Science Forums

Prove evolution to a scientologist

Brinnie

As a science fiction writer, Hubbard is very soft, gleefully violating scientific laws of nature as needed to carry a plot – though, unusually for a soft scifi writer, he eschews supernatural and psychic elements, and exhibits a reverence for engineers bordering on the idolatrous.

Myself, I think I am holding Mr. Hubbard to a higher standard, especially considering my recent encounter with the fact that Arthur C. Clarke passed away last Wednesday. I do not wish to deride anyone else's reading preference, not by any means, but I lost a bit of a hero when I discovered that ACC passed away, and (to be perfectly frank) I see Mr. Hubbard as a bit of a dwarf in comparison.

As others here have mentioned, there's also Asimov, but let's not go there, as it might make scientology look bad. :shrug:

"I think scientology is a mental disorder." ~C1ay

Myself, I think I am holding Mr. Hubbard to a higher standard, especially considering my recent encounter with the fact that Arthur C. Clarke passed away last Wednesday. I do not wish to deride anyone else's reading preference, not by any means, but I lost a bit of a hero when I discovered that ACC passed away, and (to be perfectly frank) I see Mr. Hubbard as a bit of a dwarf in comparison.

As others here have mentioned, there's also Asimov, but let's not go there, as it might make scientology look bad. :hihi:

"I think scientology is a mental disorder." ~C1ay

Be careful dude, they are everywhere and they watch every move you make, at least if you have money!

Michael

INTRO

where to start, where to start...

• ok. to the best of my understanding, scientists are required to believe in evolution.
  • i do not believe in evolution, so i guess i cant be a scientist.
  • apparently, scientology says that for $12,499 i can believe in what i want, but maybe you guys will let me slide with my foodstamp card... [joke]

EVIDENCE OF EVOLUTION

understand that i have not 'written off' the theory of evolution, it just hasn't been proved to me. if evolution is true, i'd really like to know. but there are some things that either go over my head or just don't make sense to me. i am going to ask some questions that you might consider stupid, but try to give me a good answer, they'll be labled A,B,C, etc... i'll have more questions as i learn.

A. FOSSILS:

how old is the oldest discovered caveman skull and where is it today?

how old is the oldest discovered monkey skull and where is it today?

can someone show me one of those "from monkey to man" pictures with the fossil dates, but also tell me which museums the skulls are found in?

B. MACROEVOLUTION:

So monkeymen have been around for millions of years and then in the last 2,000 years we all the sudden became smart and invented the wheel, lights, car, computer? where is logical data in that?

CONTROVERSY

there are millions of people who think; and thousands of webpages that say evolution is false. at this point, i don't understand how anyone can say there isn't some truth to both sides.

don't we need to do more lab tests and experiments before claiming a theory is 100% fact? I thought science was all about testing. ;)

maybe i stand alone, but i don't think it's very "scientific" to rule out any possibility, even if it's only 0.5% probable :P

You have been given quite a bit of information about why evolution should be true and quite a few flipant remarks about scientology mine included and for that I would like to say I'm sorry your beliefs are your own, but what I would like to know is how you can believe in scientology. Can you give any evidence of the basic truth of your belief? Evolution may be false but at this point a huge amount of data says evolution is real and is how life not only came to be but how it became complex. Does Scientology have a similar body of evidence?