Science Forums

Shut down problem in windows xp

About 50% of the time I try to shut down my computer I get a "program not responding" and I have to end it now. The program is "ccSvcHst" this just started about a month ago. When it does this, it takes about 5 minutes for my system to fully shut down. It is getting annoying, does anybody know what this is or how to fix it? I have tried every kind of scan and fix tool that I know of. Repaired windows files, cleaned registry, cleared restore points, defrag, ran full Norton scan. Nothing seems to work. I keep my hard drive very clean and free of clutter and bloatware. I have no clue what triggered this error.

- Windows XP Pro w/all updates

- Norton 360 w/all updates

Here is my hardware

- Motherboard - Chipset Intel i945P Dell Inc. 0FJ030

- Pentium D 3.2 GHz W/2 cores

Can anyone help me out?

Download this fix tool: Fix Tool

click download, write it to a CD, reboot, boot off the cd, choose install, wait for the thing to boot up, then press the install again, follow the on-screen instructions, and shazaam, no more hanging process issues on shutdown, and no more 5 minute shut down times... ;)

No, problem is in Norton 360, something in the installation causes this, one of the proposed fixes is:

YouTube - Leo Laporte Tears apart Norton 360! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ

For real now, does your computer have a floppy drive? if it does not, try this:

Open NIS (norton internet security) 2007, click the NIS tab, open Settings, click AutoProtect, click Configure, select General Settings, and deselect (uncheck) Scan Floppy Drive at Shutdown, click Apply and exit.

If it works, all praise google now :doh: