Science Forums

New Comet for the New Year

Aki

The news has several stories about a fairly new comet named Comet Machholz discovered by Don Machholz. The comet will be able to be seen in the sky on Jan. 1 and Jan. 2 or Jan. 5 through 8. Along with the comet's appearance: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn will all be able to be seen with a naked eye this month. However, you will need binoculars to see the comet.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20050101/sc_space/doorstepastronomynewcometlookingbright

Thanks Aki.

You and Tim have inspired me to get my son involved in a local astronomy club. Hopefully, we'll be able to attend some star parties, and will enjoy seeing all of these things that you guys always tell me about. Honestly, my son never complains about my being at Hypography anymore. He just asks if any of you know when the next thing he can see with his telescope will be!

See, Tormod, another Hypography convert! Keep it up and the whole family will be involved.

no chance of seeing the comet here, the sky is all cloudy.

hehe, remembered back in china, i was trying to join a local amateur astronomy club... b/c i attended a summer class held by that club and I was stunned by those pictures...

well, i went to American that summer and everything was over... anyway, i didnt have the money to buy a telescope :)

$100 for Chinese New Year?

Can I convert to Chinese? lol Jut kidding, Tim!

Seriously, I feel bad. I missed both of your birthdays. Maybe I'll have to talk to Tormod about this situation.

Oh and Tim, stop Hypography-ing for the 10 minutesit will take to check out this website. See if you can attend one of their functions, and talk to them BEFORE you spend your money on anything. Also, this would be a cool opportunity for you to check out what other people have, and possibly build your own telescope.

http://www.starastronomy.org

At least give the site a look, ok?

And Aki, lots of ams start out with binocs, from what I've read. You can see more with them than the rest of us naked-eyers, eh?:)