Science Forums

Forensic Science

forensics is my future

Hi,

I posted this in the introduction forum, and the social sciences forum but after browsing and conducting a search, I realized this may be the better place for my questions.

Thanks

I am currently a high school student who is interested in forensics. I have an interest in law and science which has influenced me to consider a career in forensics. I decided to join this forum in order to get advice. I will be applying to college next year and would like to know some info about what I should be looking at (schooling, etc.) for a career in forensics.

I know becoming a forensic pathologist would take about 11-12 years post high school, and am aware that this is an option (MD or DO route). What I am interested in finding out about is a PhD route. I am interested in doing forensic science for the courts, working in a lab etc.

My questions are:

What would a compectitive major be for applying to a graduate program in forensic science?

Do most graduate schools have a forensic science program? (PhD)

I would also like to add that I have a minor physical disability. I live 99% of a normal life; however, because of my disability I wear leg braces knee high, and walk with a small limp. I do not see my disability holding me back in a career in forensic science and am looking forward to my future.

Any info you guys have for me, I truely appreciate.

and please if I posted this in the wrong forum, I am sorry. Hopefully a moderator can move it to the appropiate forum.

(Sorry I have posted this in three different places)

Thanks again

Do you mean to be the fella/lady who autopsies people and weighs their liver and brain and what not looking for a cause of death? This, I think, is the 11-12 year (medical Doctor) forensics profession.

If you mean to be the C.S.I. forensics collection and analysis (fingerprints, DNA, blood splatter) kind of fella/lady then you don't need the 11-12 year medical Dr. degree. I think they have very specific programs for this kind of training that are 4 years or less. But, I'm sure a PhD would land you at the top of some major city's forensics department. Actually, I think the lead forensics guy in the OJ Simpson case was a PhD... what was his name... the guy who messed up the chain of custody of OJ's blood. I can't remember, but I do remember being in middle school at the time thinking that would be a cool job.

In either case- AP science, chemistry, biology and math ;)

good luck

-modest

Do you mean to be the fella/lady who autopsies people and weighs their liver and brain and what not looking for a cause of death? This, I think, is the 11-12 year (medical Doctor) forensics profession.

If you mean to be the C.S.I. forensics collection and analysis (fingerprints, DNA, blood splatter) kind of fella/lady then you don't need the 11-12 year medical Dr. degree. I think they have very specific programs for this kind of training that are 4 years or less. But, I'm sure a PhD would land you at the top of some major city's forensics department. Actually, I think the lead forensics guy in the OJ Simpson case was a PhD... what was his name... the guy who messed up the chain of custody of OJ's blood. I can't remember, but I do remember being in middle school at the time thinking that would be a cool job.

In either case- AP science, chemistry, biology and math :)

good luck

-modest

You are right modest. all you need is a 4-year degree in biotechnology. Biotech is the major area of forensics. But in order to get a job with any major agency you need lots of internships during those 4 years of college.

• 1 month later...
I am a final year student. i aminterested to know more about becoming a lab analyst. i knwo i will get bored with the job soon, esp if i have to check samples ALL DAY.

If you know you'll be bored with it, why not consider something else?

Will i be allowed to visit crime scenes if i am a lab analyst?

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine no.

Its not about being bored or interested. I am quite the monotonous type so boring will be fine with me. I have been interested in this field ever since i was 14! Its about how much cooler can the job profile get. Anyway thanks for the help. If u do find out more, do let me know

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember that doing forensics might not be as hot as it looks on CSI

You can always do a few courses on it before you decide on majoring in BioChem etc.. From what I know, you need quite good fundamentals in Chemistry, and its not always an exciting subject as you can see from Main Page - Chemistry.

You need chemistry because of you need to know why and how you are duplicating your DNA (PCR) or how dusting for fingerprints work!

• 1 month later...