Science Forums

Stale Cigarettes

I smoke Benson & hedges I buy them from a res in idaho. Anyhow sometimes the shop I buy them from is out and I have to a look for different shop .I usually get cartons of stale cigarettes. It pisses me off I have cartons of cigs that I have thrown away because they are stale. Anybody else experience this with there cigarettes? Or am I too finicky? I never heard of anyone else I know that knows the taste difference from fresh and stale cigs but also when there stale seems to be if you have a soft pack if you squeeze it and it feels like crackers crunching there stale. Too me stale cigs taste terrible.

Stale anything tends to taste bad. Anyway, I'm a cigar smoker (not the swisher sweets or black and milds, but real cigars). Gave up cigarettes long ago. Too chemically...

So, uhh... how is this medical science? Maybe a mod can move to the watercooler?

Also, did you have a point of discussion you wanted to address, or were you just curious if any other Hypography members had ever noticed staleness in their tobacco? :turtle:

Don't throw them away!

'Staleness' in cigarettes is merely 'dryness' of the tobacco, meaning that the plastic wrapping around the package somehow had a leak. The moisture content of tobacco is one of the most important factors in determining 'smokability' and 'taste'.

I used to have the same problem with my pipe tobacco. If'n you open a pack of pipe tabaccy, it'll be useless within a few days...unless...

Here's a bit of ol' timey tabaccy wisdom which have worked wonders for me over the years, and have saved me from throwin' away packets of perfectly good Holland Sweet. Take your stale pack of cigarettes, and take the plastic off. Open the lid so that the filter stubs stick out. Put this pack in a plastic bag, together with fresh potato peels. Don't let them touch, however. I kid you not. The potato peels moistens the air in the plastic bag, which is taken up hygroscopically by the tobacco in your cigarettes. Nett result, the next morning, your cigarettes will be perfectly fine again, and not 'stale'.

I suppose you can do this with a whole carton at once. You'll just have to figure out how many potato peels you'll need.

But the best advice, of course, is to quit smoking and eat your greens.