Science Forums

Cloning survey

I'm doing a cloning survey for school and if people can post their answers here, it'd be really helpful.

1. Do you agree that cloning of animals should be made legal? Yes or no

2. Should the government spend more taxpayer’s money on research and refining cloning techniques? Yes or no

3. Do you think that we should allow private companies to conduct research on the cloning of animals? Yes or no

4. Would you eat any product which has been obtained from a cloned animal? If yes why? If no, then why?

5. Do you agree that the cloning of animals, if made legal is going to benefit society? If yes, describe the benefits/advantages. If no, then why not?

6. Do you agree that the cloning of animals allowed in other countries would disadvantage Australian/your country's companies? If yes, why? If no, then why?

1. Do you agree that cloning of animals should be made legal? Yes or no
Yes. More precisely, I believe it should remain legal, as in countries with major biotech industries such as the US and the UK, it is currently legal.
2. Should the government spend more taxpayer’s money on research and refining cloning techniques? Yes or no
Yes and no, depending on the potential public vs. private benefit of the research. For example, where substantial public benefit may result, such as in lowering the cost of drugs produced by transgenetic animals, I favor government funding. Where the benefit is to private businesses, such as livestock producers, I do not.
3. Do you think that we should allow private companies to conduct research on the cloning of animals? Yes or no
Yes.
4. Would you eat any product which has been obtained from a cloned animal? If yes why? If no, then why?
Yes. Not only would I, I currently do. For example, I enjoy yogurt, which depends on the presence of bacteria, which are clones.

I don’t eat much large animal meat, so the question’s not very applicable to me, but if I did, I’d have on objection if the animal was a clone

5. Do you agree that the cloning of animals, if made legal is going to benefit society? If yes, describe the benefits/advantages. If no, then why not?
As noted above, if the cloning of animals remains legal in my country of residence, I think that yes, it will benefit society, and moreover already has.
6. Do you agree that the cloning of animals allowed in other countries would disadvantage Australian/your country's companies? If yes, why? If no, then why?
No, I don’t believe animal cloning in countries other than mine being legal would disadvantage companies in my country. Other country’s illegalizing them would, I believe, disadvantage companies that intend to export cloned animals or cloning techniques.

• 2 months later...

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

4. yes, there has not been any proof that eating such an anmal could do harm.

5. Yes, the benifits could simply be more easily attained food for the world from the best possible sources, or they could be as big as having new medicines.

6. I do not live in Austraila, but it would seem that if other country's companies had an advantage, it could have a negitive effect on Australian companies.

I agree with CraigD

We eat cloned vegetables & fruit now; have for hundreds of years.

And look at how we have mucked about with the DNA of wheat.

In fact a cloned animal will never be totally exact copy of another.

How the fetus is grown will influence its eventual gene expression.

There have been some doggy research on cloning. Dolly's Mum died and so how could you know she was genetically the same as her mum?

A Korean scientist was exposed as a fraud when he announced he had cloned an Afghan Hound (Having had Afghans; Why?) more dogy research?:)