Science Forums

Detox beer?

Queso

Does beer have any detoxifying properties?

Whenever I drink too much beer I wake up in the morning feeling...cleansed. Which is strange. I'm even motivated and usually end up cleaning my room or dancing or something.

Most days I just lie around wishing I was still dreaming groaning and stretching and moaning and um yes

does it? Or is this some other mysterious chemical reaction?

:hihi:

Have a pleasant friday, everybody. Tis the day of the overtone human :evil:

Does beer have any detoxifying properties?

No. At least, none that seem conceivable. In fact, it puts pretty significant stress on your liver and kidneys, and has a strong toxin known as cobalt. I love beer, though, and am just addressing your question. I'm confident that beer has many positive effects, however, detoxification is not likely one of them.

Whenever I drink too much beer I wake up in the morning feeling...cleansed. Which is strange. I'm even motivated and usually end up cleaning my room or dancing or something.

In all honesty, this most likely has psychological reasons. To place the reason for your actions completely on the beer would not be accurate. Basically, it's you who decides to get up and clean or dance, whether you realize it or not, and the only effect the beer has is that it changed your mental state the night before. Or, if you drank a lot, you may still be slightly drunk, just slightly drunk AND rested. Regardless, it's YOUR mental state that is responsible for how you feel and what you do.

Most days I just lie around wishing I was still dreaming groaning and stretching and moaning and um yes

Sorry mate. Sounds rough. You probably have done so already topically, but you should check out Mike's depression thread with a greater eye for detail. Do you often feel like you're moving in slow motion and stimuli seem dull? :)

Or is this some other mysterious chemical reaction?

Anti-inflammatory Effect Of Beer, Blocks Interferon-gamma-induced Chemical Processes

Scientists at Innsbruck Medical University have succeeded in demonstrating the anti-inflammatory effect of beer extracts. In vitro experiments conducted at the Division of Biological Chemistry at the Innsbruck Biocenter by Prof. Dietmar Fuchs and his team on peripheral mononuclear blood cells show that beer extracts block interferon-gamma-induced chemical processes.

Interferon-gamma is one of the most important messengers in inflammatory response and is mainly produced as part of the cellular immune response. Beer extracts inhibit, among other things, the production of neopterin and the degradation of tryptophan by suppressing T-cell response. This suppression might be connected with the calming effect of beer since its normalising effect on the tryptophan balance improves the availability of the "happiness hormone" serotonin.

Have a pleasant friday, everybody. Tis the day of the overtone human :cup:

Thanks. :hihi: But, it's always right now, no matter what day it is.

Beer is quite a healthy drink, so is wine. Just don't exaggerate!

Beer and Your Health

No. At least, none that seem conceivable. In fact, it puts pretty significant stress on your liver and kidneys, and has a strong toxin known as cobalt.
Errr...

ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Cobalt

In the 1960s, some breweries added cobalt salts to beer to stabilize the foam (resulting in exposures of 0.04-0.14 mg cobalt/kg). Some people who drank excessive amounts of beer (8-25 pints/day) experienced serious effects on the heart. In some cases, these effects resulted in death. Nausea and vomiting were usually reported before the effects on the heart were noticed. Cobalt is no longer added to beer so you will not be exposed from this source. The effects on the heart, however, may have also been due to the fact that the beer-drinkers had protein-poor diets and may have already had heart damage from alcohol abuse.
...and, from 1965:

ProBrewer.com: Determination of cobalt in beer

Beer is quite a healthy drink, so is wine. Just don't exaggerate!

Thanks for the clarification on cobalt. I was clearly working from outdated knowledge. :D

I did try to cover some of this "beer is clearly not all bad" stuff when I stated:

I'm confident that beer has many positive effects, however, detoxification is not likely one of them.