Science Forums

Wetland Science

I have a question or two... How useful are wetland areas after they have been invaded by beavers? I was out cruising my local wetlands area and truly at the moment it seems more like a lake! Trees down everywhere, water deep enough for a kayak. Also what type of ecological system for Georgia would have plants in standing water but also deep shade? I would like to research what to put around my in-ground water cistern. Should I ever get it filled, it will have at least half the area in a man-made filtering system planted with some shady characters.... bog plants I am thinking, and some ferns? spikey grasses are around too, would it be ethical to go dig up a few from the areas I know are slated for demo or fill-in? Thx for any info or reasearch terms....

this is a lovely arraingment of sandhill cranes pics with music... a nesting pair and their offspring....

ROBERT GROVER PHOTOGRAPHY - Presented by Phanfare

I have a question or two... How useful are wetland areas after they have been invaded by beavers? I was out cruising my local wetlands area and truly at the moment it seems more like a lake! Trees down everywhere, water deep enough for a kayak.

In wetland classification, "open water" is a term used to describe wetlands that have shallow, inundated water. Beavers effectively dam up streams and backfill the floodplains with water. Any wetlands associated with the floodplain of that stream lose most of their botanical functionality, and the related ecological benefits that the plants can provide. For this reason, the first objective of wetland restoration projects in areas of high beaver activity is to eradicate the beaver by trapping. It seems counterintuitive, but beaver ponds function much differently than wetlands.

Also what type of ecological system for Georgia would have plants in standing water but also deep shade?

The best examples of "standing water, but also deep shade" in Georgia are found in the 'coastal plain' physiogeographic province of GA, which includes much of south Georgia up to the fall line. Wetlands in the coastal plain are typically dominated by trees with advantageous roots such as bald cypress and water tupelo.

For the piedmont region (which is where we both live), wetlands are mainly the expression of groundwater at low lying areas. Isolated wetlands are a bit more rare in the piedmont compared to the coastal plain (with the exception of special cases such as vernal pools found on the granite outcrops (ie Arabia Mountain)). So for the typical piedmont plants to use in your case, I would suggest: black willow (border plant, good shade), silky dogwood (border), elderberry (border), red maple (border, perhaps upper border), American lotus (emergent; you'd have to control it from spreading though), watercress (emergent). You will have to take into consideration your water depth and perimeter size to choose the best plants. If you have questions about that, just ask. :turtle:

...spikey grasses are around too, would it be ethical to go dig up a few from the areas I know are slated for demo or fill-in?

Such plant "thievery" is often referred to as "rescuing" and is a very noble cause imo. :D

In fact, I have a friend in WA that makes a business of it. He knows several contractors in his area and gets calls before the area is to be mowed over by bulldozers. He goes there days before and gets all the plants and trees he can. He takes them back to his sizeable property and grows them to marketable size. He does quite well too!

So yes, dig up those "spikey grasses", which are most likely rushes or sedges and have a try and transplanting them. I have no idea how successful such an operation could be, but I do know that they are generally very hardy plants and would probably cope with the transplant ok. If you do try, please post your results here as I'm interested to know. :doh:

Thx for any info or reasearch terms....

I love talking about this stuff (if you couldn't tell :eek_big: ), so the pleasure is all mine. <bow>

this is a lovely arraingment of sandhill cranes pics with music... a nesting pair and their offspring....

Those are great photos, thanks for sharing! I'm trying to learn my birds now, and it's really difficult for me. They don't stand still. :Glasses: (my eyesights pretty bad)

I first heard of sandhill cranes when you posted about the late arrival and multiple sightings at your locale. Ironically, I was out in the field, in Dekalb County, with a colleague and he mentioned how he had seen a flock of sandhill cranes at Arabia Mountain, also in Dekalb, in December and thought that it was bizarre.

'Tis strange indeed I must concede.

This is an excellent thread Freezy. It has escaped my attention.

Literally, just across the street, a nice wetland area was used to build a thoroughfare. a mass transit road connecting itself to new suburban sprawl and main arterial I-205..

I used to go about slinging in the mud of said wetland as a youngster! :Glasses: although small it was, Looking for bugs and what not. always a muddy foot upon return. :turtle: We even built a secret tree-fort out there!

Now its a mass transit road :doh:

Otak - Projects

Growth in sight - Vancouver Business Journal - Vancouver, WA

Full Release - News Releases - Clark County Washington

I have a question or two... How useful are wetland areas after they have been invaded by beavers? I was out cruising my local wetlands area and truly at the moment it seems more like a lake! Trees down everywhere, water deep enough for a kayak. Also what type of ecological system for Georgia would have plants in standing water but also deep shade? I would like to research what to put around my in-ground water cistern. Should I ever get it filled, it will have at least half the area in a man-made filtering system planted with some shady characters.... bog plants I am thinking, and some ferns? spikey grasses are around too, would it be ethical to go dig up a few from the areas I know are slated for demo or fill-in? Thx for any info or reasearch terms....

Is this your land or public land?

For area roads, they use a device similar to this one:

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/documents/clemson%20leveler.pdf

There was a group of beavers living just north of St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin. Kept plugging up the culvert along Highway 35. They used a device like the above one to allow for some standing water, yet not flood the road. I always thought it was pretty cool how they worked around the beavers, rather than taking them out.

Depending on the area (if its not completely flat), the beavers could enhance the diversity in the long run.

Is this your land or public land?

They are only my wetlands by interest and being somewhat affected when things go awry. At first I was mad at "them thar critters" for cutting down the trees that were potentially going to block the Highway views and noise. (I know, pretty selfish, but the tree cover is disappearing fast from all the building and now beavers)

Depending on the area (if its not completely flat), the beavers could enhance the diversity in the long run.

I am all for letting nature take it course, And their ecological engineering is truly amazing!

Then I got to thinking if all that land is flooded now when the next "big one" comes where will the water go? over our bridge? inundating the apartments? wiping out the sewers(again)? All this to allow a couple dozen critters free reign? Critters of which are in absolutely no threat of extinction? Hmm...

OK can we just break up their dams and defeat them by persistant messing with the habitat? They seem single minded and spreading.

There was a group of beavers living just north of St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin. Kept plugging up the culvert along Highway 35. They used a device like the above one to allow for some standing water, yet not flood the road.

Maybe this device could be used to drain the standing water, period! Run them off by defeating thier purpose? I had an old timer tell me the most successful way to erradicate them is percussive devices. No emotional trauma or relocating something that is not wanted elsewhere. Do you think he meant dynamite? I searched percussive devices and it came up with jack-hammers, I can't imagine anything humane about smashing them flat in their homes. :confused: Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I can't recall, it may have been the DNR who quoted me $160 dollars for every trap set with no guarantee of success. And then again stirring up the folks that own the land to get help with it or do something is a whole 'nother topic. Since it affects the city /county what part would they play in helping, since it would potentially be self help? rebuilding things ever couple of years has got to be pretty expensive, too. Who do I talk to about this?

Who do I talk to about this?

Ummm....me. :confused:

Seriously though, if the beavers are causing flooded roadways and such, GDOT would be happy to know I'm sure. (it might take them 3 years to do anything about it though :doh:)

You can always write your representative.

Also, check out this link:

USDA - APHIS

APHIS is the entity that does beaver trapping for wetland development (at least they have in the past here in GA). There is a link on their page to report a pest.

They are only my wetlands by interest and being somewhat affected when things go awry. At first I was mad at "them thar critters" for cutting down the trees that were potentially going to block the Highway views and noise. (I know, pretty selfish, but the tree cover is disappearing fast from all the building and now beavers)

So you have no idea if this is someones private land or if its public land? Do you have a location one could look up to view where exactly you mean (map quest type)?

Then I got to thinking if all that land is flooded now when the next "big one" comes where will the water go? over our bridge? inundating the apartments? wiping out the sewers(again)? All this to allow a couple dozen critters free reign? Critters of which are in absolutely no threat of extinction? Hmm...

OK can we just break up their dams and defeat them by persistant messing with the habitat? They seem single minded and spreading.

Are you saying the beavers were there when the sewers flooded before, or do you have no idea? Beaver dams hold back water and flooding occurs in areas no beaver dams exist. It may be the effort to take out the dams will actually increase the chance of flooding during the 'next big one' by allowing more movement of water.

Maybe this device could be used to drain the standing water, period! Run them off by defeating thier purpose? I had an old timer tell me the most successful way to erradicate them is percussive devices. No emotional trauma or relocating something that is not wanted elsewhere. Do you think he meant dynamite? I searched percussive devices and it came up with jack-hammers, I can't imagine anything humane about smashing them flat in their homes. :shrug: Has anyone heard of such a thing?

The device is used to keep water levels stable. It is usually used to (around here) allow the beavers to stay in an area and prevent them from increasing the water way. That way a territory is established and the battle between man and wildlife can be balanced.

As far as the old timers comment? It does sound like dynamite to me.

And then again stirring up the folks that own the land to get help with it or do something is a whole 'nother topic. Since it affects the city /county what part would they play in helping, since it would potentially be self help? rebuilding things ever couple of years has got to be pretty expensive, too. Who do I talk to about this?

Ah, so it is someones property. Well that changes everything.

• 5 months later...
The world's wetlands, threatened by development, dehydration and climate change, could release a planet-warming "carbon bomb" if they are destroyed, ecological scientists said on Sunday.

Wetlands contain 771 billion tons of greenhouse gases, one-fifth of all the carbon on Earth and about the same amount of carbon as is now in the atmosphere, the scientists said before an international conference linking wetlands and global warming.

Wetlands could unleash carbon bomb | Markets | Reuters

It is interesting how swamps are considered "bad" and not really worth saving. Hopefully this will change some people's perceptions.

• 1 month later...
Wetlands could unleash carbon bomb | Markets | Reuters

It is interesting how swamps are considered "bad" and not really worth saving. Hopefully this will change some people's perceptions.

Around here the idea was "No wet lands, no seafood" I live between a huge marine/brackish wet land area and a huge fresh water swamp area. We take our wet lands seriously here.

Around here the idea was "No wet lands, no seafood" I live between a huge marine/brackish wet land area and a huge fresh water swamp area. We take our wet lands seriously here.

Mangroves used to be seen as ugly, smelly bushes that prevented you having a true waterfront home.

Now they are all protected and in some areas being replanted. They are the nurseries for many fish and other marine life.

Many of Australia's outback swamps are very seasonal. We now have a little water in them after the big 10 year dry. They are now packed with every kind of nesting bird known to man:)

Regrettably, some are now beyond redemption and are almost pure sulphuric acid.:naughty:

Regrettably, some are now beyond redemption and are almost pure sulphuric acid.:turtle:

Can you please provide a link? I've never heard of such a thing.

In fact, in the USA, we categorize wetlands by three factors: plants, hydrology, and soils. In an environment of almost completely sulphuric acid, no plants would grow. You might find hydrology, but I'm quite sure the soils would be a bit different. :naughty:

Can you please provide a link? I've never heard of such a thing.

This should give it to you:_

Catalyst - Fire, Flood and Acid Mud - The Murray-Darling in Crisis

Click on the acid mud video. The other segmenets are worth watching to if you like environmental horror stories.

The Murray Darling is Australia's biggest river system. Think of the importance and length of the Mississippi with about 90% less water in it.

It runs though 4 of our 6 states and all argue about its use. Now the Federal government is going to take over its management. But for a lot of the system it is too late. Even a major rain event won't help. It is a national tragedy.

I would like to see a solar de-sal plant at its headwaters putting in mega gigalites of fresh water a week, but I don't think our technology or politicians are up to that yet.

The sad part about it is the Oz environment is used to drying out and then floods, but not to the degree of late.

When a flood occurs all the little planktonny-buggy-things come alive and start feeding and powering the food chain. But they can't survive in sulphuric acid. So even if these SO2 areas are flooded- they are stuffed; no life; and where does the sulphuric acid go?; downstream to wreak havoc elsewhere?

It is a tragedy of massive national and international proportions partly bought about by our own greed and ignorance in taking too much irrigation water from the system & government inaction, but also the extreme drought. In parts of the river last year you could have a picnic on the river bed there was so little water in it.

Murray-Darling Basin

The Murray-Darling Basin is one of Australia's largest drainage divisions and covers one-seventh of the continent.

It is ranked fifteenth in the world in terms of length and twenty first in terms of area. The Murray-Darling Basin includes the three largest rivers in Australia; the Murray River, the Darling River and the Murrumbidgee River.

The Murray-Darling Basin is very important for its biodiversity. At the time of European settlement, about 28 per cent of Australia's mammal species, about 48 per cent of its birds and some 19 per cent of its reptiles were found there.

There some 30,000 wetlands in the Murray-Darling Basin, and 15 have been listed under the international Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar Convention, Iran, 1977).

* Ramsar Convention on Wetlands

The Murray-Darling Basin is also very important for rural communities and Australia's economy. Three million Australians inside and outside the Murray-Darling Basin are directly dependent on its water.

About 85 per cent of all irrigation in Australia takes place in the Murray-Darling Basin, which supports an agricultural industry worth more than $9 billion per annum.

Murray-Darling Basin

The birds will suffer most as they breed in the wetlands.

Murray-Darling river system turns into acid

Article from: Herald Sun

Cathy Alexander and Nick Higginbottom

June 19, 2008 12:00am

THE parched Murray-Darling river system has started to die, turning into acid capable of burning human flesh.

A leaked scientific report to governments has warned parts of the river system, particularly the lower lakes close to the mouth, is on its last legs.

Mike Young, professor of water economics at the University of Adelaide, said parts of the Murray-Darling Basin were becoming acidic as underwater soils became exposed to the sun.

"If you put your hands in it you get burnt," Prof Young said. "This is sulphuric acid. Once you get to there, there's no turning back.

"Those systems are now dead forever."

Murray-Darling river system turns into acid | Herald Sun

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics Freeztar of the wetlands near my house I'd say I would get for you.. :turtle:

Its at the lowest waterpoint prolly for this area possible.

This is now Padden Parkway, a new corridor that makes easier access to major freeway and major shopping at Costco and Home Depot. At the expense of some wetland of course..

However, as we are somewhat environmentally cautious around these parts, they did try to minimize the damage.

Padden Parkway through a wetland area

On the fence

Looking in :):)

they always throw in a few tree stumps and logs for the birds