Science Forums

AP Chemistry Exam

It's not necessarily true that you NEED to have a class to pass an AP exam. I didn't have a class for the calculus BC exam and I got a five. Basically I just borrowed a calculus book from my teacher and taught myself, with a little help from him, but not much. I suppose if you want to pass an exam all you need is motivation, a passion for learning, and wee bit more intelligence than your average person.

As for the AB subscore, I've heard that it actually really doesn't matter. If you don't get a passing main score for the university, they usually discard the entire test altogether and give you no credit, regardless of your subscore.

Apparently the BC in "Calculus BC" is somewhat of a metaphor. AB is suppose to be new material, covered in a year-long high school course, and BC can be explained where "B" is a first semester review of all the material of covered in AB and "C" is all the new material covered. I guess calling it Calculus I and Calculus II would be far too easy.