Science Forums

Vista XP dual boot

The triple boot is up and running, thanks to GRUB. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to accomplish much in Kubuntu. I can play audio, but I can't hear it (no driver). I can see my network connections, but there are none (no driver). Well, you get the idea...

I think I can get the linux-version wireless nic driver from realtek (do I need ndiswrapper?), but the audio might be tricky. When I select the sound in Kubuntu, it shows up as "ATI HDMI Device", which is odd because that was what I loaded onto XP and XP detects the soundcard on every boot, but then drags me to the ill-named "Configuration Wizard".

I was unsuccessful at using the lisys -v command within kubuntu. :shade:

Ok, I ran lspci after finally finding the Konsole and my results are attached. I had to print one screen at a time, so there are 4 .pdf, sequential of course.

A few questions arise. It says "Hypertransport: MSI Mapping". Does this mean the motherboard is an MSI? Or maybe just the hypertransport? Or maybe just the mapping, or maybe some other acronym entirely? ;)

It's showing my audio device as an ATI Radeon??? :)

And why does it say "-enable"?

Off to check out wine....

My laptop was sort of getting run down. It wouldn't take a Vista Upgrade without me changing the motherboard for one device. What I opted for, was an IMac with the new Leopard OS. This Apple OS allows one to install either Windows XP or Vista on a separate partition on the hard drive, with read-write capability between the two partitions. Leopard comes with a Windows boot camp application that walks you through it and installs all the drivers needed to allow Windows to use all the computers capabilities. The Leopard has the advantage of none of the 140,000 known viruses will affect it. There is no need for anti virus software. It does viruses in a different way.

;)

Yes, my brother continually raves about his mac and how much better it is. Here's a common debate we would have:

him: MACs are so much better, you just click on something and it works

me: I have the same experience on my PC

him: you can't tell me windows doesn't crash on you

me: Sure, it does from time to time, but I maintain it and it's very infrequent because of that

him: I don't have to maintain my computer, I don't have to worry about viruses

me: Ok, contently reside in your carefree world and when you want to run the coolest new game, don't come running to me because it won't play on mac

him: I just run parallels and I can run any windows program I want and switch between mac and xp seemlessly

me: pretty cool, but surely you have less resources available

him: no, windows runs faster on mac than on pc, look up the benchmarks

me: ok, I will, because I find it hard to believe that you get a faster speed running windows on a mac, through another OS

him: look it up...also, I have a lifetime warranty

me: I have a three year warranty, which is enough for me

him: how much did you pay for that warranty

me: $249

him: Ha! Macs come with it for free!

me: For free? How much did you pay for your iBook?

him: $1800

me: ha...I paid $850 and have a great computer for 3 years at least...by then I'll want to upgrade anyways

him: Dude, you don't understand

me: I understand perfectly well ;)

him: you're an idiot

Well, you get the point...:)

free, like seriously lspci would have done, and text into post would be fine.... since you can select and copy to and from console, in fact select content and then middle click where you want it pasted (yes no need to copy or paste in this instance, just select and middle click)

also your brother is trying to portray a point you just wont get until you get linux on your machine or a mac.

first of all, windows does have better bench marks on a mac on similar hardware, but only if you dual boot it, reason for that being that macs dont use a normal BIOS, read into EFI.

you dont have the same experience on a PC as you have on mac, starting from UI, that is actually user-centric, ending with registry, thats right, WHAT REGISTRY? And another thing uptime, my mac has been up for 3 months, even though i constantly carry it around, windows laptops are rebooted like once a month, or any time you install software, hardware or update? and that is just st00pid

he does not have a lifetime warrantee, while yes apple with stand behind their product, no they wont fix it for free for life, at least no all of it.

yes expensive hardware, but good hardware at that, and one, you never need to reinstall and two even if you do, you dont have to scwer around and find drivers for your stock hardware.... ever!

and just like he said, you just don't understand.

and as far as gaming goes, work and gaming should not be combined, so one needs to have a machine that just works all the time, and another one that is there for playing around with, and at that.

free, like seriously lspci would have done, and text into post would be fine.... since you can select and copy to and from console, in fact select content and then middle click where you want it pasted (yes no need to copy or paste in this instance, just select and middle click)

Yeah, it was a roundabout way. B)

also your brother is trying to portray a point you just wont get until you get linux on your machine or a mac.

I have Linux on my machine now, remember. Also, I've used Macs and I've never had any complaints, but I've never really delved under the hood because when I was tinkering with one, I couldn't find a hood. If macs were the same price as PC, then I'd consider them. As it is right now, I can't justify, neigh afford one.

first of all, windows does have better bench marks on a mac on similar hardware, but only if you dual boot it, reason for that being that macs dont use a normal BIOS, read into EFI.

Ok, I can see in a dual boot situation, but he was making the claim from within parallels which seems far fetched to me. I'll read up on EFI.

you dont have the same experience on a PC as you have on mac, starting from UI, that is actually user-centric, ending with registry, thats right, WHAT REGISTRY? And another thing uptime, my mac has been up for 3 months, even though i constantly carry it around, windows laptops are rebooted like once a month, or any time you install software, hardware or update? and that is just st00pidp

For all the faults of the registry, I love the tweakability. I do agree it needs an overhaul though. Rebooting doesn't bother me because I have to do it all the time to switch between OS's anyways. Also, I have issues with leaving computers on all the time as it's a waste of power, so that wouldn't really be a benefit for me.

he does not have a lifetime warrantee, while yes apple with stand behind their product, no they wont fix it for free for life, at least no all of it.

He claimed that he could take it in 15 years from now and they'd fix it for free. So what exactly is their policy?

yes expensive hardware, but good hardware at that, and one, you never need to reinstall and two even if you do, you dont have to scwer around and find drivers for your stock hardware.... ever!

You don't have to screw around and find drivers because there is a relatively limited set of hardware supported. Windows supports just about any hardware out there, and with so many vendors and updates, it would be impossible to include them all in the install. And good hardware does not have to be expensive. My ASUS board in my desktop is ROCK solid and cost me about $130 two years ago. How much would it cost to replace a mac board? How about a CPU, oh wait, they use the same as PCs. :D

and just like he said, you just don't understand.

And like I said, I understand perfectly well. My problem is not with the system. My problem is the price and the fact that it seems way overpriced for what it offers.

and as far as gaming goes, work and gaming should not be combined, so one needs to have a machine that just works all the time, and another one that is there for playing around with, and at that.

Well, I don't game, but I do have a dedicated music computer that stays off the net and is streamlined for music only (no printing service, background processes priority, etc.), so I agree to a point. I still do music on my laptop, but it's more for hashing out ideas or working on the road. I don't have any problem having that machine as my all-in-one system. :thumbs_up

But, my intentions were not to start a mac vs. pc war, that's old hat.

I would like to get Linux up and running. My two biggest issues right now are getting my wireless nic running and getting drivers loaded for my usb devices (flash drives, camera, mp3 player, etc.). I found this site, but it reads like latin for me right now. What is a repository, and how do I add a universe to it? (that sounded funny :phones: )

[Please advise if I should start a new thread at this point, or point me to a good helpful site where a newbie won't be flamed]

For all the faults of the registry, I love the tweakability.
dont even get me started on the registry.... tweakability totally blows comared to a real OS, such as Linux, and i'll leave it at that.

Also, I have issues with leaving computers on all the time as it's a waste of power, so that wouldn't really be a benefit for me.

lol, i have an issue shutting down/rebooting computers.... especially servers... especially at work.... and at home....

He claimed that he could take it in 15 years from now and they'd fix it for free. So what exactly is their policy?
generally, only ceratin parts of the machine, but if you had memory die or a cracked screen, lets just say that you are probably better off getting a new mac if your apple care is expired.... (3 years, you should be getting a newer machine anyways)

You don't have to screw around and find drivers because there is a relatively limited set of hardware supported. Windows supports just about any hardware out there, and with so many vendors and updates, it would be impossible to include them all in the install.

Bold statement, didn't you just install ubuntu? But for mac, yes, absolutely true, that is why they stay so proprietary with their hardware... it's not however a minus...

And on a mac, it would not cost you a dime to replace that board... because that's one of those for life things...

And like I said, I understand perfectly well. My problem is not with the system. My problem is the price and the fact that it seems way overpriced for what it offers.

I dunno if there is such a term as overprice for things like usability, security and stability...?

LOL, ubuntu is built around APT, which is an excellent package manager based on bsd ports. Basically a repository is a server that stores packages, together with a package list, every time you install a program through synaptic package manager, you download the new repositories which in turn allow you to install, update software. what they mean by turning on repositories is adding the repositories, is adding a server to the list of server your computer downloads the package lists from. I would write a howto, but all hail the Linux community, so https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

:turtle:

dont even get me started on the registry.... tweakability totally blows comared to a real OS, such as Linux, and i'll leave it at that.

hehe...I knew that one would set you off :turtle:

lol, i have an issue shutting down/rebooting computers.... especially servers... especially at work.... and at home....

Servers, I completely understand, but why do you hate shutting down a "play" computer?

Bold statement, didn't you just install ubuntu?

Yep, but I'm afraid I'm missing your point

But for mac, yes, absolutely true, that is why they stay so proprietary with their hardware... it's not however a minus...

I think I see what you're saying, their hardware is so good, you don't need to worry about getting other hardware. But what about peripherals?

And on a mac, it would not cost you a dime to replace that board... because that's one of those for life things...

That is very cool I'll admit.

I dunno if there is such a term as overprice for things like usability, security and stability...?

I'll give you security, and I'd probably give you stability as well, but usability is completely objective imo. I suppose if you consider just the initial settings, macs are definitely more usable out of the box, but windows is tweakable more than a lot of people know (not you of course, I'm referring to the average joe). I find it very usable and the enormous amounts of software available for it are a definite plus in my book, especially concerning music production.

But you're right, overpriced was a bad term, I'll just leave it at pricey.

LOL, ubuntu is built around APT, which is an excellent package manager based on bsd ports. Basically a repository is a server that stores packages, together with a package list, every time you install a program through synaptic package manager, you download the new repositories which in turn allow you to install, update software. what they mean by turning on repositories is adding the repositories, is adding a server to the list of server your computer downloads the package lists from. I would write a howto, but all hail the Linux community, so https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Thank you! It looks like I have a lot of reading to do...:eek_big:

emmk, so on your hardware....

as far as i can see, and i dont have time right now, your nic is supported by the linux kernel, if you lsmod, you should see the r8169 module loaded (it should say r8169 as one of the lines), if you are having netowork problems it may be due to the module not loading, so if you modprobe r8169, it should work (i'll make sure the module is a part of the kernel later, but it should be...)

as far as your board, you laugh at the fact that it says ATI, even though you have a card made by some other company, the PCI utility does not lie however and it's very possible that your card may have an ati chipset in it (linux supports a lot more hardware then windows because the drivers are written for chip sets vs individual cards)

gotta run home pick up my newly arrived Firewall and then run to class :turtle: (Yoggie Gatekeeper Pro)

emmk,

emmk? :turtle:

as far as i can see, and i dont have time right now, your nic is supported by the linux kernel, if you lsmod, you should see the r8169 module loaded (it should say r8169 as one of the lines), if you are having netowork problems it may be due to the module not loading, so if you modprobe r8169, it should work (i'll make sure the module is a part of the kernel later, but it should be...)

ok, I'll give that a try.

as far as your board, you laugh at the fact that it says ATI, even though you have a card made by some other company, the PCI utility does not lie however and it's very possible that your card may have an ati chipset in it (linux supports a lot more hardware then windows because the drivers are written for chip sets vs individual cards)

Actually, now that you say that, it mentions "high definition audio" as one of the features, and my computer has HDMI, so that makes sense. I bet the HD audio part is connected to the HDMI, as is the graphics, hence both being designed by ATI. What I don't understand, if this is indeed the case, is why lspci did not list the main audio chipset as well. The problem is that ATI makes no mention of audio whatsoever on their website, so my only hope is that loading the ATI 1270x drivers will load the audio as well, but I'm skeptical.

gotta run home pick up my newly arrived Firewall and then run to class :eek_big: (Yoggie Gatekeeper Pro)

Thanks for taking the time Alex, I appreciate it. вы снова

Yoggie looks awesome, let me know how it works out for you.