Science Forums

R&R Name That tune!

Moontanman

Ok, name a really great song/band from the last two decades that wasn't already great before!

Fleet Foxes

Nirvana

Tool

Rage Against the Machine

Amy Winehouse

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

etc...etc...

And these would be examples of......what?

Bands within the last 2 decades that have made good songs imo.

Moontanman, you've got to be kidding. There is absolutely no way to have an argument about music like this because music taste is purely subjective. In many ways, music has changed so much that it isn't even comparable anyway among genres and time periods.

Now I love old classic rock and pop from the seventies, but that's because I'm old enough to remember it, but I'm not big on the big band era since it wasn't really a part of my life. And I don't really like old Country and Western music, even though I'm sure many who like Country would say it was the best and that Country just isn't the same today.

I think there's been plenty of great music produced over the last two decades, some of which I like, and some I don't care for. But that's just me.

There's no rule of thumb when it comes to music. To each his own.

Now, figure this one out:

:phones: Slight of hand and twist of fate

On a bed of nails she makes me wait :shrug:

OK mine was

Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs

The sun don't shine

The moon don't move the tides,

to wash me clean

Sun don't shine

The moon don't move the tides,

to wash me clean

Why so unforgiving and why so cold

Been a long time crossing Bridge of Sighs

Cold wind blows

The Gods look down in anger,

on this poor child

Cold wind blows

And Gods look down in anger,

on this poor child

Why so unforgiving and why so cold

Been a long time crossing Bridge of Sighs

Oh come now...

I tend to agree that music in the last 2-3 decades has not been on par with stuff before it, but it's wrong to say that *no* good music has come out in the last 15 years, imho. For a quick example of the top of my head, have you checked out Fleet Foxes? They just came out with their debut album in June 2008. It sounds like it easily could have been written in the seventies. There are countless more examples (eg. the whole grunge movement: Nirvana etc.).

Couldn't agree more - and I was all up in the Nirvana/grunge underground in my youth.

Norah Jones - Don't Know Why I Didn't Come

Good Song!

You beat me to it... I have that CD and the whole thing is fantastic.

:phones: There's a flag wrapped around a score of men... A gag - a plastic bag on a monument :shrug:

Bands within the last 2 decades that have made good songs imo.

Are you going to like, mention Miley Cyrus next? :hyper: I am sorry I just couldn't help my self! I guess i am just an old fogy. I grew up with the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Santana, Eagles, Queen, BS&T, Three Dog Night, Kansas, Nazareth, Doobie Brothers, Grand Funk, Allman Brothers, Brownsville Station, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and that's just the first few off the top of my head. I honestly don't see the equal to these bands in recent music. But then again I am an old guy..... Oh god, I sound like my parents :)

Couldn't agree more - and I was a all up in the Nirvana/grunge underground in my youth.

You beat me to it... I have that CD and the whole thing is fantastic.

:hyper: There's a flag wrapped around a score of men... A gag - a plastic bag on a monument :)

Nora Jones is a bright light in the dark for sure!

Moontanman, you've got to be kidding. There is absolutely no way to have an argument about music like this because music taste is purely subjective. In many ways, music has changed so much that it isn't even comparable anyway among genres and time periods.

Now I love old classic rock and pop from the seventies, but that's because I'm old enough to remember it, but I'm not big on the big band era since it wasn't really a part of my life. And I don't really like old Country and Western music, even though I'm sure many who like Country would say it was the best and that Country just isn't the same today.

I think there's been plenty of great music produced over the last two decades, some of which I like, and some I don't care for. But that's just me.

There's no rule of thumb when it comes to music. To each his own.

Now, figure this one out:

:hyper: Slight of hand and twist of fate

On a bed of nails she makes me wait :)

You are of course correct modest, I am just an old fogy, my son even agrees with me that new music isn't as good as the old but he does come up with a few new groups and songs from time to time. Massive Attack is pretty good a few others but they don't do it for me like the old stuff. It's me, not you guys:doh: Heres another one from the stoned age!

:)

The ocean is a desert with its life underground

And a perfect disguise above

Under the cities lies a heart made of ground

But the humans will give no love

:singer:

Moontanman, you've got to be kidding. There is absolutely no way to have an argument about music like this because music taste is purely subjective. In many ways, music has changed so much that it isn't even comparable anyway among genres and time periods...
You are of course correct modest...

Usually, yes - but I think that was Reason who was correct there. :hihi:

I agree with Reason though. As much as I really like Pink Floyd, I didn't grow up with them. I've never been to a Pink Floyd concert :shrug: I've been to a Coldplay concert - I've experienced that music and lived it in a way. I assure you, after seeing them live - there was no other band in the world that ever compared. And, other people have lived and experienced other music. Some people would tell you Akon or Hannah Montana are as good as it gets :rolleyes:

It's all subjective. There is quality in most every genre.

~modest

Come on guys, i said I was sorry, I was being age chauvinistic, I am sorry don't bet up on old moontanman. :hihi: Try this one again....

:rolleyes:

Love of two is one

Here but now they're gone

Came the last night of sadness

And it was clear she couldn't go on

:shrug:

Come on guys, i said I was sorry, I was being age chauvinistic, I am sorry don't bet up on old moontanman. :doh: Try this one again....

I suppose we all get a little nutty when our music is under fire :hihi: Sorry :)

:rolleyes:

Love of two is one

Here but now they're gone

Came the last night of sadness

And it was clear she couldn't go on

"I need more cowbell!"

:rotfl: :lol: :D :lol:

Don't fear the reaper

~modest

I suppose we all get a little nutty when out music is under fire :rolleyes: Sorry :lol:

"I need more cowbell!"

:shrug: :hihi: :lol: :rotfl:

Don't fear the reaper

~modest

Yeah, I started to put it in the theology section since it was the Blue Oyster Cult!

Ok another one... from the dinosaur days of vinyl, stoners, and bikers.

plastic, rocks and bicycles? I don't get it ;)

A jumpin' up, fallin' down

Don't misunderstand me

You don't think that I know your plan

What you tryin' a hand me

I'm gonna guess Neil Young though I have absolutely no idea.

one for the masses:

Generals gathered in their masses

Just like witches at black masses

ohhh, feels good to scream that one :hihi:

~modest