Science Forums

Network Emulation

Alexander's wardriving thread led me to look up all kinds of leads. I stumbled across honeyd. It can emulate a large network and can be used for security, especially with honeypots.

Is this useful/practical for small networks? (3-4 computers)

*freeztar waits patiently...the "Alexander bait" is set...it is only a matter of time...

:sherlock:

actually you can tell that it's a honeypot, if you are good enough. Honey networks are rather useful for testing, playing with things, and yeah, as traps for various things, such as viruses and so forth. Honey nets are also used for training and for defense, for example, honey net shows that it's a lot less secured then the real net, or shows up as unpatched machines on the network. Viri and script kiddies will attack the unsecured machines, because they dont do their homework, and well, get caught...

Actually used a honey pot for a project i was doing, called hack back honeypot. basically it was a machine on the network, that would be an easy target for a virus or anything of that matter. It would listen for viruses on the network and then, if it gets attacked, would attempt to id the virus, figure out what it exploit it uses to get into the machine and what it opens, get into the machine, patch it, and leave :shrug:

depends on what you do with it. If you are playing with security, doing research or catching viri, then honeypot may not be a bad idea, though more and more people use VMware, honeypot uses signifficantly less resources, which means you can run more of them. But for your overwhelming majority, it will be a complex undertaking lead by not understanding what it is they are doing that will end in confusion and drop of the project...

*freeztar waits patiently...the "Alexander bait" is set...it is only a matter of time...
I'm sorry ...I have nothing usefull to say here...but the above had me in tears.....way too funny!!!:hihi:

Though this does sound like something that should be engineered into a pc security suite. Similar principle only w/out the server network.:shrug:

basically it was a machine on the network, that would be an easy target for a virus or anything of that matter. It would listen for viruses on the network and then, if it gets attacked, would attempt to id the virus, figure out what it exploit it uses to get into the machine and what it opens, get into the machine, patch it, and leave

for example, honey net shows that it's a lot less secured then the real net, or shows up as unpatched machines on the network. Viri and script kiddies will attack the unsecured machines, because they dont do their homework, and well, get caught

nix = unix, linux, minix, ultrix, os x, etc :D

is your minolta networked? is it connected to a print server, or anything like that?

generally i would say that if that unix driver is nothing more then a cups (Common Unix Printing System) ppd file, then you should have no problems using it in ubuntu (since ubuntu uses cups for printing, well i should say cups is the best printing system for linux, period :) )

nix = unix, linux, minix, ultrix, os x, etc :D

is your minolta networked? is it connected to a print server, or anything like that?

Minolta no, Epson Color Stylus 3000* (*more alphabet soup) It's a monstrously huge (roughly 3'6"X2'X1') multi task printer capable of printing images 18" by as long as the paper you feed (it has a cog and a roll feed as well as a tray that handles paper up to 24"X18.5") it at high resolution.