Science Forums

Mind-Body connection

Taraxanoid

Some of you are scaring me. Why would anybody believe that the body and the mind are essentially the same thing? Why would anybody believe that our thoughts, our memories, our perceptions and our reactions are formulated and created from brain activity alone? I think science is getting to your heads.. Some of you have lost your imaginations and philosophies in favour of scientific swansong and a need of proof. But any scientist must be willing to accept contradictions in his research or alternate theories.

What I present to you is a mere philosophy of mine that some may also share. I give you the mind-body connection. This answers the mind-body problem with a simple ideal: that part of the body acts as a receiver and transmitter of one's Self. The Self in this case is of course, the mind. And the mind in this case is of course, the soul. The part of the body that is controlled by the mind and that sends the mind information is something we are all familiar with (and something in which many of us consider to be the mind already). That's right, its the brain. The brain retrieves information from the mind to then relay to the rest of the body, creating subconscious, unconscious and conscious animation. The main issue with this connection is where exactly the mind is situated. I like to think it is situated at any place at any one time, occupying itself in a region that is outside the confines of physical space and time. Perhaps another dimension of this universe altogether. We compose thoughts and memories and perceptions from the activity of our brain.. But we are only able to interpret and act with these things from the activity of the mind.

Why would anybody believe that our thoughts, our memories, our perceptions and our reactions are formulated and created from brain activity alone?

Mostly because there's zero evidence to the contrary. What you believe and what you wish to be and what you want to be matters little when it comes to the body of evidence at hand.

I think the brains dense, large, overdriven functions have manifested a greater mind, and through time greater minds will emerge and bloom, especially with the help of AI in the near future.

Without the brains, there would be no mind, this is true.

There's something very spiritual, intangible, and mysterious about the mind . . and until science unveils it's magic truth it will be this divine ability we all share in awe IMO.

You can climb the mind higher than simply awareness, but that's a whole 'nother story!

The mindfield is a mindf***!

In open-brain surgery, touching certain sections of the brain triggers old memories, induces certain smells, make the patient involuntarily say things that are completely out of context, induces hallucinations, etc. Every possible human experience can be triggered by playing around with the brain. Which is a strong indication that everything we are, our selves, are housed between our ears.

In open-brain surgery, touching certain sections of the brain triggers old memories, induces certain smells, make the patient involuntarily say things that are completely out of context, induces hallucinations, etc. Every possible human experience can be triggered by playing around with the brain. Which is a strong indication that everything we are, our selves, are housed between our ears.

True.

Wait a few decades when AI has surpassed human intelligence.

We're going to see simple function (organism)turn into self awareness(like us amazing wonderful human beings Now), and from that will spawn an even greater mind!

Sure, the brain is the center. The main filter. I also think the brain is something else, though.

Like, I wish I could explain to you my experiences with my brain. I can't. I try. I'll never be able to.

Like out of body experiences?? These happen rarely, but I have seen my existence from behind and above.

I've been in direct contact with divine wisdom. What is that?

Everyone talks about the white light, and god, and I know exactly what they are talking about.

Is that just a function of the brain, too?

You know what, it probably is. Probably just DMT, the spirit molecule, secreted and binding.

All of these things I'm obsessed with are really just songs.

Songs of memory, and possibility.

Songs of past.present.future.

I'm going to keep my mind open.

Science tells me it's all between the ears.

But God tells me otherwise!

When intelligence evolves, or manifests as a singularity from what has evolved,

it goes through stages.

These stages are right before our eyes, and I think we can use them to accurately predict what's to come.

NOT EXACTLY, that's impossible!

I just see the digital, I see the analog, and I see them fusing together to create a new form of intelligence that will act like a rocket and take us so higher and deeper into ourselves, AND the universe around us.

These simple, beautiful patterns in Life.

And dark matter. What if the brain's a door to dark matter?

Like seriously, You don't know that

and neither do I.

I can't wait to see the next pieces to the puzzle and how they fit into the Big Picture . .

every day.

Maybe some of you are toying too much with the idea that the mind stores the memory.. I never said that. Sure you can tinker with the brain to get some hilarious results, but that simply proves that memory and sense are elements stored and forgotten by the brain itself. The mind is more about the perception of these stored elements of the brain..

The mind is the third eye that sheds light on memory, and the many layers of self.

To think about ones thoughts is to have an eye behind the eye.

It's like a triangle

with a triangle inside of it.

The mind is everyone thinking everywhere, we

share.

To dream is to project, subject, and recieve.

Not necessarily. What it could indicate is that like turning a tap on and off, this is the control or reception point for such things but not the source (Water runs through a pipe but we all know it comes from a reservoir elsewhere and H2O itself is in the atmosphere and the vaster sea, not just within the control area itself or within Man's ability to control it at all).

Philosophers 1 - Scientists 0 (Only kidding Boerseun - put down that death ray!).

Not necessarily. What it could indicate is that like turning a tap on and off, this is the control or reception point for such things but not the source (Water runs through a pipe but we all know it comes from a reservoir elsewhere and H2O itself is in the atmosphere and the vaster sea, not just within the control area itself or within Man's ability to control it at all).

Philosophers 1 - Scientists 0 (Only kidding Boerseun - put down that death ray!).

Not quite. In said brain surgeries, when parts are removed because of anurisms or localised cancer or any particular reason, the patient has absolutely zero memories of what was triggerred before they removed it. It's like an incredibly selective amnesia, with the borders and limits of what's remembered seemingly delineated by the borders of the section of brain matter thats been removed.

Our memories lies on the outside of the brain, in the cerebral cortex. This is due to evolution, adding ever more complex layers over the initial clump of nerve matter that made up the first brain. This has been tested and proven satisfactorily. You can remove pieces of any other part of the brain (or body, for that matter) and not have the same effect.

So, in a revised scoreboard:

Philosophers 0 - Scientists 1

:)

It really depends what your opinion of "science" is.. How many tests and 'facts' does something require for it to be scientifically proven? That in itself is a philosophy. Can we safely say we know everything there is to know about the workings of the brain in relation to the 'storage' and creation of memories? No. There is always something to learn..

Not quite. In said brain surgeries, when parts are removed because of anurisms or localised cancer or any particular reason, the patient has absolutely zero memories of what was triggerred before they removed it. It's like an incredibly selective amnesia, with the borders and limits of what's remembered seemingly delineated by the borders of the section of brain matter thats been removed.

Our memories lies on the outside of the brain, in the cerebral cortex. This is due to evolution, adding ever more complex layers over the initial clump of nerve matter that made up the first brain. This has been tested and proven satisfactorily. You can remove pieces of any other part of the brain (or body, for that matter) and not have the same effect.

So, in a revised scoreboard:

Philosophers 0 - Scientists 1

Curses - foiled again! (Prof. Fate doesn't suffer fools gladly, especially if they're Professor Fate!). Still if I hadn't brought up that point, you couldn't have clarified your evidence and maybe wouldn't have needed to? Let me cogitate this some more - maybe I can come up with a logical explanation for this that leaves my argument intact - failing that I could always steal yoiur death ray!