Science Forums

To conserve water

goku

which do you think is the best way to conserve water?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which do you think is the best way to conserve water?

• plant grass that needs less water
    • don't water the grass
    • use water saving shower heads

atlanta is running short on water, which is the best way to conserve water?

I'm not sure what the best way would be but there is lots of good ways to conserve water. Stop watering lawns is a great idea, taking shorter showers, stop washing cars, and fixing leaky plumbing are all good ways to slow down the loss of water. If you want to do it Scientifically then you would have to estimate how much water is being lost and attack the biggest causes first. Leaky plumbing can waste a lot more water than people think, watering lawns and golf courses will save huge amounts of water. It all depends on how serious you are about saving water and who is willing to bite the bullet.

i gues that beggs the question, how important is water to you?

You've hit the nail directly on the head, to me water is far to valuable to waste on golf courses, lawns, car washing and leaky plumbing. I would put being able to drink clean water as my most important priority. Everything else is subject to review!

As a fellow Georgian I think that we have to re-evaluate or landscaping. Neighborhoods and commercial associations today use a lot of vegetation that requires a lot of water and I don't think we have ever had to face this before so I think we need to re-evaluate that and what we are planting. Secondly...I think Florida and Alabama need to work with us...they are still taking water from us and don't even have water restriction days on when they can water their lawn/plants/etc. They can do it whenever and I think they should have to help out and should have restrictive days/times as well.

You've hit the nail directly on the head, to me water is far to valuable to waste on golf courses, lawns, car washing and leaky plumbing. I would put being able to drink clean water as my most important priority. Everything else is subject to review!

amen brother! we're fighting tennesse for water, fighting florida for water.....

there shouldn't be one single lawn being watered with city water from north georgia to miami :hihi:

Well I votes Stop watering lawns, as I have not watered my lawn in the last five years I can tell you it does turn brown in the summer, (brown, hell it turns into a desert) I do have some plants that I will water once a week but not many.

Grains

Secondly...I think Florida and Alabama need to work with us...they are still taking water from us and don't even have water restriction days on when they can water their lawn/plants/etc. They can do it whenever and I think they should have to help out and should have restrictive days/times as well.

Part of the problem is not everyone is informed as to what is happening in someone else's yard/state' date=' I have lived in Florida for the last 25 years, and in the last 10 years there have been water restriction days imposed on most of us during the summer months if not longer, now the last 2 years I've been under water restriction days all year long, they review and reissue the plan every 4 months or so, but most of the city's have there own codes that are in place all year long.

Extended water restrictions limit lawn watering to once per week.

extending the modified Phase II (Severe Water Shortage) restrictions through September 30, 2008.

Water Restrictions

And you might find this a good read.

The Drought of 1998-2002: Impacts on Florida’s Hydrology and Landscape

During the 1998-2002 drought' date=' ground-water levels at many wells across the State declined to elevations not seen in many years. At some wells, ground-water levels reached record lows for their period of record. [/quote']

CIRC1295 - The Drought of 1998-2002: Impacts on Florida’s Hydrology and Landscape

As a side note: there were five wells that went dry in my community this year, and it relay pisses me off to see "golf courses, lawns, car washing" when my neighbors wells are running dry.

Florida's side of the debate is basically about the Appalachicola Bay area. They have several concerns.

In court papers, Florida's principal leverage in forcing a larger flow has been the fact that three federally protected species -- two types of mussel and the Gulf sturgeon -- are believed to need fresh water to maintain their habitat.

The demands of the little-known species has led Georgia officials to characterize the debate as a contest of "man versus mussel" -- suggesting that Georgians should get the water before mussels do.

But biologists said the demand for water in Apalachicola Bay is far broader than that.

The region's prized oyster harvest depends upon the freshwater infusion. Too much salinity allows oyster predators to attack. Moreover, the drought along the Apalachicola River has hurt the tupelo trees, from which the region's tupelo honey is named.

"This is not just people versus mussels," said Ted Hoehn, a state biologist who has worked around the bay for 20 years. "It's much bigger than that."

"Blaming the mussel is like blaming the canary in the coal mine for dying," said Andrew Smith, executive director of the Apalachicola Riverkeeper, an advocacy group.

3 States Compete for Water From Shrinking Lake Lanier

As an ecologist that is familiar with those species and their habitats, I would say that even if the Chattahoochee River went completely dry, the mussels and sturgeon would still survive through tributaries and other rivers in the area.

What it's really about is money. Florida's economy will hurt if there is not enough water coming downstream. Likewise, Alabama will not be able to sufficiently cool it's nuclear plant on the river without sufficient water levels. In Georgia, it's a matter of drinking water, but it's also a money issue because Lake Lanier brings in millions per year through recreation. Ironically, Lake Lanier was never supposed to serve as drinking water for Atlanta. As Atlanta's growth has continued at an unchecked, and alarming rate, the unintended well is running dry.

It's a very complicated issue and I believe that all states (and the Corps of Engineers) would do best to refrain from finger pointing and useless rhetoric and instead increase communications and try to reach a unilateral solution. The solution should, of course, incorporate water conservation strategies.

freeztar

Florida's side of the debate is basically about the Apalachicola Bay area. They have several concerns.

<-->

Florida's economy will hurt if there is not enough water coming downstream. Likewise' date=' Alabama will not be able to sufficiently cool it's nuclear plant on the river without sufficient water levels. In Georgia, it's a matter of drinking water, [/quote']

The fact is the Water supply is short, (we waist too much of it) this is a world problem not just Florida/Georgia there are Severe Water Shortages all over the World like China, Australia, Mexico even Russia is being hit with this problem.

freeztar

It's a very complicated issue and I believe that all states (and the Corps of Engineers) would do best to refrain from finger pointing and useless rhetoric and instead increase communications and try to reach a unilateral solution. The solution should' date=' of course, incorporate water conservation strategies. [/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more, we all need to get on the same page as it were, or our whole world is going to go to Hell in a hand basket.

I know we all are changing the way we use and misuse our current water supply but so much more needs to be done,

We need too stop fighting about it set down and git it done.

freeztar

As an ecologist that is familiar with those species and their habitats' date=' I would say that even if the Chattahoochee River went completely dry, the mussels and sturgeon would still survive through tributaries and other rivers in the area. [/quote']

I agree with this to but I think money is the biggest issue.

Water conservation is a serious issue, for everyone, everywhere. Temperatures for the past week have been between 30-35 degrees Celsius, and the sun is hot, hot, hot; the air dry, dry, dry.

Here are some things I'm trying to do to preserve our lawn and our trees, including my fruit trees from dying in the 30-35 C heat (and it should be 40-42 C max soon).

1. Extra organic stuff/mulch on the lawn. When soil has more organic matter and a covering, it'll retain water much better. My lawn has terrible soil--it's too sandy and has little if any humus, making it poor for water retention. For me, this means visiting Starbucks a couple times a week on my shopping trips and getting several pounds of used coffee grounds. These are an easy, abundant source of something akin to leaf litter and mulch. These are scattered by rose bushes, trees, and on the lawn. It makes for a good fertilizer as well. This allows me to...

2. Reduce the amount of watering. I water every couple days in the wee hours of the morning. I see green lawns being watered at noon or in the afternoons by my neighbors. This is terrible. Where I live, early evening is not a good time to water, either. It should be done when the air is cool, the sun is not beating down on the lawn and trees, and evaporation can be more slow and controlled. This means during the night or early morning hours, when temperatures are more around like 15-20 degrees C. Also, watering infrequently encourages the grass to grow their roots deeper, increasing their drought tolerance.

3. Plan to put in more trees and bushes to provide shade. When the lawn gets full exposure to the sun all day long, it requires water all day long too. The only lovely patches of grass in my front and back yards are those by the maple trees. Everything else is yellow or brown. Note to self: increase shaded areas on the property.

4. Might buy crushed/powdered charcoal and spread this on the lawn to create terra preta. Natural processes like rain and earthworms should be able to gradually work the charcoal into the soil, and the charcoal will help increase the water retention and make the lawn greener with less work and water.

5. If I can get some vermicomposting going, I'll add the worm poop to the lawn and trees as well, to help improve their growth and the soil.

I don't like caring for the lawn. I think it's a waste of time and money. I'd much rather grow more fruit trees, grapes, or something I can eat or use. But I am trying to keep it alive to fulfill the city ordinances and to maintain harmony with the neighbors. With the proper planning and care, it should be possible to maintain a pretty decent lawn and to save a lot of water and to cut costs. Look at it as an opportunity to lower your water bill too.

• 1 month later...
DougF post 7

Part of the problem is not everyone is informed as to what is happening in someone else's yard/state' date=' [/quote']

I just thought you would like to know about this, (I thought it as a dead isue but I guess not)

Niagara Bottling Defends Plan To Suck 500' date='000 Gallons Per Day From Aquifer[/size']

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. -- For the first time, the Niagara Bottling is publically defending itself against complaints about its new Lake County plant. The company wants to suck 500,000 gallons of water a day out of the aquifer and bottle it up to sell it.

That same aquifer provides water to 99 percent of Central Florida. A Niagara spokesperson told Eyewitness News on Wednesday that water will stay in the state.

Niagara Bottling has spent $15 million to purchase and re-fit a plant near Groveland. From Lake County, the company will withdraw 177 million gallons of water from the aquifer a year and put it in jugs, at a time when Central Floridians are being told to conserve.

"The state is not running out of drinking water. The aquifer is not going dry," said Niagara spokesperson Honey Rand.

Niagara Bottling Defends Plan To Suck 500,000 Gallons Per Day From Aquifer - Lake County News Story - WFTV Orlando

But it's OK were not running out of water,

(Bull S**t) some one is lying here, and sence wells are running dry!

But then why should they allow this.

Is St. Johns River Water Management District even serious about conservation?

To hear local water officials tell it' date=' we're in dire straits.

They don't want you to water your lawn too often, plant certain grass or even use the kind of shower heads that actually get all the conditioner out of your hair.

The St. Johns River Water Management District even has slogans to drive home the point: " Florida's water -- it's worth saving." And, "Our river needs us."

But while the district is busy preaching at you, it's prepared to give a bottled-water company the winning ticket to the Florida Watery: a permit to drain 177 million gallons of groundwater in Lake County each year.

You and your family would have to use low-flow shower heads for 64 years straight to save as much water as this company would take in a single day.

Put another way: 177 million gallons is more than twice as much OUC water as Wet 'n Wild uses in a year.

Conservationists are mincing no words in their objections to Niagara Bottling's plans.

"This is a frivolous use of groundwater," says the Audubon Society's Charles Lee. [/quote']

Is St. Johns River Water Management District even serious about conservation? -- OrlandoSentinel.com

:hihi: is it me? or does it seem like they are just doing whatever they want too and Dam the consequences? ;)

I just thought you would like to know about this, (I thought it as a dead isue but I guess not)

Niagara Bottling Defends Plan To Suck 500,000 Gallons Per Day From Aquifer - Lake County News Story - WFTV Orlando

But it's OK were not running out of water,

(Bull S**t) some one is lying here, and sence wells are running dry! then why should they allow this.

Is St. Johns River Water Management District even serious about conservation? -- OrlandoSentinel.com

:hihi: is it me? or does it seem like they are just doing whatever they want too and Dam the consequences? ;)

It's just another example of the golden rule, whom ever has the gold makes the rules. It happens in all aspects of life, the little guy always gets the short end of the stick. When something is going wrong or goes wrong you blame the little guy and take away from the little guy. The big guys are too difficult to make do anything.