Science Forums

Dual boot and booting sequence

My PC was configured for dual boot, Win Me in C: and WinXP in D:. Somehow the XP got infected and the login screen does not allow me enter my username and password, in other words I am locked out. But, Win Me in C: was functional, so I upgraded it to WinXP.

Now thing appear OK, except for the fact, that the boot sequence is D: C:.

Thus the non functional XP is the default OS. It's a bit of pain!:lol:

Any solution?:hihi:

in your functional XP, go start / run and in the prompt type in msconfig

now a windows with configuration will appear, go over to boot.ini tab, that is the same as the boot.ini file in the root directory of your drive (aka c: or d: whatever), you will now see something that says [operating systems] and underneeth that, there will be 2 entries (possibly more). The top one for example will correspond to the top selection in your boot prompt, etc. Choose the right windows xp installation, move it up and set it to default (buttons for both)

If you feel courageous, you can edit the boot.ini file yourself...

Thanks alexander your tip was quite helpful, only you forgot to add to choose set to Default option. Once I did it, it is quite O.K.! :) BTW i opened the Boot.ini file too, but was a bit scared to edit it (I really do not want a dead system now)

No he didn't forget, look again. :shrug:

Anyhow, glad you got it working hall!