Science Forums

Eee PC - Got one?

Onyone bought an E-ee PC yet?

_I did!!!

--it's definately not for the average user as they are trying to pan it off. I got one from the local monopoly retail chain the other day (no choice - ASUS made a deal with Australia's reatil giant - like Wallmart to the US guy's reading)

Thier pretty darn cool off the bat - pulled mine apart - almost easier to pull apart than some desktops. The OS pretty much OK for average dealings on a day to day basis, once you stuff around with your sources.list you should be able to get some of your fav apps on thier.

On an off topic /tangent....

any of you in the US get urselves an XO ? -- I would love one of them.

...and if you did get one - any mods in mind?

I haven't been in a mart in 4 years now, i am against them, and i will do anything in my power to not buy anything from a mart! (that's a topic on itslef though)

There are a few nix PCs coming out now that are looking cooler and cooler, E-ee PC being one, there's a company named Zonbu, that makes a fanless 1.4Ghz that operates on 15-30W (other then in DVDr/rw, no moving parts, like HD), loads of apps (though you can't install more), and with a subscription, you can store up to 50gig on their continuously backed up servers, this is all transparently integrated and 100% supported (yes you can access your account and all the files anywhere you go where there is internet)

With 2 year subscription @14.95/mo these go for $99... really cool little things...

No i don't have an XO, the idea for OLPC is to GIVE a laptop to a child in a developing country, and NOT get yourself a hack top for cheap!!! PLEASE VISIT THIS and if you donate to the project, you will always get five stars in my book! (thinking about a project in conjunction with OLPC and Hypo... more as a promotion, hey, T, you think we can distinguish those who have donated to OLPC with a cool tag (i'll go design a concept...), like the sponsor tag..?)

Yeah -- stear clear of all shopping centres... and buy as from the smallest node as possible (though this isn''t always the most enviro frindly buying technique ta least your not supplying power to another big anchor in the economy)

-The XO has to be the most practical PC ever made....

Use it as...

A mulitmetre

A osciloscope etc

I WANT ONE!!!

any of you in the US get urselves an XO ? -- I would love one of them.
I got an OLPC X0-1 in late December 2007, as part of the “buy 2, get 1” deal launched to generate funds for some of the early distributions to its intended user community – children who can’t afford computers. I actually wanted to do the ‘buy 3, get 1” deal I first read about, but when I got around to it, not long before the offer expired, 2-for-1 was all that was offered.

Physically, it’s a beautiful machine, light yet solid and wonderfully easy to hold. It has a couple of cunning little thumbholes on either side of its handle, allow it to be grabbed and held in position from almost any angle, as well is held on to in what its makers call “curl up in bed mode”. In my big adult hands, it’s rather like a specialized e-book reader, or a really big palmtop. (memory and storage-wise, with 256MB ram and 1GB internal flash storage, it’s rather similar to a typical modern PalmOS device with an external flash card)

I was slightly disappointed that the XO-1 lacks the built-in crank charger of early models, and that the planned pull-cord charger isn’t available yet. While I understand the reasons given at this OLPC wiki page why this may be so, I’m concerned that the program isn’t addressing access to electricity issues as well as it should. Also, my experience has been that its battery life is considerably less than the published 11 hours or so, making an off-grid charging system of value even for N. Americans.

Although it’s neighborhood view is the most intuitive wifi connection managing interface I’ve ever seen, I’m underwhelmed by the rest of its GUI (Sugar, a variation of X/Matchbox). Coming from a “intuitive help doc is all-important” development background, I regret that a machine so easy to attach to the WWW doesn’t link everything in its little collection of standard image apps to lots of useful documentation. Its basic point and click actions aren’t very intuitive, but I suspect this is due to my intuition being long acclimated to the MSWindow and similar APIs, and that folk who grow up with Sugar will take to the basic paradigm without having to go through the same unlearning I am.

By virtue of its numbers and target deployment, I think the OLPC is a significant hardware platform, and have ambitions for it. A really good, popular activity on this box could reach a lot of people, and have profound significance. I plan to put some effort in this direction.

Yeah the hand crank thing and the Yoyo...

bit tacky. even for third world.... It's like the 1st wrld saying to the 3rd.. hey you wanna use a PC - your going to have to pump it up!...

, and besides, I think the XO project people soon realised that solar is going to get pretty darn cheap again, so it would actually be more economical to just supply some panels for the school/communities.

In the meantime, it's probably better to not regard the third world as un-resourced, it's not like they don't have electricity, they just can't afford it. And in most cases the XO's aren't going into the most arid of regions, they're going to average community schools, where the satelite internet link can be established (worst case scenario) - but in most cases, eg. Brazil, Cambodia normal ethernet ISPs are available, and therfore so is electricity.

The other thing about the charging stuff, is that it's easy to loose (sure the first hand crank model was cool - but expensive and sacrificed on other features) ,and that the XO isn't being overly distributed to the absolute poorest, incase of the risk of the black market starting up from the lowest ranks of society.... instead they are distributing to the median level of society to A. gain interest from those that 'may not' attend school, B.not start up the black market with those poorest of communities that could give a stuff less about a PC, and more about how to sell it...

...a prime example is when Mosquito Nets were given out for free in an African nation I have no idea of... instead of the mothers actually using them for thier intended purpose (as a protective barrier for their kids), they sold them as "accessory items"... apparently if cut up into smaller sections they make good madonna style moomoo's!

...It's like what Msoft said about the XO - great toy, but what we're making is actually more "real"... with a full OS on it.

So I say the XO's body and style is a great thing,,, it just needs more power to be able to run real OS's on it, for serious education. (ie to teach the kids how to use the OS's the west use... not just a stripped down toy front end)

-BUT! - on the other hand the XO is great beacuse you DON'T have to learn about using a typical western GUI -- the teacher and the kids can just get right into it, and if you have an avid geek kid that does want to go further, they may easily procure the ability of PC usage where they are compiling they're own software for the XO - because they aren't restricted by the GUI nature of OS's like Windows.

uhh

2008 is going to be an interesting year...

Quad cores and mutiprocessors.

Speach Rec getting better

Touch Screens getting cheaper

Solid State memory becoming the norm

Compact disc burners that backup hundreds of gigs. (blu ray)

LCD's cheap as chips

Normal Hardrives almost having no value (Terabytes are now available at affordable price - I dunno how much more harddrive space you need?)

I wreckon by the end of the year you may expect to see even your Wifi DSL modem having a touch screen on it and a couple of gig for a website or two, a microphone/speaker/handset for voip. And your portable computer loosing it's keyboard.

-I mean imagine if everyones Telephones were replaced by Voip's with WIfi access pionts, you roam around town with your XO or Eee or Ipod totally connected for free (if the average joe was kind enough to allow web connections to their access point)

-Things like telephone bills would be a thing of the past (although isp bills may just sky rocket)