Science Forums

UFO's - Somebody Else's Problem?

In my youth I saw a long, black needle shaped object in the sky, floating at an oblique angle. It was visible for ten minutes at least and was reported/ illustrated in John Keel's book 'UFO's: Operation Trojan Horse' as being seen globally.

Now the thing is that I was accompanied on my way home by fellow pupils, including the form captain and a cousin of mine. While I stood mesmerized by the phenomena, they just casually walked on talking as though this gigantic object didn't exist.

Several years after I read one of the later 'Hitch-Hikers Guides to the Galaxy' books by Douglas Adams, which mentioned a SEP (Somebody Else's Problem), which I thought was an interesting concept. What it was saying in essence is that if something doesn't concern you, it will be invisible to you. The way I see it, is that it's like something that interests you - if you're fascinated by it, you open up to it and follow it through, if not it remains a closed book to you, like intellectual pursuits do to a Jock (It's all geek to them) or vice-versa, with regards to a Geek and sports. In other words it's not that the phenomena doesn't exist, it's that you turn a blind eye to its existence (It remains within peripheral vision only i.e. on the edge of consciousness, not fully immersed in it).

It's like love - somebody else may not see the beauty in someone or something because they have not actively invested their time and attention on it (The work you put in equals the emotional return you get out - none in, none out; hate is withdrawal of investment, love is payment in). In this way we 'create' or destroy reality with our attitudes towards it: We link to or disconnect from ideas, changing them from thought forms to reality (magic) and this maybe where UFO's and everything else comes from unless they have life of their own (See Tibetan Tulpa's and witches familiars, for more on this subject).:rockon:

Not as far-fetched as you might think, at first.

When Columbus 'n his boyz rocked up in da new world, their ships were so strange and foreign, so far removed from the Indians' everyday experience, that they literally did not see the ships. An account tells of a woman who saw these "dragons" come over the horizon, and try as she might, she can't get her fellow people to see it. She had no explanation for it, and the rest of the crowd simply blanked it out.

Seems like you and her had a similar experience.

Provided the UFO you saw was, in fact, real. If it wasn't, then the fault clearly doesn't lie with your friends... :rockon:

Not as far-fetched as you might think, at first.

When Columbus 'n his boyz rocked up in da new world, their ships were so strange and foreign, so far removed from the Indians' everyday experience, that they literally did not see the ships. An account tells of a woman who saw these "dragons" come over the horizon, and try as she might, she can't get her fellow people to see it. She had no explanation for it, and the rest of the crowd simply blanked it out.

Seems like you and her had a similar experience.

Provided the UFO you saw was, in fact, real. If it wasn't, then the fault clearly doesn't lie with your friends... ;)

Why you! I ought to bust your head! (If it exists):doh:

What it was saying in essence is that if something doesn't concern you, it will be invisible to you. The way I see it, is that it's like something that interests you - if you're fascinated by it, you open up to it and follow it through, if not it remains a closed book to you, like intellectual pursuits do to a Jock (It's all geek to them) or vice-versa, with regards to a Geek and sports. In other words it's not that the phenomena doesn't exist, it's that you turn a blind eye to its existence (It remains within peripheral vision only i.e. on the edge of consciousness, not fully immersed in it).

It's like love - somebody else may not see the beauty in someone or something because they have not actively invested their time and attention on it (The work you put in equals the emotional return you get out - none in, none out; hate is withdrawal of investment, love is payment in). In this way we 'create' or destroy reality with our attitudes towards it: We link to or disconnect from ideas, changing them from thought forms to reality (magic) and this maybe where UFO's and everything else comes from unless they have life of their own (See Tibetan Tulpa's and witches familiars, for more on this subject).;)

I have noticed this in every day phenomenon, I has outside one day observing an unusual sunset, a cumulus nimbus thunder head on the horizon lit up pink and orange, it was awe inspiring. I watched a neighbor come out of her house, since we lived on a hill the horizon was impossible to miss. She walked to the put some trash in the can facing the atomic mushroom cloud , I waited for her to stop and react to the scene painted by a some god, but she was not tuned in to the magic happening right in front of her. Some people I have noticed never look at the sky.