Science Forums

Omnipotence of God

severus

severus,

First, WELCOME to the Forums. We're glad you found this place, and hope you will enjoy sharing your ideas with others. Also, we hope that you will be willing to accept the constructive criticism (and sometimes skepticism) of others.

You pose an interesting question, and people all over the world have pondered it for years. However, most of those here would first ask what makes you think that an entity that does not exist could create ANY rock. So why don't you start there?

I'll ask before others do, as I've seen this conversation played out here more than a few times. Nevertheless, it is interesting for me all the same. Do you have proof that there IS a God? If not, then we might as well not even ponder whether or not a rock could be created that is too large for Him to lift.

(See, Freethinker, I made it my New Year's resolution to try my darnedest to be a little tougher with all of the believer's running rampant at this site lately. :) )

Thank you for the welcome.

I wouldn't class myself as a believer. I have no such stated acceptances, hence why I have joined these forums - to perceive new ideals!

In asking the question, I am philosophying (the section is called Philosophy and Humanities).

I have read some of your other posts IrishEyes and know you class yourself as a believer. Maybe I should rephrase my question...

From the perspective of a believer, could God create a stone that He could not lift?

Who or what do you think of as God? It is such a huge idea that I think written scripture may fall short of God... I think of God..if that's what you want to call it...when I think of such great questions that even the greatest scientists or most evolved alien lifeform can't answer. I get goosebumps just thinking of it.

If as I believe, God created the universe, then he fully understands it. Using this as a base for a logical diffinition, you could say that God is the universe understanding itself. If one examines the complexity of the universe "that is the small amount we can preceive" one must come to the conclusion that it must be so. This harmony can not be just some grandious mistake of socalled nature. About your rock question, I choose rather to believe that God can lift anything that he can create.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. was searching on Google and came across the site. I must say...it's a new haven for me :)

I have a question - Could God create a stone that he could not lift?

I suppose we're talking about an omnipotent god here, because of the title. The question one could ask is, from where should she lift it?

I suppose we're talking about an omnipotent god here, because of the title. The question one could ask is, from where should she lift it?

Indeed. Or even, if the omnipotent god rises out of a universe that understands itself (if I got infamous' statement right), where does the universe come from in the first place?

Basically -

If God could create a stone that He could not lift - then is He still omnipotent?

OR

If God could not create a stone that he could not lift - then is He still omnipotent?

I see your point Tormod, where did the universe that understands itself originate from to allow it to give rise to God...?

But then, that is only one persons belief in what God is.

I see your point Tormod, where did the universe that understands itself originate from to allow it to give rise to God...? But then, that is only one persons belief in what God is.

Yes, but it is an interesting viewpoint. It's sort of a "cosmic" gaia theory.

Hi severus, welcome. I hope you are here for some fun. That is what we regulars strive for one way or other. Sometimes more of a mosh pit than hard core science. But both can help us learn.

(See, Freethinker, I made it my New Year's resolution to try my darnedest to be a little tougher with all of the believer's running rampant at this site lately. :) )

Ya right, Your just trying to increase the spread between Tormod and I by taking away my job!:-)

IrishEyes...

From the perspective of a believer, could God create a stone that He could not lift?

Interesting to note that Irish has not jumped into any such discussions for quite a while. And while she took the time to welcome and warn you, she has not priviledged you with an actual answer!

Well Irish. Where does your god fall along this line? Enquiring minds and new members would like to know. You do not want to be inhospitable to a new member that is willing to start a new thread!

Who or what do you think of as God? It is such a huge idea that I think written scripture may fall short of God... I think of God..if that's what you want to call it...when I think of such great questions that even the greatest scientists or most evolved alien lifeform can't answer. I get goosebumps just thinking of it.

OK, of course, but....

In some ways a relevant question, who or what in order to discuss how or if.

It would seem the original question could have been framed better minus the god word.

"Would an all powerful being...."

Let's face it, the god of any scripture is a pathetic loser incapable of even getting it's own creation to write it's perfect word down accurately enough for anything of value. Much less to be able to challenge the impossible.