Science Forums

Baby IQ

Deeptha

Would like to know more about the IQ of a just born baby. Is it correct to state the IQ is 'God Given' ? What are the factors that really make up the intelligence quotient of a baby? Is there a way a mother could enhance and nurture the inborn IQ right from babyhood? Does a baby recieve these mind games?

I am expecting my first baby in April 2008. I am excited at the prospect of shaping another individual's life and thinking - I would like pointers on what best a mother could do to give the best 'brain deal' to her child.

Thanks - Deeptha Echampati

Would like to know more about the IQ of a just born baby.

As IQ is a measure of intelligence based on tests that can be administered to interactive people, it has no relevance with newborns who are incapable of talking or writing.

Is it correct to state the IQ is 'God Given' ?

By 'God Given', I'm assuming you mean hereditary.

Heredity is the major determining factor in IQ, but IQ is also influenced by environmental factors (nurture vs. nature). Here's a wikipedia article that gives a good brief description:

Intelligence quotient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there a way a mother could enhance and nurture the inborn IQ right from babyhood? Does a baby recieve these mind games?

I'm sure there are many different theories on this, but I believe the most important things you can give your baby to help him/her develop is attention and affection.

I am expecting my first baby in April 2008.

Congratulations! :)

I am excited at the prospect of shaping another individual's life and thinking - I would like pointers on what best a mother could do to give the best 'brain deal' to her child.

I'll let the Hypography mothers answer that question as I'm not exactly qualified. :applause:

Would like to know more about the IQ of a just born baby. Is it correct to state the IQ is 'God Given' ?

This is the classic discussion of Nature (the 'God given' or 'inherent' part), and Nurture, the environment of the child part.

What are the factors that really make up the intelligence quotient of a baby? Is there a way a mother could enhance and nurture the inborn IQ right from babyhood? Does a baby recieve these mind games?

The factors are numerous and not all known; touch/contact/attention are ways a parent can Nurture an infant, and babies, all else being equal, recieve these actions in a positive manner.

I am expecting my first baby in April 2008. I am excited at the prospect of shaping another individual's life and thinking - I would like pointers on what best a mother could do to give the best 'brain deal' to her child.

Thanks - Deeptha Echampati

Congratulations! Your excitement and its root bode well for a new individual. :)

PS I am male, and so not a mother.

Step 1: Forget about IQ. Just about anything you're told about prenatal activities that can "boost IQ" are useless at best and *may cause actual harm* to your baby.

Step 2: Take care of *yourself*. The biggest dangers to your unborn child are those that are basically just abuse to your own body. Don't drink, don't smoke, and--we now know from today's paper--avoid caffeine. Do exercise. The food cravings are strange, but you really are better off with pickles than peanut butter (that was my weakness...). Stay *healthy*.

Step 3: Realize that like everything in life, what you get is what you get, and the only thing that really counts is *what you make of it*. If you have unrealistic expectations about what you think your baby should be like, you'll be disappointed and that will have a *horrible* effect on her as she grows up.

Step 4: Love conquers all. Give them all the love you can because ultimately that's what gives them the best chance at succeeding in life!

IQ is meaningless. Success has to do with a combination of traits, many of which you can at least influence as your child grows, and that depends on the effort and patience and *forethought* that you devote to it. You shouldn't want your child to be just smart: you want them to be well-rounded, so that *they* can decide what to do with themselves as they grow up.

You cannot control everything. You cannot even set all the goals. Having a child is an *adventure* and most of the joy of it is in the experiences along the way that you have no way of predicting. Ultimately, you simply get their lives started: its not about you, its about them, and its their life to create, so letting go is the hardest and most fulfilling thing you can do.

Good luck! :)

Buffy

Is there a way a mother could enhance and nurture the inborn IQ right from babyhood?
Stimulate thought and reflection, and don't prevent it.

Read to them and they'll consider reading a fun thing. Play intelligent games with them. Give intelligent answers to their questions and give them intelligent questions to ponder over. There are two ways of teaching children: the way that prevents them from thinking and the way that requires them to think.

I'll let the Hypography mothers answer that question as I'm not exactly qualified. :)
Fathers count too! ;)