Science Forums

Encounter with aliens

sanctus

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aquagem and infamous.

Why do you think there will obviously be war? Do you really not believe in mankind do that point? Do you really think (to re-post my question which oermitted as well to change to morality) we never learn from our mistakes?Why?

Claiming history shows I don't accept as it doesn't show it (if you don't agree with my statement I'll developp it).

I think high technology does imply a high social agreement; a good morality if you will. At least more to the good than not. You do not reach higher technologies without considerable social cooperation, which is morality in action. The higher & more complex the technology, the more cooperation required.

From our perspective, an alien traveling around in space & just dropping by our rock is posessed of a higher technology than ours; so it seems reasonable they would also be posessed of a higher morality. :hihi:

I agree Aquagem; the topic was encounter with aliens, I'll take some of the responsibility for the drift off topic. It's very easy to get off track, maybe we should ask another question. How do you think society would react to this visit. Would we resist, cooperate, start a war, have our views changed about religion? It would certainly cause an abrupt change in just about every thing we believe in.

I will chime in (on original thread concept): I see it as being more likely positive. As we

have already done to other cultures. They go through a culture shock though adapt in

the end. Due to the vastness of space. Anybody who can reach us physically will likely

be much in advance of us. Arthur C. Clarke has used the concept in his novels and short

stories, "Anything [Technology] so advanced beyond another culture to would appear as

magic". Based on the aging of main sequence stars in our galaxy alone. These visitors

could be easily 10,000 years upto 10 Million in advance of us. We don't know. The

current thinking is that our galaxy is thought to have been around most of the age of the

universe. This gives a lot of time to have Pop I stars go through their cycle to produce

the heavier elements and all. If they have been here before, this would as big an event

as what is thought of as the Second coming (ya' know what I mean). I see advanced

civilizations that make that journey as being more benevolent. Call me optimistic. :hihi:

Maddog

I agree with you maddog, there will may be be a first reaction which could be classified as hostile, but I believe it will only be a tiny part of mankind. Afterwards, if there is no need to be hostile (what i don't believe as I say high technology implies high acceptance), this mouvements will die out.

Infamous.

Just one question: you often write Gotzya, can you explain me what it means (I guess something like you areed with me, but maybe it was the opposite).

Hello sanctus; Gotzya is an abbreviated term for, I understand your point, not to describe agreement or disagreement with said opinion, just a confirmation of understanding.

Aquagem and infamous.

Why do you think there will obviously be war? Do you really not believe in mankind do that point? Do you really think (to re-post my question which oermitted as well to change to morality) we never learn from our mistakes?Why?

Claiming history shows I don't accept as it doesn't show it (if you don't agree with my statement I'll developp it).

I don't believe that I suggested that war would be the ultimate outcome of such an encounter, only that it could be considered as a indisputable possibility. The results of this encounter would hinge upon the vested aims of both parties. If ET came with conquest in mind then I believe we would resist.

Ok I didn't understand what you wanted to say, I agree that war is an indisputable possibility, but I think it has a small probability to happen (unless we are attacked).

Hey sanctus; Saddam Husian didn't attack us either did he. Not to say we did the wrong thing when we went to war with him, history will judge that act. I find it difficult to believe that we humans will accept any intervention into our affairs without some conflict, right or wrong.

just as an amusing aside: in the director's commentary for the john carpenter film 'the thing' carpenter and actor kurt russell breifly discuss how the creature in the story is basically just doing what we would do if we were to come upon an inhabited planet. survival in its essence requires nothing but the ability to exploit ones surroundings (including surrounding entities).

Hey sanctus; Saddam Husian didn't attack us either did he. Not to say we did the wrong thing when we went to war with him, history will judge that act. I find it difficult to believe that we humans will accept any intervention into our affairs without some conflict, right or wrong.

No, as we both (and luckily many others) think, we say that the US hasn't been attacked. I'm sure that if you talk to Bush (sorry I should write bush, he doesn't merit the ;) about that he will tell you that the US have been attacked ant threathened. Just a matter of interpretation.