Using paint is a plant patent come up by a bunch of chemists that produces aerodynamics and reduces drag

which of the paints are you referring to, we've discussed a couple..?

I used to work for Dupont, we used motors and drives that produced huge amounts of heat. If you don't think a rotating magnetic field produces friction and heat you should see a motor that weighs a ton and produced hundreds of horse power. More later, I have to go now.

I used to work for Dupont, we used motors and drives that produced huge amounts of heat. If you don't think a rotating magnetic field produces friction and heat you should see a motor that weighs a ton and produced hundreds of horse power. More later, I have to go now.

:)

lol yeah, i've certainly seen my fair share of liquid-cooled electric motors :phones:

infact i almost had to slap a guy once, rc drifter i talked to online kept claiming that he kept on burning his rc motors, and used to go through line one, every few days. I was like, well, what kind of a heat sink do you have... he was like "heat sink? isn't this an electric motor? i think my batteries are too powerful". So i told him to go and invest into some heat sinks, put them on the motors and that his batteries were absolutely normal, and yeah, i was about to slap him...

Farewell everyone, I am going back to school to finish my undergraduate and then planning on getting a masters.

I may be back at a later date down the road. For now I am going to study. I have learned that my temper can lead to an unhealthy relationship. I have learned that with a solution and by contributing in a healthy way is more productive. I thank everyone hear for their support and wish everyone good luck with their lives. I hope everyone here succeeds and leads a productive life because that is what makes a person happy.

Again,

Thank You

Ryan

I don't see a reason why you are leaving here though.... its not like your school will not have interwebs.... so don't get mad, i know how frustrating it can be at times, trust me though, its no reason to quit here, lol, there are lots of good ideas, we try to help those who may not understand how something works, to filter their ideas into something that can eventually be realized.

It would be a shame if you just leave. There is no reason to just do that, i have even less time then you, and still manage to post here.... used to have a fulltime job and be a fulltime student, you talk about not having a life.... and i still managed to post, so, come, read, post, ask, always welcome, we will always try to help.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K Alexander, I am back but I can't promise for how long.

Static electricity; is there anyway to reduce the chances of a lightning strike. I believe tesla may have created a car that ran on atomospheric electricity but I am not sure. If he did the reason was purely economic why business people didn't develop it. You can't make money on free fuel other than repairing the car when it breaks down. I think that is why green power isn't being invested in because it is harder to charge and harder to tax.

Static electricity; is there anyway to reduce the chances of a lightning strike.

Don't drive in an open area during a thunder storm ;)

I believe tesla may have created a car that ran on atomospheric electricity but I am not sure.

a kite that generated atmospheric electricity, yes, a car that ran on it, as far as i can remember, no...

I think that is why green power isn't being invested in because it is harder to charge and harder to tax.

i think that is a bit unfair to say, considering that in 2009 the US is seeking more then 3.5 bill to sink into alternative fuel research.

Though i do agree, they will not get anywhere near the money back they get from gas. In CT the taxes on gas are such that every 7 gallons of gas i buy, weilds the state about 15 bucks, and that is just crazy if you ask me, mind you only about 10 if not less % of that goes into the DOT fund, for fixing roads, public transportation, and as they claim, building train terminals and buying rail carts.... lets stop there for one second.... WHY THE F*%*K are the money I pay for GAS go towards building things i don't use, like rail roads and rail carts and railroad bridges and such? Another thing, there are plenty of broken roads, and they "patch" them. Hello, last time i checked, those patches don't stay around for more then 2-3 months, and then the road is worse off then it was when the pot hole was there! STOP wasting my money, either build the roads right in the first place, or fix them the right way... and thats aside from the bigger question; Where are the other 90% of my gas tax money going? GAAAH.... ok venting over.

It's time to make a better solution for our transportation troubles. Whether we'll be using natural gas and methane or solar, something NEEDS to be done.

alexander

...........Another thing' date=' there are plenty of broken roads, and they "patch" them. Hello, last time i checked, those patches don't stay around for more then 2-3 months, and then the road is worse off then it was when the pot hole was there! STOP wasting my money, either build the roads right in the first place, or fix them the right way... and thats aside from the bigger question; Where are the other 90% of my gas tax money going? GAAAH.... ok venting over.

It's time to make a better solution for our transportation troubles. Whether we'll be using natural gas and methane or solar, something NEEDS to be done. [/quote']

I can feel your pain brother, maybe we should get rid of "rubber on the road" and take to the air. :shade:

Skywalker VTOL personal aircraft

I can feel your pain brother, maybe we should get rid of "rubber on the road" and take to the air.

that however presents it's own problems, for one, i LOVE my rubber on the road, both in 2 and 4 wheel versions, i love my car, Mazda 3, handles so well, feels so well, i will miss the feel of the road. I love other cars i've driven, i will miss the smell of burning rubber, and the sound the car makes when you are flying through corners at a track day at 100+ mph. Also love drifting.

Then there is the bike part of my intimate relationship with the road. I stunt, i could not do any of those things in the air, yeah, you can do other crazy things in the air, but they are different from the earthly fun that i have on the ground...

That's it, making my own UFO and going to scare people to be afraid of the sky... now only to dig up the plans for that insane engine that this one german scientist built for disk-shaped flying craft in WWII, i bet we could improve on it, its supposed to be powerful, and yet absolutely silent...

alexander

I stunt' date=' i could not do any of those things in the air, yeah, you can do other crazy things in the air, but they are different from the earthly fun that i have on the ground...

That's it, making my own UFO and going to scare people to be afraid of the sky... now only to dig up the plans for that insane engine that this one german scientist built for disk-shaped flying craft in WWII, i bet we could improve on it, its supposed to be powerful, and yet absolutely silent... [/quote']

Well it would save on bridge/road repair, but what fun can you have on flying around on autopilot!

I allways wanted to build a "VZ-9-AV Avrocar" and buzz my friends house.

if we built two?? Avrocar (aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)