Science Forums

Global Warming Increases Species Extinctions Worldwide

InfiniteNow

You also like to argue for the hell of it.

I advise if you wish 1) further information about the study, and 2) to refute it's points, you contact the author directly or complete your own study to be published in opposition.

The purpose of my posting it here was to share with the community a work which I found interesting... not infallible.

...and believe it is wrong to draw conclusions when conclusions are not able to be drawn.

Wow, that's exactly the way I feel about gods, intelligent design and all that other stuff that some people just insist to be so. I wish more people would learn that hard physical evidence is more worth looking for than simply jumping to conclusions.....

Sorry if this is too obvious to say, but clearly the Earth cannot support us indefinitely. Climate change and other environmental ills of industrialization might just be the normal pains of a planet preparing to give birth. Maybe it's time to cut the apron strings and re-conceptualize ourselves as post-terrestrial. Then let's implement that vision in hardware.

Putting aside the causes of global warming, i.e, solar, terrestrial, natural like forest fires and volcanoes, or human, the data is showing an experiment in selective advantage. Rather than overly mourn the loss of selectively disadvantaged species, i.e, we should have a nice funeral, we should be marvelling at the species that are adapting for the future. We should sample the selectively advantageous species that are adapting quickly, and see if genetic changes occur in a short time.

Rather than overly mourn the loss of selectively disadvantaged species, i.e, we should have a nice funeral, we should be marvelling at the species that are adapting for the future.

Overall, I like the tone of this post ("let's make the best of it"), but one issue I take is it's arrogance. Who says humans will not be one of the disadvantaged species you reference? Who says we'll be around to appreciate nature's beauty as displayed through those which survive?

I'm thinking that was metaphorical speech.

IOW, let's create a plan to get our butts off this rock and then put it into action.

Not metaphorical at all. Gaia has been gestating for about 4.5 billion years. By "implement in hardware" I just mean let's take the archetypal vision of celestial habitation as a blueprint and build it. Yeah---let's Get Our Butts Off This Rock. Yesterday's paper had a front-page article on NASA's plan for a moon colony, and today's edition had letters from irate readers who can't see value in such an enterprise. In a sense I agree with them, but the issue is NASA's mission: is it to explore? Fine, then let's send the robots. BUT, maybe NASA's mission should be re-figured --- maybe the agency should be looking at the solar system as undeveloped real estate and get busy building the extraterrestrial infrastructure that will lure the private developers.