Science Forums

"Wee Beasties" and other "Critters" in TP

• 3 weeks later...
Cutting carbon by farming microbes

By Rose Grant from Ross , TAS

Wednesday, 01/04/2009

A group of progressive farmers in the midlands of Tasmania are restoring the soil food web to 900 hectares of pasture in Tasmania.

They've been successful in getting a Federal Government $104,000 Caring for Our Country grant to put the biology back into the soils on the broadacre.

Cutting carbon by farming microbes. 01 Apr 2009. Rural Online. (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Audio

Brewing compost tea for the broad acre

Listen: MP3

Healthy humans are covered in bacteria, study says

It dosn't make my skin crawl. I'd just like to know more about the "free loaders".

We know so little don't we?

...Even if apparently our skin is crawling....

These "free loaders" IMHO are important to our health. We have evolved to live in harmony with them. In fact it can help (occasionally) to adopt the perspective that we evolved solely to be the perfect, self-feeding, environmental niche for these little beasties.... They evolved us--for their own purposes--and we do their bidding (notice how we are ruled by the gut!).

...but whatever....

They protect us from invaders who want to colonize and eat our flesh.

i.e. If you sterilize your skin, invading bacteria colonize the virgin territory within minutes.

If you just wash your skin, the normal bacteria take hours to repopulate (and prevent any rapid blooms of invading bacteria). -google: "surgical scrub-in" "bacterial count".

Your personal bacterial compliment protects you from MRSA. Don't mistreat your own colonies.

We aren't much different from soil in our need for healthy supporting ecosystems (microbes), water, nutrients, etc., eh?

Hi All,

This is Great News, I've been trying to contact Stamets for years about Char:

Erich

PAUL E. STAMETS

Fungi Perfecti®: the finest mushroom products for home and garden, farm and forest, people and planet, Fungi.Net—The International Mycological Network

email: [email protected] PHONE: (360) 951-1500 FAX: (360) 427-5861

The Stametsian Vision

for Sustaining Biospheres and Mitigating Global Warming

Dear Concerned Earthling, July, 2009

Please take a look at my ideas for saving the ecologies of Earth. Time is short. Now is

the time for action.

I have synergistic mycotechnologies that can jumpstart this process.

Background

Fungi, I believe, are the foundation of the food web. Fungi erect the humus platform for

re-greening our imperiled planet. Humus is the organic material in soils coming from decomposed flora and fauna that makes the Earth fertile.

Fungi were the first organisms on land ~1.3 billion years ago. Plants came to land ~600

million years later. Fungi secrete enzymes that break up calcium-bearing rocks and decompose organic matter. Carbon is sequestered into the polysaccharide rich exoskeleton of the fungal cells, called mycelium, and within the abundant calcium oxalate crystals (two CO2 molecules joined together) that form externally. As these thread-like “mycelial” cellular networks grow, soil is created in their path. Most organisms became co-dependent upon fungi after catastrophic degreenings of the planet. Two asteroid impacts 250 (putatively) and 65 million years ago created airborne debris fields that darkened the Earth and caused mass extinctions. Plants and animals that paired with fungi survived. Thanks to soils enhanced by fungal networks, the Earth regreened in a sudden proliferation of flora.

It’s time for another re-greening as Earth recoils from the on-going catastrophe inflicted by our species.

Fungi are keystone organisms for building humus in emerging habitats. Enhancing fungigenerated soil is one way we can offset global warming by sequestering carbon into humus. Fungi retain ~50% of the carbon they absorb into their cell walls from enzymatic breakdown of plants and animals. Thicker carbon-rich humus layers support more diverse food chains and life cycles, especially in the descendant plants that subsequently absorb carbon dioxide and respire oxygen. The carrying capacity of habitats is fortified, increasing carbon sequestration. Investing in the humus bank earns dividends in the natural currency of carbon credits. Moreover, fungi liberate and retain moisture while increasing the tenacity of soil structure, and making soils less prone to erosion. Several mycofiltraton test sites have proved these mycotechnologies work.

A Natural Solution: Mycorestoration Teacher Training Centers (Fungi.Net—The International Mycological Network)

A Mycorestoration(SM) Initiative will establish hubs on mycopermaculture,

mycoremediation, production centers on ethanol from mycelium and reforestation – all mobilizing

the power of fungi. Here are methods and co-products I have invented and tested:

Mycorestoration (SM) encompasses mycofiltration, mycoremediation, plant-fungal pairings for building soil, and strengthening food webs. As soils are enhanced, carrying capacity increases,and ecosystems re-green. Fungi create soils. Soils grow plants. Biodiversity blooms. Resilience in face of catastrophia is reinforced. More details can be found in my 2005 book Mycelium Running:

How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World (2005, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley.) In my workshops since 1980, I have taught thousands of students. Now I wish to serve as a teacher of teachers.

The Life Box™ I insert seeds and spores within the corrugations of recycled cardboard boxes used for shipping. Add water, and the box springs to life. By pairing seeds with beneficial fungi, plants uptake nutrients more efficiently, resist drought, and are better protected from disease.

Manufacturers and vendors could qualify for carbon credits for each package shipped. 1% market share in the U.S. would re-green 15,000 acres per week. Business patents are pending for carbon credits. Delivery systems are already in place: USPS, UPS, FED EX, and DHL. Boxes can be customized by zip code destination. I first presented this idea at a Department of Defense Advanced Research Agency (D.A.R.P.A.) charrette near Santa Barbara in February 2002 to aid

refugee communities in growing gardens and for maintaining traditional agrarian skills. This recycling technique can apply to other paper-based and biodegradable packaging materials.

Interactive websites can track growth of trees, confirming carbon sequestration, via Google

Earth™. USPTO Patent Applications: # 20080046277, 20080005046. Welcome to the Life Box Company

Mycopesticides preserve insect biodiversity by replacing toxic insecticides with natural mycological solutions. My most recently awarded U.S. patent # 7122176 covers ~ 200,000 species of insects. Australian patent # 20011296679 issued on August 21, 2008. These mycelially-based mycopesticides, attractants, phagostimulants and treatments may control insect plagues and the viral epidemics they vector. Mycopesticidal fungi can also attract/ protect beneficial insects. This suite of eco-friendly patents could replace most toxic chemical insecticides and revamp the petro-chemically centered pesticide industry, and as such my patents create ‘disruptive technologies’. One termite field trial completed successfully and published in a peer-reviewed social biology journal. Coordinating with the USDA/ARS within a CRADA research agreement. More field studies needed, and assistance for guidance through EPA registration needed. Exemption for use in New Orleans approved for spring 2009 trials. More divisional patents issuing in Australia and in the United States, for use of all entomopathogenic fungi, prior to sporulation, against all insects. On Jan. 7, 2009 6th District of Appeals cancels exemption of pesticides from Clean Water Act (http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2009/2009-

01-07-093.asp), meaning that termiticides can not be used around buildings pre-emptively.

Fungal Anti-Infectives for disease prevention. I have applied for several antiviral patents for methods and compositions of fungal strains for helping stave off flu viruses, including bird flu (H5N1), pox and SARS viruses. The U.S. Defense Dept BioShield BioDefense Program conducted in vitro tests. I have working cooperative research agreements with NCNPR (National Center for Natural Products Research) at the University of Mississippi, on poxviruses. (A vetted D0D press release is available at: yet2.com - Press Releases, Technology Transfer, R&D Spending Markets, yet2.com.

NPR interview: Smallpox Defense May Be Found in Mushrooms : NPR.) “Strong Angel,” a recent BioDefense DOD study authored by Dr. Eric Rasmussen, reported on the potential usefulness of medicinal mushrooms to protect against pandemics. Nearly 300 of my fungal samples have been tested and with hundreds of more samples are being tested this year. These fungal extracts supplement existing therapies, increasing our defenses for mitigating viral epidemics and bacterial infections. Furthermore, antibacterial tests confirm activity against TB, E. coli, and staph. Mammal studies begin October-November 2009 at U. of Illinois TB Research Center. At least 5 active Ingredients (AI’s), non-toxic to humans, for treating pox (Vaccinia) and TB (tuberculosis) will soon be identified by the Univ. of Illinois TB Research Center and the National Center for Natural Products Research. Discovery of gene sequences for AI’s planned.

Endorsements of my research from NCNPR and UIC available for review upon request.

Myconol™ & Mycohol™: This mycotechnology innovation (patent pending) centers on creating ethanol and enzymes from mycelium-on-cellulose. Currently we estimate fungi offer nearly 200 uniquely different enzymes, which can be used synergistically for creating sugars, detoxifying pollutants, enhancing benefits from other feedstocks. Species with unusually high activity identified. Myconol is cost effective when combined with the value added benefits seen from the mycotechnologies described herein.

Mycochar™: Mycochar is a uniquely designed form of Biochar, aka “Terra Preta”, infused with a plurality of fungi. Mycochar is structured from low temperature charcoalized wood whose microstructure is cavity rich – and within these cavities we have inserted mycorrhizal, endophytic, saprophytic, and mycopestical fungi. This synergistic community of fungi benefits plants growth, fortifying the plants with natural systems for nutrient uptake, minimizing the need for fertilizers and sequestering carbon.

Here is a post from Richard Hard commenting on a post I made about Paul Stamets new "Mycochar" product on the Biochar List;

"Larry Williams will also have something to say about this too. We both

have very strong opinion of natural recruitment of beneficial fungi,

namely basidiomycetes that are common cellulose and lignin decomposing

organisms. Many of these fungi are also indeed beneficial to plants

and form mycorrhizial connections, sometime weakly. Just like compost

tea , which is a selective cultural enrichment for bacteria and other

organisms in a highly aerobic rapid fermentation so is Larry's

technique of preparing wood chips , allowing colonization with

indigenous beneficial fungi.

If you want to go to Stamets, or Amaranthus, or Walmart for your

cultures fine do it. It will be an interesting study. what is

worthwhile to note is what I reported at the Richland conference -

Larry indeed has had positive results with biochar and colonized wood

chips. The challenge now for us is to repeat this formula with more

controlled conditions. A topic that may take us a year or two.

I think using innoculum from Stamets would be very interesting. I

think there are issues about the age, type and condition of the chips

themselves because of substrate nature and conditioning of the wood.

If you live on the other hand in the midwest or in the eastern coast

of the us why not make your culture from species that are native to

your area thereby adapted to the conditions of your environment. Also

you do not want to introduce exotic species to your biome.

Why not allow a longer period of time and condition your wood chips

with local, indigenuous species.

To do this I would do the following - - - - - - -

Set up a pile of wood chips with a source that are fresh and not yet

rotting or fermenting.

Go out and collect in a natural forest rotting wood, rotting leaf

litter, and the organic layer that resides on the surface of the soil

under the rotten organic matter.

Mix these materials into the wood chips and set up the pile so that it

does not heat up. - - - -this is not a compost pile - - - - this is a

selective cultural enrichment.

Work this pile now and then and wait until the chips are fully

involved with a coarse white mycelium.

I would suggest urea or urine at this point will enhance this process

Once the wood is involved incorporate the biochar and enrich further

with urine or urea and after some length of time depending on the

season add to your soil or test plots.

Larry want to add to this???

Rich

I think PAUL E. STAMETS has a useful-mushroom spore selling business.

i just read his catalogue and drooled.

Not a legal import into Oz.

It has belatedly dawned on me that the water holding propertied of char are due to the build up in the soil of microrganisms; not the char itself. IOW it is a catalyst for enabling soil microbiology and therefore water retention in the soil.

I guess Australia's problem is that we need some water first, otherwise nothing lives.

While one can't sell charcoal as a replacement for the dangerous, useless and toxic "water holding crystals" charcoal will eventually do a better job over time (12 months? + organic matter, compost tea, or sugar?)

We may be a more Phosphate based life form than a carbon based one

Origin of life: building an RNA world from simple chemicals - Ars Technica

I'm not sure I get it

So they made a soup that helped RNA form more complex RNA?

Or did they make RNA from scratch in the soup?

This was helped by saturating the soup with phosphate that kept the pH on the level

(How did it do that? Does it do that in other places like soil?)

Well maybe not a soup; more like a receipie? (Creationists should love this--from the Supreme Chef?)

The big stumbling block seems to be the fact that the authors kept one of the chemicals out of the reaction mix until the third step of the synthesis.

I'm curious to see what kind of yields they might get if they put all the reactants together at once

By Manipulating Oxygen, Scientists Coax Bacteria Into Never-Before-Seen Solitary Wave

ScienceDaily (July 17, 2009) — Bacteria know that they are too small to make an impact individually. So they wait, they multiply, and then they engage in behaviors that are only successful when all cells participate in unison.

There are hundreds of behaviors that bacteria carry out in such communities.

Now researchers at Rockefeller University have discovered one that has never been observed or described before in a living system.

Ring leader. A photograph of Libchaber's experiment shows a ring of motionless E. coli bacteria (green) forming a wave. (Credit: Image courtesy of Rockefeller University)

The bacteria accumulate and form a solitary propagating wave that moves with constant velocity and without changing shape. But while the front is moving, each bacterium in it isn’t moving at all.

“It’s like a soliton,” says Douarche. “A self-reinforcing solitary wave.”

Unlike the undulating pattern of an ocean wave, which flattens or topples over as it approaches the shore, a soliton is a solitary, self-sustaining wave that behaves like a particle. For example, when two solitons collide, they merge into one and then separate into two with the same shape and velocity as before the collision. The first soliton was observed in 1834 at a canal in Scotland by John Scott Russell,. . .

. . . .

Plant-driven Fungal Weathering: Early Stages Of Mineral Alteration At The Nanometer Scale

ScienceDaily (July 1, 2009) — For the first time, the boundary between fungi and rock has been imaged on a nanoscale -- unraveling the fundamental processes by which fungi break down rocks into soil whilst extracting essential nutrients.

'Rosetta Stone' Of Bacterial Communication Discovered

ScienceDaily (July 13, 2009) — The Rosetta Stone of bacterial communication may have been found.

Although they have no sensory organs, bacteria can get a good idea about what's going on in their neighborhood and communicate with each other, mainly by secreting and taking in chemicals from their surrounding environment.

Even though there are millions of different kinds of bacteria with their own ways of sensing the world around them, Duke University bioengineers believe they have found a principle common to all of them.

'Rosetta Stone' Of Bacterial Communication Discovered

Great, we discover this so we can muck about with it GM wise. We are "Blind bulls in a China shop".

'Natural' Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria Protect Soybeans From Aphids

ScienceDaily (Apr. 20, 2009) — An invasion of soybean aphids poses a problem for soybean farmers requiring application of pesticides, but a team of Penn State entomologists thinks a careful choice of nitrogen-fixing bacteria may provide protection against the sucking insects

'Natural' Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria Protect Soybeans From Aphids

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Chartarians,

This is a very nice presentation to explain the succession of predation and

nutrient cycling of the soil food web.

alot of fun to look through while wearing "char colored" glasses.

credit to the usual suspects;

Dr. Kristine Nichols – ARS Mandan, ND

Dr. Elaine Ingham – Oregon State University

Dr. Rebecca Phillips – ARS Mandan, ND

Dr. James Nardi – University of Illinois

http://www.ndswcs.org/documents/Rapid%20City%20conference/Thursday/StikaSoilQualityConcepts_SWCS_2009.pdf

Cheers,

Erich

Superb. Thanks Erich. If you know of any other primers or books on soil microbiology or soil ecology, please post them here. I want to buy some books to get a good background on them. :hyper:

I've been enjoying "Mycorrhizal Functioning: An Integrative Plant-Fungus Process"

The communication between plant and fungus, via a plethora of volatile and water-soluble chemicals, is amazing--and one can't help but think of the bio-oils in biochar!

Amazon.com: Mycorrhizal Functioning: An Integrative Plant-Fungal Process (9780412018916): Michael Allen: Books http://www.amazon.com/Mycorrhizal-Functioning-Integrative-Plant-Fungal-Process/dp/0412018918

"It is now known that over 90 percent of all plants have established integrative plant-fungal processes in their root systems, and it may well turn out to be the case that virtually all plants have mycorrhizae."

"This volume is comprehensive and covers both ectomycorrhizae (ECMF) and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae (VAMF), addressing concepts that are related to all the different groups."

===

...IMHO

In the same way that bacteria mutualistically guided the evolution of animals, the fungi directed and guided the evolution of plants.

p.s. ...but what does hydroponics do to the genetics that are involved with all that integrative functioning.

Interestingly--I learned from the book--supplied with an abundance of phosphorous, plants will reject the mutualism with the fungus ...or something along those lines.

...also it is the young growing plants which must establish the connection. Apparently you can't teach an old plant new tricks either. :clue:

I've been enjoying "Mycorrhizal Functioning: An Integrative Plant-Fungus Process"

The communication between plant and fungus, via a plethora of volatile and water-soluble chemicals, is amazing--and one can't help but think of the bio-oils in biochar!

Amazon.com: Mycorrhizal Functioning: An Integrative Plant-Fungal Process (9780412018916): Michael Allen: Books

===

...IMHO

In the same way that bacteria mutualistically guided the evolution of animals, the fungi directed and guided the evolution of plants.

p.s. ...but what does hydroponics do to the genetics that are involved with all that integrative functioning.

Amazing, yet we charge around the planet like" Bulls in a China Shop"

Interestingly--I learned from the book--supplied with an abundance of phosphorous, plants will reject the mutualism with the fungus ...or something along those lines.

I am not sure how this happens anymore. Most Oz soils are deficient and farmers apply tetra tonnes of super-phosphate every year-from a bag!

You, now, have to wonder how effective that is.

Farmers and gardeners may be better off dousing their soil with sugar?!

...also it is the young growing plants which must establish the connection. Apparently you can't teach an old plant new tricks either. :hyper:
Oz natives react badly to phosphorous fertilisers, They sometimes die and often languish.

What we don't know about what feeds us, and sustains us, is astounding!

• 4 weeks later...

Using Thread-like Fungi To Help High Elevation Pines Grow

She is part of a project that aims to restore fire to the national park, reduce the impact of noxious weeds and restore disturbed sites to native vegetation, including whitebark and limber pine.

The pines have declined from 40 to 60 percent across their range, and when the trees die, the fungi associated with them also die.

"Cathy's research on fungi and their importance to these pines at various life stages has led us to believe that we may no longer have the necessary fungi in our soils because of the long decline of both pines," said Cyndi Smith, conservation biologist at WLNP.

. . .

Mycorrhizae make the trees healthier and more able to resist disease, insects and drought," said Cripps.

Mycorrhizal fungi grow on the roots of 90 percent of plants, according to Cripps.

"Mycorrhizae extend the plants' root system and can get into places in the soil that the root system can't access," said Cripps.

Mycorrhizae take in, and share with the plant, nutrients such as phosphorous and nitrogen. The fungi can improve drought tolerance by delivering additional water to the trees. The trees leak sugars produced during photosynthesis that feed the fungus.

. . .

The seedlings with fungi in their soil become greener and more robust than the seedlings without the fungi, according to Cripps' unpublished results.

Using Thread-like Fungi To Help High Elevation Pines Grow

• 2 months later...

This is a good web resouce.

i haven't explored it all yet

(It comes via the Compost Tea list serve)

Some Photo, Video and Linked Resources for Organism Identification:

Contents;

Compost Tea

Organic Growing from a Microbial Perspective

So You Wanna Build A Compost Tea Brewer

Microbe Identification

Who I am

Stuff I'm Selling;

DVD

Microbulator Compost Tea Brewer

Microscopes For Sale

More Helpful Info & Ramblings;

Projects

Tests, Observations & Postulations

Resources & Links

Compost Tea Recipes

Microbe Organics

Microbes (endophytic bacteria) allow some cacti to live in and "eat" rocks:

BBC - Earth News - How cacti become 'rock busters'

ScienceDirect - Environmental and Experimental Botany : Rock-degrading endophytic bacteria in cacti

The natural world never ceases to amaze.

"endophytic bacteria " !!

Even in the seeds!

How does the cacti "acquire" these 'endophytic bacteria' ?--. mail order?

What bit of DNA does the shopping?

This study proposes that cacti capable of acquiring diverse populations of endophytes may give them an evolutionary advantage to gain a foothold on highly uncompromising terrain.

So,

the involvement of endophytic bacteria in rock weathering by cacti in a hot, subtropical desert and their possible contribution to primary colonization of barren rock.

The likelihood of no life elsewhere in the universe is NIL?

"endophytic bacteria " !!

Even in the seeds!

So,

The likelihood of no life elsewhere in the universe is NIL?

That always struck me as the most appropriate rhetorical question--to ask incredulously!

===

After hours of lobbying for biochar I can barely type, but I see my old friends, the wee beasties, were atop the

board--so I had to google:

endophytes azo bacteria

Top 3 results shown

Scholarly articles for endophytes azo bacteria

Bacterial endophytes and their interactions with hosts - Rosenblueth - Cited by 68

SHR5: a novel plant receptor kinase involved in ... - Vinagre - Cited by 12

Associative and endophytic nitrogen-fixing bacteria and … - Elmerich - Cited by 5

Search ResultsAssociative and endophytic nitrogen-fixing bacteria and ... - Google Books Resultby Claudine

Elmerich, William E. Newton - 2007 - Science - 321 pages

Molecular Phylogeny and Ecology of Azo spirillum and Other Nitrogen-fixing a-Subclass ... Rhizospheric and

Endophytic Bacteria: General Features 42 3. ...

Bacterial Endophytes and Their Interactions with Hostsare being performed on some endophytic bacteria, such as

Azo- arcus spp. (Battistoni et al. 2005), Herbaspirillum sp., Glucona- ...

apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/MPMI-19-0827 - Similar

by M Rosenblueth - 2006 - Cited by 68 - Related articles - All 7 versions

CiteULike: Bacterial endophytes: recent developments and applicationsAbstract Endophytic bacteria have been

found in virtually every plant studied, ... Endophytic bacteria can promote plant growth and yield and can act as ...

CiteULike: Bacterial endophytes: recent developments and applications - Cached - Similar

...and googling: endophytes fixation

...gave me....

Endophytic Colonization and In Planta Nitrogen Fixation by a ...tions affect the amount of nitrogen fixation by

endophytes. In this work, young seedlings of the inoculated rice plants were evaluated for nitrogen fixation ...

aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/67/11/5285.pdf - Similar

by A Elbeltagy - 2001 - Cited by 118 - Related articles - All 7 versions

Endophytic nitrogen fixation in dune grasses (Ammophila arenaria ...officinarum) in which endophytic fixation is

carried out by bacteria (Gluconoacetobacter diazotrophicus and. Herbaspirillum seropedicae) living in the ...

doi.wiley.com/10.1016/j.femsec.2004.04.010 - Similar

Nitrogen fixation within Poplar by endophytic bacteria ...We are in the process of testing the cuttings for nitrogen

fixation now. Objective Two: Poplar contain endophytic bacteria. With this award, I was able to ...

Nitrogen fixation within Poplar by endophytic bacteria - UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON - Cached - Similar

Associative and Endophytic Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria and ...Regulation of Nitrogen Fixation and Ammonium

Assimilation in Associative and Endophytic Nitrogen fixing Bacteria F. O. Pedrosa C. Elmerich 41 ...

search.barnesandnoble.com/...Endophytic.../9781402035418 - Cached - Similar

339 DIAZOTROPHIC ENDOPHYTES IN RICE: COLONIZATION AND NITROGEN ...This result suggested that

nitrogen fixation of endophytes in plants fluctuated based on physiological states of the host plants. ...

SpringerLink Home - Main - Similar

by A Alcaligenes - Related articles

===

Sorry to be so lazy, but I can't take much more research now.

===

Trees and plants that grow in (or by) running water (like willows and poplars) fortunately have N2 fixing endophytes, since the running water leaches away too many needed nutrients.

These endophytes are not the nodule forming type of rhizobia we normally think of with N2 fixation.

try googling: genus fixation

[Nitrogen-fixation by the cyanobacterial symbiont of the diatom genus. Hemiaulus....]

...and...

Nitrogen Fixation in the Genus Lolium : Abstract : NatureNitrogen Fixation in the Genus Lolium. R. BROWN. Top

of page ... of the nitrogen requirement of plants of the genus Lolium is met from atmospheric sources. ...

Nitrogen Fixation in the Genus Lolium : Abstract : Nature

p.s. If any links don't work, don't worry. This is just for inspiration, not to make any particular point.

~ ;)