Science Forums

Objectivism?

Fishteacher73

Its a total cult. Read my posts above. Ms. Rand was really popular in my crowd in high school, but we all seemed to walk away from it assuming she was holding objectivism up to ridicule, rather than promoting it. Its only when you read some of her biographical info that you start to understand that she actually thought that the Tooheys of the world should be idolized! :)

They're fun to razz tho. Kinda like trying to convert a Moonie, but they tend to be a bit more intellectual so it can be a challenge....

Cheers,

Buffy

Yeah, I'm back. Watch out!

I sort of knew I was getting into a hornet's nest although some of the posts were awfully dumb and non-compliant. One of my comments suggested similarities between Freud and Rand's theories of ego, and another was a question about why collective nouns (furniture) and general references (a city) are considered to be "concepts." Those and others were not answered, just rejected. :)

objectivism somehow neglects any views of psychology that human behavior is environmentally conditioned. Selfish desires are highly likely influenced by an objectivistic worldview.
Agreed. There was a lot of "truth" proposed in the forum, based primarily on the Rand "bible." I agree that people are motivated first by their own needs, but there are many causes for their behaviour. Neuroscience and psychology are getting close to explaining a lot but the Objectivists are not open to new knowledge. That's cult thinking (or nonthinking).

One of my comments suggested similarities between Freud and Rand's theories of ego...

Ha ha! Yeah, and that must have driven them nuts: Freud basically says that ego has to be tempered by id and superego in order to avoid being sociopathic, while the Objectivists think that in the ideal, the ego would overpower the other two.

If you really want to razz them, ask about the similarities between Objectivism and Dianetics.... :)

Cheers,

Buffy

Ha ha! Yeah, and that must have driven them nuts: Freud basically says that ego has to be tempered by id and superego in order to avoid being sociopathic, while the Objectivists think that in the ideal, the ego would overpower the other two.

If you really want to razz them, ask about the similarities between Objectivism and Dianetics.... :)

Cheers,

Buffy

No way! Besides, I ducked out already. Didn't want to subject myself to even more warped thinking than I find day to day.