Science Forums

Immigration

robnibg

I'm interested to find an immigrant friendly solution for the U.K. I have few ideas myself apart from allowing a permit for a set number of years. Does anyone know a good way of helping immigrants as much as possible yet not doing much damage to the economy? Thanks.:eek:

Many immigrants came from countries with less opportunity, lower wages and less social benefits. That is sort of what they are used to. The question of how to deal with immigrants is sort of analogous to millionaires wondering whether the middle class needs caviar. If they never had it, they don't really miss it. Many of these people have the guts to seek new homes, far away, to make it better for their families. Even with less than modern digs, they are better off compared to where they came from. It becomes relative when the "have too much", try to empathize with something that they know very little about.

A good exercise would be to have the concerned people tour the origins of many of the immigrants and then compare that, to how they have grown in status. Then you can offer help to make it a little better. One would not have to give the middle class a boat; a wide screen would be fine. It is sort of relative to what we think we would need, and not what they the immigrants need. Sometime all they need is an opportunity. They are people with a dream.

If you look at the immigrants of the turn of the 1900's, they got little or nothing in the way of modern conveniences. But each generation got better. All of a sudden, the modern immigrants somehow have gotten limp and lame? It comes down to people empathizing their own situation and not with the reality of people, already up several steps in life. I am not being means, but I made friends of several illegals in Florida in the construction. Many of them have started businesses and are old school not liking to beg. The modern fluff is for the genetically weak. This is good stock.