Science Forums

Mates rights and Gay rights

LaurieAG

Hi Cedars,

All of the next of kin rights. I have pointed out in other posts how families can and do ban the chosen partner from medical decisions all the way to denying them entry into the relatives room when end of life decisions are being made. Its not just HIV, its during car accidents and all of the other things that happen unexpectedly to people. Its contested wills. Its companionship value that is assigned to a chosen mate that is legally upheld by the courts when this piece of paper can be entered into evidence. It is proof that heterosexual couples have the option to present that is denied to homosexual couples simply based on the xx+xy=1 where xx+xx or xy+xy=0.

There are an endless list of things for people ending up as the black sheep of the family, even political opinions. Don't forget the reluctance of medically trained people to help anybody for fear of being sued.

Earlier you posted lesbian couples now have the right to Invitro. I have a question regarding that. Was this applied to single persons across the board and now lesbian couples have that right or was it only lesbian couples were denied this and single women could regardless of marital status/coupling? And do you know if both lesbians are listed on the birth cert as parents or only the mother?

I don't think that the right to InVitro was for individuals across the board but was only for females, heterosexual or lesbian, in partnerships. I'm not sure about the listing.

The argument against allowing equality for homosexual marriage is simply based on the majorities perception of right/wrong based on their own genetic drive.

However I can say this.... There is no condition (other than EXTREME desperation, which I have not experienced yet) where you will find me with a red head. Or an albino. I do not find these variations appealing on a sexual level. Never have. But I do not think red heads or albinos should be denied the ability to marry a partner who will have them. Its my bias on partner choice and thats the way it is.

Another bias I have. Obese people. I cannot imagine being sexually attracted to someone in an obese condition. I dont understand the "chubby chasers". But I am not in a position to deny obese persons the right of marriage.

And that is what this whole issue boils down to. A personal bias (whether genetic or not) that is depriving some people an option that has true and valuable weight in matters of law and rights for an individual/couple.

In ancient Rome the paterfamilias had power over life and death of subordinant family members and was considered to own anything given to an individual family member (patria potestas). I suppose this has moved more towards a more democratic model these days, and democracy is in essence the power of the majority. So, some things don't really change.

Finally, it's up to the law to determine the weight of individual rights and their checks and balances.