Science Forums

Belated Introduction

pgrmdave

Hello all, My name is Dave (if you didn't already guess). I live in Northern New Jersey, about fourty five minutes from New York City. I'm 18, and I'm going to the local community college and working in a supermarket deli. I was lucky that my high school was one of the few in NJ to have a planetarium and I was able to take two classes in there. I don't have much schooling in most of the topics here, so many of my posts come from what little I've learned on my own. To quote Tinny "I don't know much". If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, or post the question here.

Well, I've been programming simple things in qbasic since I was in fourth grade, and when I got into high school, I programmed on my TI-83+ graphing calculator so often that people who I didn't know would come to me for help writing a program. On the calculator, every program is stored as pgrm[program name]. I hope to program games for a living when I get out of school, and it comes partially from religious musings - viewing god as a programmer, and we are all simply programs he's written.

... viewing god as a programmer, and we are all simply programs he's written.

I got that picture from your other posts. I even follow what you mean by that. :rant:

Glad to meet you. It has already been fun chatting. Even though my original education

has been Astrophysics/Physics, my career has been designing/programming/managing

projects and systems. :hihi:

Maddog

• 2 weeks later...

Well Dave, I must say I wouldn't have guessed your age. I program in an extint version of Basic called "Turbo Basic". It was a Borland Product & I think I got it in '94 or so. It is a compiled Basic & not assembled & gives an EXE file at a single keystroke. It also allowed you to break the 64K code barrier other Basics had/have. Ten years ago in a house fire I had, the manual burned up ;) . They don't even give you Basic with Windows anymore do they?

• 3 months later...

I don't think so, but I think my Grandpa uses Q-Basic (I think that's the name) for something or other on his Windows computer. I think he put it on himself after buying the software at a "swap-meet" though.

Swap meet (as defined by Dark Mind) - A place for meeting new people and making friends, and buying or selling miscellaneous products; a large collection of garage sales.