Science Forums

Fats

Jay-qu

Another interesting factor is how your body naturally adapts to your diet in order to do whats "best" for itself. Even if it goes against what you want to achieve with your body.

when you diet (lets say, a low carb diet), your body needs about 2 weeks to notice and adapt accordingly. You will stop loosing weight at such a rapid rate unless you change your diet again. In a way, you need to throw your body off, in order to keep a high metabolism going.

so if your doing good on your diet, and you pig out or eat unhealthy for 1 day out of the week, you may not be doing as much bad as you think. If anything, it might "throw off" the body a little. and keep fat burning at a good speed.

fitness experts say its very important to follow a routine of:

2 weeks of high calorie eating, 2 weeks of low calorie and 1 week of low carb eating. (atleast for guys trying to achieve a "body building" type of shape.)

I just want the truth Grib and to know whats best for you body. I know now that not in all cases are saturated fats the bad ones and likewise unsaturated fats arent always the good ones.

:irked: You make this all sound so ridiculously vague! I have no idea what you're asking or what you want to know. We've already established that Trans fats, Interesterified fats, and Saturated fats are bad, whereas as Mono-Unsaturates/Polyunsaturates are good, so what do you want to know?:P

I'll assume that you want to know specifically what proportions of your diet each fat should contribute. :)

Saturated fats should not take up more than 10% of total calories. For someone of your age, Jay, consuming around 4000 calories per day (ideally), that would equate to 44 grams of saturated fats.

Can I just ask, have you ever tried using orange juice as opposed to butter/tropical oils (coconut and palm) to prevent food from sticking? That's one way to cut down. Obviously, use non-stick pans as well. Eat yohgurts as opposed to other dairy products. Eat foods higher in protein and lower in fat, because protein reach foods are quicker to satisfy appetite than fatty foods. Avoid hydrogenated oils (read the label), as these are crap. Furthermore, this is (at present) the only way in which to gain an insight into trans fat content. Avoid trans fats entirely, which are mostly found in vegetable shortening, margarine, French fries, and many processed foods.

Modified starches, dextrin, cellulose and gums are combined with water and are used as substitiutes for oils. Look for foods which do this.

:)

We've already established that Trans fats, Interesterified fats, and Saturated fats are bad, whereas as Mono-Unsaturates/Polyunsaturates are good, so what do you want to know?:P

When did that happen, the main part of the article I posted and hence discussion was about an upheaval of the regular beliefs.

Im not been vague grib, just simple. I simply want to know whats best for your body and while I thankyou for your enthusiasm I dont think its something anyone can answer just yet.

Im in no need of cutting down my calorie intake, its nothing to do with that.

You state these facts, but without any science behind it I my skeptic mind just ignores it :irked:

When did that happen, the main part of the article I posted and hence discussion was about an upheaval of the regular beliefs.

Erm....I meant the bit I posted about Interesterified fats...:xparty:

You state these facts, but without any science behind it I my skeptic mind just ignores it

I'm only joking, mate...:) :D (but you do make this all sound ever so mystical:D ;) )

I simply want to know whats best for your body and while I thankyou for your enthusiasm I dont think its something anyone can answer just yet.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Can I just say that the author's to that article, the supposed "myth-buster", have missed several absolutely crucial points.

They point tot examples o certain ethnic groups who consume large quantites of animal fats in their diets, such as the Yemeni Jews, the Masai, the inhabitants of Crete, the Eskimos and people of northern India etc.

The Masai have large quantities of Saponins in their diet, which bind to Cholestorol and prevent it from being absorbed in the blood.

The Japanese and Chinese mentioned in the article have high levels of Gynostemma pentaphyllum, (also called Jiaogulan) and Eleutherococcus senticosus in their diet. (Another couple of Saponins)

The mediteranneans have Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) in their diet.

The Indians have a fair amount of Amaranthus, (collectively known as amaranth or pigweed) in their diet.

I'll look further when I get home, I've got to go now....sorry about any typo's....need to run...:xparty:

See you!:hyper:

This is very interesting, but also very confusing! :xparty:

I don't know anymore which fats to eat (and in what quantities) and which to avoid.

Maybe I should just mention that I am a vegetarian, and my cholesterol level is sky high! I do consume very small quantities of milk and eggs though. I'm supposed to be on medication to lower my cholesterol, but for various reasons I'm not taking the medication.

Maybe I should just mention that I am a vegetarian, and my cholesterol level is sky high! I do consume very small quantities of milk and eggs though. I'm supposed to be on medication to lower my cholesterol, but for various reasons I'm not taking the medication.

People tend to go on a vegetarian diet to lower their cholesterol, but if you're already a vegetarian and you still have high cholesterol, and your consumption of milk and eggs is small, then perhaps you're consuming too much hydrogenated vegetable oil, or it's a genetic problem.

That said, a vegan still may have high cholesterol if the liver produces too much cholesterol. What stimulates the liver to produce cholesterol? Cholesterol production is a complex process, driven by genetics, diet, and other factors. One of the dietary factors that appears to stimulate cholesterol production is high intakes of saturated and trans fats (the types of fats found in hydrogenated oils). In that way, eating a lot of hydrogenated vegetable oils may cause the liver to overproduce cholesterol

Vegan Nutrition with Dina Aronson, R.D.

Some info on Familial hypercholesterolaemia:

Cholesterol - genetic factors - Better Health Channel.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

favcinating posts

Mmm... highly marbled kobe beef steak cooked in european style butter and topped with blue cheese... mmmm.... with a side of garlic mashed potatoes with more butter and heavy cream... mmmm.... and a nice chocolate stout... mmmm... and pears with triple-cream brie for desert..

I think I just had a heart attack, but I'm smiling all the same.

I had a heart attack just reading it.:)

I have been wondering of late weather to give up margarine -full of all sorts of strange crap- and go back to, the much maligned, butter.

Arn't fats 'sticky' and hence stick the the walls of blood vessels?

This would tie in with gribbon's observations about saponin containing herbs. How the saponins get in the blood stream is a moot point.

Ginseng is another herb that is supposed to help artery/blood vessel health and hence male potency and longevity.

Liquorice also contains a lot of saponins. Ginseng and liquorice would be the two top herbs prescribed in TCM.

TCM seems mainly to focus on "logevity"

gribbon another herb being studied in the Mediterranean diet is saffron. A herb rarely used in other areas.

On trans fats

Trans Fats Down In Many Snack Products, But Some Cheaper Snacks Still Have Significant Amounts

ScienceDaily (Feb. 4, 2008) — According to researchers at the University of Minnesota, the food industry has made progress in reducing the trans fat content in its products since a 2003 labeling mandate by the Food and Drug Administration, but consumers should still read labels to be certain the products are trans fat-free.

. . .

trans fat and saturated fat in margarines and butters; cookies and snack cakes; and savory snacks

Trans Fats Down In Many Snack Products, But Some Cheaper Snacks Still Have Significant Amounts

Butters?

Ive never heard of butter containing trans-fats..

From my understanding trans-fats are hydrogenated mono/polyunsaturated fats, this makes them artificially more saturated and hence have a higher melting point. This is what is done to make your margerine - which is hydrogenated vegetable oils.. So what would you rather eat micheal, oils that have been artifically racidised or natural butter?

Ive never heard of butter containing trans-fats..

No me neither. I was surprised by that science quote.

Perhaps they could be the 'easy spread' "butters" etc.

Although I think they are just butter mixed with canola oil.

I have noticed some 'almost butters' on the supermarket shelves. Legally I don't think they can call them "Butter"

So what would you rather eat micheal, oils that have been artifically racidised or natural butter?

No contest; but there seems to have been a good 'anti-PR job' done on butter Most people seem to eat margarine these days. Cheap nasty ones at that. It does spread easer than butter- a big +

I wonder how ghee ranks next to canola or olive oil for cooking?

Because it heats to a higher temp(?), food may absorb less fat when cooking?

In the warmer months I find that butter will spread just fine - in winter it just takes 10 seconds in the microwave. I much rather this small inconvenience than using marg - I especially dislike the way it tastes and how it melts..

When cooking at a reasonably high temp (I think around 80C) vegetable oils can burn and become rancid, what is this ghee you speak of?

GHEE

From my favourite cooking show. not that I ever cook what they say, but I love watching it!

Ghee - ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef

Method

A lot of people think Ghee is just another name for clarified butter – but that’s not quite true! They start at the same place, but there’s one big difference.

When you’re preparing clarified butter you use a gentle heat: all you’re trying to do is separate the fats from the solids, rather than trying to change the flavour.

With ghee, you’re doing the same separation, but you also want to convert the milk solids, which calls for a little more heat. First you evaporate off some of the water, and then you go through the stage of converting the solids – a bit like nut-browning butter. The last step is to strain out the solids, and then you’re left with nut-brown clarified butter – and that is your ghee. As well as being able to withstand high temperatures it also imparts a beautiful nutty flavour to your cooking.

PS

I just found you can get spiritual, new age and poetic about Ghee!

Ghee- What is it ?

Ghee is clarified butter, the butter oil, without the lactose and other milk solids. It is traditionally prepared by gently heating butter until it becomes a clear golden liquid. The lactose and other milk solids coagulate and are meticulously removed. This process also evaporates most of the natural water content, making ghee light, pure and resistant to spoilage.

BENEFITS RECOGNISED IN THE AYURVEDIC TEXTS

Ayurveda considers ghee the ultimate cooking oil, with diverse mind/body benefits listed in the ancient texts.

• * Absorption: Ghee is an integral part of the science of ayurvedic herbal formulation. Since ghee is an oil, it can bond with lipid-soluble nutrients and herbs to penetrate the lipid-based cell walls of the body. It is stated to increase the potency of certain herbs by carrying the active components to the interior of the cells where they impart the most benefit.
  • * Preservative: Ghee does not spoil easily, and actually preserves the original freshness and potency of herbs and foods. It does not need refrigeration.
  • * Digestion: The ayurvedic texts say that Ghee helps balance excess stomach acid, and helps maintain/repair the mucus lining of the stomach.
  • * Mild Burns: Like aloe, Ghee is said to prevent blisters and scarring if applied quickly to affected skin.
  • * Mind: Ghee is said to promote all three aspects of mental functioning -- learning, memory and recall.
  • * Ayurvedic Balance: Ghee balances both Vata (the ayurvedic mind/body operator that controls movement in mind and body) and Pitta (the operator that controls heat and metabolism).

THE RIGHT KIND OF FAT

It is generally recognized that some fat is essential for health.

A totally fat-free diet can actually accelerate aging of the skin, nerves and brain cells. Without an adequate quantity of the right kind of fat in the diet, cell regeneration can be adversely impacted.

Fats are needed for efficient absorption of crucial lipid-soluble vitamins such as A, E, D and K. The stomach lining, which protects the stomach from the acids it secretes to help break down foods, needs fat to maintain a healthy coating.

Similarly, cholesterol in the body serves functions that are crucial to health, such as building cell membranes, and hormone and bile balance. It is when cholesterol is damaged by harmful free radicals that it leads to clogged arteries and heart problems.

Ghee imparts the benefits of the best essential fatty acids without the problems of oxidized cholesterol, trans-fatty acids or hydrogenated fats.

It is also resistant to free radical damage and is both salt and lactose free.

VERSATILE COOKING MEDIUM

Ghee has an excellent aroma and is so flavorful that you can use half or two-thirds as much as other cooking oils.

It has a very high burning point and doesn’t burn or smoke during cooking.

It combines excellently with a wide variety of spices. You can use ghee to sauté foods, in baking, to deep-fry, or even as a spread.

We have just recently stocked an Organic Ghee from Vedic Bliss who use an unsalted organic butter.

ghee

I confess I have never used ghee. Has anyone else used it?