Science Forums

Locked out from my own thread, Drugs and creativity...

cotner

This query is addressed to the forum management:

May I just have some answer to the question why I am being locked out from my own thread on Drugs and creativity.

Drugs and creativity

vBulletin Message

cotner, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Thanks for any explanation.

By the way the last time I had a chance to read the thread there was someone telling me to read the rules of the forum, hinting that I might be into prohibited matters.

Now I am looking for the rules, but can't find them.

cotner

So, I read the rules, and this is what I have read pertinent to my query:

http://hypography.com/forums/?page=rules

What kinds of topics are discussed here?

This is a forum for discussing science and technology. Basically, we welcome anything that falls within these realms. We like to consider ourselves open minded, but we do not like to see commercials, arrogant comments, or flames. Nor do we accept posts that are obvious attacks on other members, or which make other members appear needlessly stupid or ignorant. It is, however, okay to point out that you believe a member is in violation of our rules. You can also report posts to the administrators for review.

How should I behave?

Be yourself. But please respect these ground rules:

6. The explicit discussion of drugs in order to promote non-scientific experimentation of drugs, show people how to obtain or create drugs, or providing histories of drug use to show off, will lead to deletion of posts, and we will issue warnings.

No, I am not into and have no intention whatsoever "to promote non-scientific experimentation of drugs, show people how to obtain or create drugs, or providing histories of drug use to show off."

And I can't see how my words could be understood in those directions.

In any case since the forum management think otherwise, I will not argue, and I guess the warning has been issued as I got this message when trying to access the thread:

Drugs and creativity

vBulletin Message

cotner, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

"Further affiant sayeth naught." [ Except, hahahahaha! ]

cotner

Only explanation I can give you is that your thread has been deleted. I can find no thread by you with that title, nor can I find any post made by you in a thread with that name. I searched the forums for threads with the words Drugs and/or Creativity in them, and returned nothing.

The most probable reason is the very rule you quoted. Thanks to one who I shall not name, the staff is VERY edgy on topics regarding drugs (of any kind really). Sorry for the confusion.

The “Drugs and creativity” thread has temporarily been moved to a “hidden forum” that only mods and admins can view, where it’s being discussed.

While the thread started appropriately enough, with a sensible question concerning the possible effects of drugs (ie: can they enhance creativity), it rapidly got out of hand, with some posts that definitely crossed the line on the “no promoting non-scientific experimentation of drugs, etc.” rule.

There are some sensitive issues and personalities involved, so this may take a day or three for your dedicated moderation team to straighten out. Rest assured, cotner, your thread has not been deleted, only hidden for a while. Please stay tuned.

While the thread started appropriately enough, with a sensible question concerning the possible effects of drugs (ie: can they enhance creativity), it rapidly got out of hand, with some posts that definitely crossed the line on the “no promoting non-scientific experimentation of drugs, etc.” rule.

There are some sensitive issues and personalities involved, so this may take a day or three for your dedicated moderation team to straighten out.

There's a first time for everything, eh? :wave2:

I remember how much I cared about enforcing this particular issue when I was on the staff. It's funny now that I'm not. If I cared less right now, I'd probably hurt myself. :juggle:

Either 1) Enforce your rule without exception or 2) Change it. You made this rule specifically for jason and his ilk, and here we go again... He's a good kid, T won't ban him, and the staff get all twisted up because they're asked to enforce rules that the owner won't.

It'd be easiest to just create a drug forum. Put it next to Strange Claims or something, and hide it from the new posts and non-logged in users (guests). :thumbs_up

No, I am not into and have no intention whatsoever "to promote non-scientific experimentation of drugs, show people how to obtain or create drugs, or providing histories of drug use to show off."

And I can't see how my words could be understood in those directions.

I agree :thumbs_up but unfortunately some of the replies were unsuitable and it will prolly be hard to keep such a thread in line if we decide to clean it out and put it back.

Hmmm... That might also be why I couldn't find it. Masked the community admin forums from my view. :sherlock: Oh the powers of the developer.

Anyways, I think this more or less answers your question. The thread is under review for bordering dangerously to a rule breaker. One day it might reappear, or not. Clicky clicky closed! :googleit: