Science Forums

Ockham's Razor

TINNY

fof course i could rearrange the propsed question so that both theories existed but the simpler one was chosen

OK, it's a deal. You submit the two rearranged in such as fashion that Ockham's Razor would choose the other one. Thanks for offering. It will be an interesting experiment.

i would only point out that your answer implies ockham's razor should be limited to non-behavioral problems.

My response was directly related to a CRIMINAL situation presented, NOT a cognitive one.

i was referring to the foresic process which is a scientific methodology and though the apllication of it to discern the facts concerning a murder involve human motives

If it was SCIENCE, it would be "judged by twelve computers instead of" randomly selected jurors. Look how well forensic science did in convicting OJ. Unlike actual science, forensic's data winds up in the hands of the uniformed for ultimate determination.

Could OR be used in other cognitive sciences? I don't see why not. It would seem to be what is used in medical science also. Given a set of symptoms, with multiple possible theories/ explanations/ diagnosises's, (diagnosi?) doctors typically strat by treating the less invasive solution first.

forgive my ignorance on the subject but i believe this is the universal starting point at which anyone learns about something.

Ignorace is easily cured, stupid is forever. OK, not always easily. But always worth the effort. I'm anxious to learn from your offer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was SCIENCE, it would be "judged by twelve computers instead of" randomly selected jurors. Look how well forensic science did in convicting OJ. Unlike actual science, forensic's data winds up in the hands of the uniformed for ultimate determination.

are you actually saying that forensic science is not an actual science because it can be ineffective in swaying the minds of jurors. that has got to be one of the weakest arguments i have ever heard.

OK, it's a deal. You submit the two rearranged in such as fashion that Ockham's Razor would choose the other one. Thanks for offering. It will be an interesting experiment.

how about this instead:

1- mass violence is caused by human behavior.

2- mass violence is caused by human behavior inspired by religious teachings.

apply ockham's razor.

Ignorace is easily cured, stupid is forever. OK, not always easily. But always worth the effort. I'm anxious to learn from your offer.

why are you so disrepectful brother. even you tagline is a bitter mockery. i came here to communicate not prove my self worth by insulting others who i see as less intellegent than myself. kind of sad if you ask me.

how about this instead:

1- mass violence is caused by human behavior.

2- mass violence is caused by human behavior inspired by religious teachings.

apply ockham's razor.

This is not a valid approach. Those are not opposites. The second is a specific version of the first.

why are you so disrepectful brother. even you tagline is a bitter mockery. i came here to communicate not prove my self worth by insulting others who i see as less intellegent than myself. kind of sad if you ask me.

mother engine, I respectfully suggest you try to follow your gut feeling and keep communicating. Nobody is asking you to prove your worth. If you feel insulted, either use the reputation feature, report the post, or talk to one of the admins.