Science Forums

Bacteria Cultivation

Micro-biology Scholar

I am currently testing the evolutionary-time elapse process of bacteria.

This is currently being done by introducing a particular bacteria like Bacillius with a bacteria mod. like Penicillium notatum. Obvious the Penicillium notatum will kill a large amount of the Bacillius bacteria.

So we introduce constantly large amounts of Bacillius bacteria untill the Bacillius bacteria adopts characteristics of the Penicillium notatum.

This apporach has earned me 25,000 dollars.

Dose anyone have any question on the information I have provided.

• 3 weeks later...
i don't know you, so please don't think i am disrespecting you or your profession. but is this not possibly extremely dangerous? are yu capable of completely destroying the results when you are finished? wouldn't want something funky growing in the dumpster....

Yes, It is feasible to contaminate the environment with destructive bacteria.

Fortunately, I have acquired a means to control feasible contamination.

i don't know you, so please don't think i am disrespecting you or your profession. but is this not possibly extremely dangerous? are yu capable of completely destroying the results when you are finished? wouldn't want something funky growing in the dumpster....

Ganoderma, I must say that these sort of experiments are done all the time in microbiology labs... for years.

In the lab I work in as a student laboratory assistant we deal with Staphylococcus aureus. You may have heard of this species of bacteria before. It is associated with skin infections in hospital settings, and is called MRSA (methicillum resistant Staphylococcus aureus) MRSA is an example of what you are worried is going to happen... fortunately though, all microbiology students (like me) and obviously the researchers are trained in how to handle microbes.

Although my lab is purposely trying to select for strains of Staphylococcus aureus that are resistant to certain antibiotics, there is obvious caution used to control them. The purpose for doing this sort of research, at least in context of my lab, is to attempt to find different ways of preventing the antibiotic resistant bacteria from surviving.

Basically, we select for an antibiotic resistant colony of bacteria, continue to culture it and conduct other experiments on it to study what stunts its growth or kills it and understand why it happened... it's all a very long process to better under the processes bacteria use to survive.

If we understand what mechanisms they use to survive antibiotics, we can develop ways to shut down those mechanisms and prevent them from causing real-life issues outside of a controlled laboratory setting.

Ganoderma, I must say that these sort of experiments are done all the time in microbiology labs... for years.

In the lab I work in as a student laboratory assistant we deal with Staphylococcus aureus. You may have heard of this species of bacteria before. It is associated with skin infections in hospital settings, and is called MRSA (methicillum resistant Staphylococcus aureus) MRSA is an example of what you are worried is going to happen... fortunately though, all microbiology students (like me) and obviously the researchers are trained in how to handle microbes.

Although my lab is purposely trying to select for strains of Staphylococcus aureus that are resistant to certain antibiotics, there is obvious caution used to control them. The purpose for doing this sort of research, at least in context of my lab, is to attempt to find different ways of preventing the antibiotic resistant bacteria from surviving.

Basically, we select for an antibiotic resistant colony of bacteria, continue to culture it and conduct other experiments on it to study what stunts its growth or kills it and understand why it happened... it's all a very long process to better under the processes bacteria use to survive.

If we understand what mechanisms they use to survive antibiotics, we can develop ways to shut down those mechanisms and prevent them from causing real-life issues outside of a controlled laboratory setting.

well said.:turtle:

• 4 weeks later...
I am currently testing the evolutionary-time elapse process of bacteria.

So we introduce constantly large amounts of Bacillius bacteria untill the Bacillius bacteria adopts characteristics of the Penicillium notatum.

This apporach has earned me 25,000 dollars.

Dose anyone have any question on the information I have provided.

Do the Bacilli adapt to Pencillium(fungal organism) secreted toxins (antibiotics) or adopt the characterisitics of Pencillium notatum????

Do the Bacilli adapt to Pencillium(fungal organism) secreted toxins (antibiotics) or adopt the characterisitics of Pencillium notatum????

Adopt the characteristics of Pencillium notatum. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in producing an experiment in which Bacilli adapt to pencillium secreted toxins-even though this is my prime objective.

How do you know that they adopt (Not even adapt to) the charecteristics of Penicillium?

Bacilli refers to a bacteria (prokaryotic) while penicillium notatum is fungal(Eukaryotic). In effect penicillium notatun should secrete chemicals that attack the prokaryotic system. (I think) In effect, then, te bacilli must become more eukaryotic in charecter. For which nature, BTW, took a long amount of time.

I suppose that that the bacteria would (along the course of it's mutation assisted evolution) begin secrete chemicals that destroy penicillium secreted toxins.

How do you know that they adopt (Not even adapt to) the charecteristics of Penicillium?

Bacilli refers to a bacteria (prokaryotic) while penicillium notatum is fungal(Eukaryotic). In effect penicillium notatun should secrete chemicals that attack the prokaryotic system. (I think) In effect, then, te bacilli must become more eukaryotic in charecter. For which nature, BTW, took a long amount of time.

I suppose that that the bacteria would (along the course of it's mutation assisted evolution) begin secrete chemicals that destroy penicillium secreted toxins.

Your reasoning is that of a chemist, but mix in some intuition and I promise you will find what you need to know. Give it another shot, you were close.:dog:

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarak

Adopt the characteristics of Pencillium notatum. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in producing an experiment in which Bacilli adapt to pencillium secreted toxins-even though this is my prime objective.

Presumably when the Bacilli adopt the characteristis of the penicillium this is an adaptation acquired as a result of the selection pressure of the hostile secretions of the penicillium; but what is the nature of the characteristics they are adopting? Are they surfaces that protect against the toxins, or are they releasing their own toxins to attack the penicillium or prevent the penicillium from releasing its toxins?

Your reasoning is that of a chemist, but mix in some intuition and I promise you will find what you need to know. Give it another shot, you were close.:)

Actually, I was asserting that the bacteria should probably adapt to the chemicals of the fungus, not adopt the charecters of it.

Would you be more specific on what exactly your findings were? How exactly did the bacteria adopt the charecters of the fungi?

If you ask me, one possible case is that the bacteria secretes some chemicals that the fungus uses to protect itself from the antibiotics it produces.

The reason this possibility dissatisfies me is because I happen to be aware that most antibiotics attack the prokaryotic system only. As such, the fungus probably does not need to protect itself.

So, What exactly did you find out?

Actually, I was asserting that the bacteria should probably adapt to the chemicals of the fungus, not adopt the charecters of it.

Would you be more specific on what exactly your findings were? How exactly did the bacteria adopt the charecters of the fungi?

If you ask me, one possible case is that the bacteria secretes some chemicals that the fungus uses to protect itself from the antibiotics it produces.

The reason this possibility dissatisfies me is because I happen to be aware that most antibiotics attack the prokaryotic system only. As such, the fungus probably does not need to protect itself.

You have misunderstood what I have provided.

Furthermore, you only know what you have been told-knowing that you are not a scientist allows me room to assert that you adhor anything that would abase what you have been told. Experiment with things, for they are not always as they are told to those who have no use for them.

My findings are not enigmatic nor elusive. They can be acquired through measures of reason. Please, confront your own judgement, before you challenge mine.

Originally Posted by ronthepon

You have misunderstood what I have provided.

Furthermore, you only know what you have been told-knowing that you are not a scientist allows me room to assert that you adhor anything that would abase what you have been told. Experiment with things, for they are not always as they are told to those who have no use for them.

My findings are not enigmatic nor elusive. They can be acquired through measures of reason. Please, confront your own judgement, before you challenge mine.

While I am not Ron and have no intention of being his "bodyguard", I do find your response to his post a little arrogant.

Ron posed some good questions which you completely ignored with dismissive elitist language. If Ron is mistaken in his assumptions, then would it not be most helpful to point out where he is mistaken and offer some validity in its place?

Furthermore, I see no where in Ron's post where he has "challenged your judgement". He asked what exactly you have found out from your experimental results. It is a valid question, and I am interested in the answer as well.