Science Forums

Good Linux Programs

So, I finally broke down and installed Ubuntu on my computer. So far, after the initial few hours of problems (I had installed it without connecting to the internet, which caused some odd problems) it's been working okay. What I'd like to know is what programs I should have (that are free to download, of course) and whether there's anything that I should know about running linux that I might not have stumbled blindly across. I'm currently not using any anti-virus or firewall (unless Ubuntu comes with one), I'm using firefox, openoffice, and the movie player that came with it, although I'd like a better one. I've had some problems with Wine, I'm trying to run Apprentice (a magic the gathering online program) but it won't run correctly and I tried downloading Quicktime to play a .mov but when I try to run it I get a buffer overrun problem. Any advice as to some good programs to get?

ubuntu comes with iptables (it's built into the kernel and there is an interface to it)

before i go on, what kind of programs are you looking for, dave?

VLC is your friend...

and do use the ubuntu installer for this....

go through your menus and find synaptic package manager.

Go into it, on top there will be tools or something like that, and in one of the dropdown menus, you will find the repository management option

go into that, and enable all but developement repositories (you can also disable the cd as a repository, cuz its annoying)

then go back and refresh, now you have the ability to find about 20,000 open-source and free programs for your machine

start by installing automatix (i think they are up to 2 or 3) instructions here and getting some of the not-so-free plugins and such

then install the VLC player through the repositories (it will play almost everything, even downloaded youtube flash vids)

but yeah what kind of programs are you thinking of, i know many many good progs ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Funny they say they're ditching automatix for 8.0 and Debian...Isn't Ubu built from deb. I know it's at least sort of compatible as I have a Debian installer and it works. Not that it matters much either way as I never installed Automatix and have no idea what the heck it even is!!!!

Support for Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, MEPIS, Debian will be dropped*
Automatix development has ceased (There will be no Automatix for Ubuntu 8.04). Read more here .

Also most of the goodies I've found for debian claim to be compatible as Ubu is whatever from deb.

Seems like a good place to ask ....what the he!! is Jack and how do you make it work? All my media goodies seem to require it and refuse to work! I must have my media goodies they're the only reason I rebuilt/am further modifying me beater!!!!!

Hmmm, I've been having a problem with KTorrent - whenever it's running, I can't use my browser. I can still IM, but neither my computer nor other computers on my home network can access webpages.

Other than bittorrent clients, are there any good p2p programs to get for linux?

I've got limewire it ain't great but basic is free and suffices.

It works well with Ubu. though my Pc is is desperate need of ram (I only have 128MB) so it's really slow...I also have it on my XP system and it is alright though you sometimes have to wade through the garbage to get what your after...Beware though even though they claim to be free of nasties I have picked up the occasional bug.

P2P with Linux I use Azureus Bit Torrent Client, its Java Based and comes with tons of features ranging in skill levwel from begin to advanced users, supports proxy/TOR anonomy, etc... The new ver of it is Vuze which is also pretty cool - it's an Open Entertainment Platform.

The kicker of it is depending on what Linux Distro you are running it's either simple to install or a royal pain in the a$$!

I have a Slacks build and needed to install all sorts of libraries such as XulRunner in order for it to build the java framework properly. I believe though with Ubuntu there is a DEB installer for it so it should be fairly easy to do just dont get it through the "Add/Remove Applications" installer as that is an older version, download it from Azureus directly and go from there

My favorite Torrent client is btclient or bittorent or something to that extent. Its a set of programs written in python (yes there is a gui). I always used it, and it has features that "normal" clients just don't have, like using torrent files located in some folder, and every time you throw a torrent in there, it will download... but i also use azureus, its pretty decent, and has definitely come a long way.

limewire and such all suck, if you are talking non bittorent p2p, get apollon client and plugins to connect to gnutella and any other network you can find. basically it will search all those limewire and such networks and let you use one client, that is free of bs, to download whatever it is you want...

limewire and such all suck, if you are talking non bittorent p2p, get apollon client and plugins to connect to gnutella and any other network you can find. basically it will search all those limewire and such networks and let you use one client, that is free of bs, to download whatever it is you want...

Ya just had to know this was coming":doh:" <this is you......an...dis is me>:hihi:

Is there a link for us non-geeks? Are they hard for idjuts like me to install?

An dis is me tryin to find an install stuff:eek_big::doh::hihi::doh::eek2::doh: :thumbs_up

make sure you have universe packages enabled and

pop up a terminal and go:

sudo apt-get install gift giftui libgnutella-gift libopenft-gift

this will give you access to openft which is gift's own netowork and gnutella, that is used by:

acquisition

apollon

bearflix

bearshare

cabos

frostwire

gnucleus/gnudna

imesh

kceasy

kiwi alpha

limewire

morpheus

mp3 rocket

phex

poisoned

sharezaa

symella

xfactor

you can download further plug-ins for networks here:

giFT: Network Plugins

those will additionally give you access to

kazaa via fasttrack protocol

opennap via napster protocol

ares network

donkey (which should cover the e-donkey and stuff)