Science Forums

Can we use mind power to prolong our life?

Jet2

I really want to say we can but it's only my wishful thinking.

And if yes, then we can do many things with it.

Will that "If you think you can. You can." help here on this case?

Again I'd like to believe it helps but I don't have proof at all.

Or somebody may ask, what is mind power?

Wether or not 'mind power', whatever that may refer to can prolong life, the state of the mind does affect the length of life.

Happiness helps people stay healthy - health - 18 April 2005 - New Scientist

The link above gives an indication that the state of mind does alter the factors that usually put the 'upper limits' of human life.

Usually, what people refer to as mind power is will power, or just will. I seriously doubt that a very strong will to live could actually prolong life any further than a milder will, but I'd guess, even hypothesise that a will not to live (in the form of depression, etc) could shorten lifespan.

Or also take the example of a 2 people of similar health get some kind of sickness. One of them wants to get healthy the sooner the better the other doesn't care. It will be the one who wants to get healthy that will be it fi9rst.

It is a thing I heard many doctors saying, but I'm sure there are also actual studies done on it. Don't have time to do a search for them now...

Not sure whether this is "mind power" in the sense you mean, but it has been proven that regularly exercising the brain through reading a lot, for instance, markably delays the onset of mental illness.

Also, people with hobbies they're passionate about seem to live longer than those who don't.

But I don't think you can live longer through sheer willpower.

The brain is a muscle! It has to be exercised! No brain, no gain!