Science Forums

DIY - Deliciously Sweet Way to calculate the speed of light

This video was put together by someone I've never met, but whom I consider a friend. I am curious to hear your feedback. Enjoy. :soapbox:

YouTube - Astronomy Simplified (#3): Speed of Light Experiment http://youtube.com/watch?v=iPZ_cRv9P8Y

Measuring the Speed of Light » SmarterThanThat

Consider: You’re a deer on a dark road. A pair of headlights is suddenly approaching you. Fast. You stare at it intently… wondering - how fast is the light moving? Now, if you’re that deer, chances are this wouldn’t be your first concern. Or maybe it would. Maybe that’s why they take so long to move away – long calculations about the speed of light flood their minds..

Of course, any educated deer knows that light moves at approximately 300*10^8 meters per second, which is very fast. It is wise, therefore, to move away very fast. But, as luck goes, by the time that realization passes the deer’s mind… well, you know. Poor deer.

But, that’s life.

That's a great video IN, thanks for sharing!! I wish I had more "real-life" friends like her, she seems like she would be fun to hang out with. :phones:

Welcome back UncleAl! :)

Can you expound upon number three a bit. It makes perfect sense to me, but it's always been something I've taken to be true without any way of specifically reasoning its validity, other than just assuming c. Maybe I just answered my own question...